Metzeler Tourances for Scrambler- what sizes are you running?

Johnwb1

moped
Okay, so I’ve decided to go with a new set of Metzeler Tourances for my Scrambler. I’ve narrowed it down to the following retailers and sizes. I would like to stay with the stock tire sizes F-100/90-19, R-130/80-17 in order to insure that I have no problems; however, I’ve added other available sizes as a possibility as it seems that some people are using other-than-stock tire sizes with success.
What I am most concerned about is the front tire size/type. I seems that the fronts in stock size available from these sources I have listed are bias ply where as the rears are radials.
So, should I go with the stock size in bias ply or go for the 110/80-19 radial on the front? Which is going to be safest and give the best performance?
I’ve looked at many posts regarding using Metzeler Tourances on Scramblers; very few people have listed the size/type of tire they are running on the front.
So, any advice on size will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, and here are the current offerings that I am considering:

Motorcycle Superstore

Front
100/90H-19 - -- - $136.99
110/80VR-19 - -- - $126.99

Rear
130/80HR-17 - -- - $153.99
140/80HR-17 - -- - $166.99

Bike Bandit

Front
100/90-19 – Bias Ply – Tubeless $128.61
110/80-19-Radial-Tubeless $125.26

Rear
130/80/17-Radial-Tubeless $144.02
140/80/17-Radial Tubeless $156.08

Last edited:
Hi,

I have no experience of Metzelers, but have studied a lot of reviews etc. and
after a lot of deliberation two years ago, I fitted Avon Distanzias to my Scrambler.
Sizes: front 110/80x19 and rear 140/70x17.

I found them to be a huge improvement over the Bridgestone Trailwing OE, with predictable handling and good wear-rate.

I'm due to renew my tyres soon, and was tempted by the Michelin Anakee 2, but they are more expensive and an unknown quantity to me, so I'm sticking with what I know.....

If this is all too late, and you've fitted the Metzelers, I'd be interested to hear how you are getting on with them!

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
I run stock sizes quite happily. Just watch out where they're made - my latest were made in Brazil and have only lasted half as long as my previous made in Germany tyres.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Okay, so I’ve decided to go with a new set of Metzeler Tourances for my Scrambler. I’ve narrowed it down to the following retailers and sizes. I would like to stay with the stock tire sizes F-100/90-19, R-130/80-17 in order to insure that I have no problems; however, I’ve added other available sizes as a possibility as it seems that some people are using other-than-stock tire sizes with success.
What I am most concerned about is the front tire size/type. I seems that the fronts in stock size available from these sources I have listed are bias ply where as the rears are radials.
So, should I go with the stock size in bias ply or go for the 110/80-19 radial on the front? Which is going to be safest and give the best performance?
I’ve looked at many posts regarding using Metzeler Tourances on Scramblers; very few people have listed the size/type of tire they are running on the front.
So, any advice on size will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, and here are the current offerings that I am considering:

Motorcycle Superstore

Front
100/90H-19 - -- - $136.99
110/80VR-19 - -- - $126.99

Rear
130/80HR-17 - -- - $153.99
140/80HR-17 - -- - $166.99

Bike Bandit

Front
100/90-19 – Bias Ply – Tubeless $128.61
110/80-19-Radial-Tubeless $125.26

Rear
130/80/17-Radial-Tubeless $144.02
140/80/17-Radial Tubeless $156.08

Unless you've changed your wheels, you can't go tubeless.. I ended up with the EXP model tourances which are possibly the ones that Tomintoul is talking about.

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
No we can get both EXP and old style. Apparently the Brazilian ones are cheaper and I've now read a few threads where folks have had the same crappy mileage out of them. Might give Distanzias a go next.

Johnwb1

moped
I went with the old style in the stock sizes. I could only get the stock sizes in the U.S. if I went with the following:

Front
100/90-19 – Bias Ply
Rear
130/80/17-Radial

Hey TC,

You can go with a tubeless Metzeler tire on a spoked rim. You just have to put a tube in the tire!

On the Metzeler website they state that you must use a Metzeler tube if you are running a tubeless Metzeler tire on a spoked rim. I had to shop around to get the correct sizes of Metzeler tubes. I don't really know if this is just a marketing strategy to scare you into using their tubes, or if their is really a difference. I have heard that Metzeler tubes are high quality so, I was not going to take a chance with a different brand. I was a little disappointed when the tubes arrived in boxes labeled "Made in China".

The front was made in Brazil and the rear was made in Germany. The rear does appear to have a bit more tread.

The tires seem to handle better than the stock Bridgestones; however, I have not put them to the test as they aren't quite broken in yet.

MOSES

750cc
I have a Bonneville with Tourances 100/90-19 front and 140/80-17 on the rear. Love them other than the price but at about 7000 miles They impressed me ! Still thinking about a set of Michelin Anakee 2's next. They get some great reviews.

anything is better than death wings !

EncoreJoe

Scooter
I'm running Continental Trail Attacks with over 4,500 miles on them and still a good bit of tread left.

Happy with them so far.

Joe