Make Solo Seat Rack Stronger?

taw1126

Scooter
After lurking here and on ADVRider for a few weeks I broke down and bought a "leftover" 2008 Scrambler. Seems to be a great bike for me to get back into motorcycles after a short 18 year break.

My Scrambler was equipped with the tach, headlamp grill, and solo seat when I bought it. I thought the solo seat looked great but I had no idea the rack was so flimsy. Feels like it would buckle under the weight of a good sandwich. In fact, I'm considering swapping it out for a standard Bonneville seat and Ventura rack system (but not before I buy the TORS).

So...is there any way to easily add some strength under the plastic pan so the rack can support some weight? Keep in mind that I don't own a lathe, TIG welder, or paint booth...anything more complicated than a cordless drill and a few hand tools will be beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for help with what I'm sure is only the first of many questions.

Rhodie

Street Tracker
This is a major issue if you want to carry gear.
The base plastic has no inherent strength and needs to be connected to the subframe.

For touring I have constructed a larger rack
343706883_WmeLS-M.jpg

This is the MkI - MkII differs in that it is made out of stainless steel
and has additional gusset support beneath the rear struts.

I now carry around 40kgs easily
BurningSeason1LR.jpg

and sometimes ride two-up.
JJSoppong2copyLR.jpg

Here are some details on the mods I made:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616&page=199
Scroll half-way down to post #2981

I still use the original rack but only for running around town.
343706909_emNvk-M.jpg

With matching fanny pad.

Last edited:

taw1126

Scooter
Thanks Rhodie. I've enjoyed looking at your Scrambler (and videos) on ADVRider.com but haven't made it to the page you linked.

Your rack is awesome. Before I saw a solo seat/rack in person, I thought a pillion pad might be a viable way to carry a passenger on the rack...obviously Triumph didn't.

Your mods are beyond my fabrication abilities but I love the way it turned out for you. I may move ahead with a Bonneville "take-off" seat and the Ventura rack system.

Rocker

Two Stroke
If you go with a different seat make sure you get one of the accessory gel seats, the stock seats are only good for about 30 mins and then your butt gets numb. The single seat that you have now is one of the most comfortable available for the Sram, you have been spoiled, you just don't realize it yet.:welcome:

taw1126

Scooter
you have been spoiled, you just don't realize it yet.:welcome:
Thanks for the welcome, and one of my fears is that a replacement seat won't be as comfortable. I want a "regular" Bonneville seat (with the strap removed) to better match the look of the original TR6C's but I'll just keep the solo seat to swap out if the Bonneville seat is too uncomfortable.

DIRK

750cc
awesome post with those creative juices flowing i am surprised you've not made human flight possible. what slacking are you!

taw1126

Scooter
taw, I'm not sure if you visit ADVrider.com or not but I posted a detailed account with pics of the luggage rack mod that we did recently.
Thanks. I've been reading that Scrambler thread for over a month...found it when I was researching the new BMW F650GS, and by page 120 I'd bought the Scrambler instead.

I think I've only made it to page 215 or so but I'll skip ahead to check out your rack. At first glance it looks like your mod is well beyond my fabrication skills.

I carry a Fieldsheer expandable tail bag on mine. Two of it's integral bungees are wrapped around the rack posts and two go to the shock mounts. I routinely overstuff it with raingear, water, snacks, lunch, extra gloves and shoes, etc.
I know if I had a rigid case that it would have cracked the plastic rack base by now, but the flexibility and built in shock absorption of a soft bag helps you haul a little more. You just can't lock it-
I love the solo seat, but I would like to be able to haul a little more luggage. Has anybody tried one of the aftermarket racks in combination with the factory ornamental one? Would it look weird or lack utility? I only ever see the aftermarket rack used with the ironing board seat.
I still don't understand what Triumph was thinking with the current seat/rack setup. They got the look right, the comfort right, and the usefulness... not so much.