Memorial Day

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Wobbly, I didn't have any question as to an Aussies slant on Memorial Day.

You seem to have read something into my initial inquiry. There certainly was no "intrusion", I was merely asking for clarification. Judging from the responses from the US guys, they read it that way too.

BTW, being from the UK, I am very aware of the sacrifices made by Aussies and Kiwis, but that wasn't what I was asking about.

Isn't "asking for clarification" a question?

As for the phrase "strangely quiet", I'm confused.....How did you want us to comment?? To me, there was an inferred question there.

My explanation of the Anzac tradition was merely to enlighten those who may not be aware of Australia's history. I was in the US on April 25 this year and very few people I spoke to were aware of what Anzac Day was let alone what it represents.

I knew I should have stayed out of this thread.

Nick Morey

Rocker

As for the phrase "strangely quiet", I'm confused.....How did you want us to comment?? To me, there was an inferred question there.

My explanation of the Anzac tradition was merely to enlighten those who may not be aware of Australia's history. I was in the US on April 25 this year and very few people I spoke to were aware of what Anzac Day was let alone what it represents.

Just my 2 cents, I found the Anzac tradition enlightening, and was also happy to post an explanation of Memorial Day to an inquiring Canadian, albeit a Wiki quote; and here is one forum member who feels everyone is welcome to chime in. There's plenty of boundaries in the world we don't need them on NBR too. Of course, I'm not the OP or the Dude, so as I said, just my 2 cents...

Sure Memorial Day is an American holiday, but it is reassuring to know our Allies of the past honor their fallen as well, and as B06Tang alluded to also, honor us by keeping our cemetaries on foreign lands in tip top shape. These are things that are good to know and we might not know them if nobody posted!

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Wobbly....it is just a cultural difference I think. I understand what you were expressing. I remember reading a book about Gallipoli and being enraged about the British Command and the wasted lives. Bottom line here "blood is blood" no matter who sheds it. For me all days of recognition from any countries facing off to and repressing evil countries intentions are due respect....enough said from me....
LMT

Motley

750cc

My asking for clarification obviously had the desired effect, to begin a dialogue. Sure I could have Googled the question, but then what good is having a forum if we don't talk with each other. Some who knew nothing about the significance of Memorial Day are now enlightened, as are those who knew nothing of ANZAC Day. I've lived next to, among and worked with Americans for the past thirty years but never fully understood what Memorial Day was about. I asked and was answered and am now the wiser.

whyme

TT Racer
I was surprised and happy to get a correct explanation from my 7 and 8 year old kids to what the difference was between Memorial and Veterans Days. They simply stated that Memorial day was for soldiers who died in wars and Veterans day is for soldiers that have fought in wars and are still living. Not bad!

Somebody in their school is doing a great job!! As for me, It was probably high school before I knew the difference or it was even discussed.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Since Veteran's Day keeps coming up I'm going to jump off topic here one more time to say, it burns my ass, to see bankers, gov't employees... & certain privileged office personnel where I work get that day off, and as a vet., I along with other veterans have to work. I've never had that day off! :wtf:is up with that? I put that bitch up at work a couple of years ago, they gave us vets a card for a free meal at the cafeteria! The next year nothing, again. I mean I ain't looking for a free meal, or a day off, but if I don't get the day off why should all those nonvets get it off? It's just friggin' goofy - formerly Sgt. Morey, Co. C 1/19th Inf., 25th Inf. Div.; Co. C 1/22 Inf., 4th Inf. Div.

edit - sorry... had to vent. I feel better now! :D

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
I was surprised and happy to get a correct explanation from my 7 and 8 year old kids to what the difference was between Memorial and Veterans Days. They simply stated that Memorial day was for soldiers who died in wars and Veterans day is for soldiers that have fought in wars and are still living. Not bad!

Somebody in their school is doing a great job!! As for me, It was probably high school before I knew the difference or it was even discussed.

Someone is going to start charging admission to this forum, iffn he finds out about the education we're getting. :thread:

Gretsch

Rocker
Since Veteran's Day keeps coming up I'm going to jump off topic here one more time to say, it burns my ass, to see bankers, gov't employees... & certain privileged office personnel where I work get that day off, and as a vet., I along with other veterans have to work. I've never had that day off! :wtf:is up with that? I put that bitch up at work a couple of years ago, they gave us vets a card for a free meal at the cafeteria! The next year nothing, again. I mean I ain't looking for a free meal, or a day off, but if I don't get the day off why should all those nonvets get it off? It's just friggin' goofy - formerly Sgt. Morey, Co. C 1/19th Inf., 25th Inf. Div.; Co. C 1/22 Inf., 4th Inf. Div.

edit - sorry... had to vent. I feel better now! :D

I couldn't agree more. All vet's should get this and veterans day off without exception.

loxpump

Rocker

I'm considered a veteran since I did serve in the military but I guess I still don't have a day.

Nick Morey

Rocker
"Veterans Day pays tribute to all American veterans--living or dead--but especially gives thanks to living veterans who served their country honorably during war or peacetime." - History.com

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
There is a good show running on PBS, "Hallowed Grounds", about American Military Cemeteries in foreign lands...

Let me know how that is if you watch it please. Unfortunately I can't get PBS over here and that is the one channel that I truly miss. If it is really good then I just might go to their website and buy the dvd...if it is that good. Before coming to Japan, I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath which is very close to Madingley cemetery in Cambridge, England. I would be curious to know if they cover that cemetery in this show.

The pictures that I put up earlier in this thread are from Madingley. I did a ride out to it in '09 but in '08 I ran the wreath detail for my squadron where we were in full service dress for it, I believe I put up the picture of the wreaths on the wall. We each had a wreath that we would hold and present it to the person that stood in front of us so that they could lay it on the wall in recognition. The people that we gave the wreaths to ranged from the US ambassador to Great Britain all the way to private citizens. My wreath bearer was an elderly gentleman from the midwest, and he made the trip each year to Madingley because he went to England to get trained and later was a D-day vet. This man showed up in his full service dress from that time period; he kept the uniform up all these years and still fit into them...he had to be at least in his later eighties and was sitting in a wheel chair. I stepped forward to present the wreath to him when the cue came to do so and he grabbed my forearm instead of taking the wreath and pulled me towards him and told me; 'son, you are going to have to help me out of this chair please...I'm not going to be wheeled up to the wall.' My answer was very simple; 'yes Sir.' I guided this man to the wall so he could lay his wreath down and it was obvious to see his discomfort having to stand. A formation of F-15s from Lakenheath came and did a low fly-by in recognition and after they buzzed the ceremony, then the anthem started. The itinerary was spelled out in a pamphlet when everyone first arrived so that all at the ceremony knew what was going to happen as well as when. I guided the man back to his chair and we were able to do this before the anthem started where he made another request to me; 'son, I know I could get you in trouble for this but please help me stand for the anthem.' If there is anyone in here not familiar with military customs and bearing, the gentleman was concerned that I could of spotlighted myself out because I would of been unable to stand at attention when the anthem was played which is a strict requirement when in uniform. I told this man that; 'you don't worry about that Sir, it would be my honor and not a problem at all.' So I helped this gentleman to remain standing, in his WWII full service dress uniform as he rendered his salute with tears in his eyes. He had been making the trip every year across the pond for Memorial day specifically at Madingley for over 50 years. Needless to say, this gentleman is one of my heroes. He served his country, saw the death of his buddies, and still took it upon himself to make that trip every year since...I was humbled to be in his presence and he made me damn proud.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
What a poignant story Tang. That there's people out there who don't just think about it but do it is very comforting to me.

Motley

750cc
Let me know how that is if you watch it please. Unfortunately I can't get PBS over here and that is the one channel that I truly miss. If it is really good then I just might go to their website and buy the dvd...if it is that good. Before coming to Japan, I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath which is very close to Madingley cemetery in Cambridge, England. I would be curious to know if they cover that cemetery in this show.

The pictures that I put up earlier in this thread are from Madingley. I did a ride out to it in '09 but in '08 I ran the wreath detail for my squadron where we were in full service dress for it, I believe I put up the picture of the wreaths on the wall. We each had a wreath that we would hold and present it to the person that stood in front of us so that they could lay it on the wall in recognition. The people that we gave the wreaths to ranged from the US ambassador to Great Britain all the way to private citizens. My wreath bearer was an elderly gentleman from the midwest, and he made the trip each year to Madingley because he went to England to get trained and later was a D-day vet. This man showed up in his full service dress from that time period; he kept the uniform up all these years and still fit into them...he had to be at least in his later eighties and was sitting in a wheel chair. I stepped forward to present the wreath to him when the cue came to do so and he grabbed my forearm instead of taking the wreath and pulled me towards him and told me; 'son, you are going to have to help me out of this chair please...I'm not going to be wheeled up to the wall.' My answer was very simple; 'yes Sir.' I guided this man to the wall so he could lay his wreath down and it was obvious to see his discomfort having to stand. A formation of F-15s from Lakenheath came and did a low fly-by in recognition and after they buzzed the ceremony, then the anthem started. The itinerary was spelled out in a pamphlet when everyone first arrived so that all at the ceremony knew what was going to happen as well as when. I guided the man back to his chair and we were able to do this before the anthem started where he made another request to me; 'son, I know I could get you in trouble for this but please help me stand for the anthem.' If there is anyone in here not familiar with military customs and bearing, the gentleman was concerned that I could of spotlighted myself out because I would of been unable to stand at attention when the anthem was played which is a strict requirement when in uniform. I told this man that; 'you don't worry about that Sir, it would be my honor and not a problem at all.' So I helped this gentleman to remain standing, in his WWII full service dress uniform as he rendered his salute with tears in his eyes. He had been making the trip every year across the pond for Memorial day specifically at Madingley for over 50 years. Needless to say, this gentleman is one of my heroes. He served his country, saw the death of his buddies, and still took it upon himself to make that trip every year since...I was humbled to be in his presence and he made me damn proud.

Wow, you've got stories to tell. This story was particularly good. You've gotta admire those old fellas.

whyme

TT Racer
Great Story. Hopefully the respect for our veterans will continue on. I have told my girls since they could talk to go up to every soldier or Vet and thank them for their service. They still do it today....a little more prodding but they do it.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Let me know how that is if you watch it please. Unfortunately I can't get PBS over here and that is the one channel that I truly miss. If it is really good then I just might go to their website and buy the dvd...if it is that good. Before coming to Japan, I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath which is very close to Madingley cemetery in Cambridge, England. I would be curious to know if they cover that cemetery in this show...

B06Tang, yes they showed pictures of Madingley (I recognized it from your pics posted earlier), they simply called it Cambridge, though. The show is well worth the money IMHO. They show these American Military Cemeteries around the world, explain why it is there, and do stories of particular soldiers honored there. They also talk to people who visit them from America and the countries where they are. Very human and touching to know these soldiers are so well honored and appreciated.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
It has been pointed out that Canadians observe Remembrance Day on 11/11 as do many others in our respective countries. As this thread may have waned by then I thought I would share a thought or two.

I have never served but I feel a great debt to those who have. I have been to Normandy in France. I spent a week at the D-Day beaches, Vimy Ridge, Beaumont Hamel and many Commonwealth gravesites. Though it may sound foolish I found myself crying more than once at the sheer enormity of the sacrifices and the scale of the destruction. I would strongly encourage any of you to visit Normandy if ever given the chance, it's a place you will never forget.

In Canada there is a poem that is known by all. In November we all recite it (especially in grade school) and it is the reason why so many of us wear poppies on our lapels in November.

Maybe you have heard of it...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

:canada::brit::scotland::australia::usa:

strokerlmt

jhillier71.......thank-you for the poem, In Flanders Field, .....I'm Canadian from wayyyyy bac and I had forgotten about John McCrae's poem.....we used to recite when I was in school in MonTreal. it is not foolish to understand, relate and feel what others have been through. It is interesting......I get quite emotional and teary when I think about my father and his quiet commitment to have a better world without Hitler ....I tell you alllll about my feelings but I don't tell my closest friends.......
LMT