Mag wheel breakdown questions.

I tried searching but having really found much. Im planning on getting my mag wheels powder coated. I'm looking for advice or a write up on breaking down the wheels.

drlapo

Hooligan
you should ask your "painter" if you can leave the bearings in the wheel; probably not.
Removing them without damage will be a problem

strokerlmt

when I have powder coated any I removed any bushings, anything that has rubber has to come out. The oven is not crazy hot but enough to do damage. I played it safe and pressed out the bushings on swing arms and hubs, your case Mags, and replaced with new. IMHO if you are going this far , pull wheels, remove tires go all the way and don;t take a chance.
Just my 2 cents…
LMT

normandy

Street Tracker
Yup, bearings and seals have to come out.

The bearing and seal surface areas of the wheel should be taped off and not coated.

rkwfxd

Scooter
Yup, bearings and seals have to come out.

The bearing and seal surface areas of the wheel should be taped off and not coated.

I agree but is this a home garage job on the Bonnie? Can I knock them out with a socket and a punch or am I gonna need a full on press?

Thanks

normandy

Street Tracker
they will come out with a punch and hammer

Sorry man, but I couldn't get them that way, there is no surface to to place the punch on.

I layered some rubber oil line about 1" long that just fit inside the spacer tube between the bearings with a fender washer on each end. I then tightened the nut and bolt running through it until it crushed , spread and jammed solid in the spacer tube. I then used 2 extensions on the socket on the bolt for reach and hit it with my biggest hammer. The spacer acted as a punch and knocked the bearing right out. Even saved and reused the bearings, over 30,000 k's and counting on the job.

Motley

750cc
Sorry man, but I couldn't get them that way, there is no surface to to place the punch on.

I layered some rubber oil line about 1" long that just fit inside the spacer tube between the bearings with a fender washer on each end. I then tightened the nut and bolt running through it until it crushed , spread and jammed solid in the spacer tube. I then used 2 extensions on the socket on the bolt for reach and hit it with my biggest hammer. The spacer acted as a punch and knocked the bearing right out. Even saved and reused the bearings, over 30,000 k's and counting on the job.

Good thinking MacGyver. :up:

drlapo

Hooligan
if I understand this correctly, you applied force to the inner race of the bearing to drive it out of the hub. This transmitted the force through the balls to the outer race.
I would suspect that the races and possibly the balls were dented/damaged during this activity = new bearings are needed

Last edited:

rkwfxd

Scooter
Except he has already ridden over 33,000 kilometers (20,000 miles). Seems those dented balls are working OK.

drlapo

Hooligan
20,000 miles with damaged bearings is damn good luck
20,000 miles since the begining of March is even better

normandy

Street Tracker
Except he has already ridden over 33,000 kilometers (20,000 miles). Seems those dented balls are working OK.

Thank you.

I also thought the bearings would require replacement and after I inspected them I couldn't bring myself to trash them and they are doing fine. Still no noise, no wobble and no heat.

drlapo

Hooligan
keep an eye on those bearings a dented race will fail suddenly and catastrophically
they will not always rumble before total failure when the balls or race fracture

normandy

Street Tracker
I will keep an eye on them, thanks.

The purpose of my post was to offer an easy way to remove wheel bearings when there is a spacer interfering with access.