M Bar Woes...

six by six

Two Stroke
I had the same sort of problems. I bought the M-bars two years ago. All was good until I worked in my yard for a week. Regrading dirt and shoveling 2.5 tons of rock. My back was sore and I'm in physical therapy now. I can't ride the bike so I have a set of flat track bars on order from Bella Corse. These should do the trick. I'm not even 40 but I guess I'm just too old to look cool.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
What was it about the Superbars you didn't like Bluej? I've got a set but haven't tried them yet.

For my tastes they were too wide. But every body's different. It's all about personal ergonomics.

Well, ok, and looks. Thus I contemplate the Ace Bars. I actually have an extra set of M's that I bought from a fellow NBR-er thinking I'd powdercoat them but never got around to it. Anyone want to trade?

drlapo

Hooligan
M bars were originaly developed for the older Triumphs with the P handlebar clamps and are to be mounted in the lower position to mimic clip ons
mounting them in the "up" position is similar to mounting clubmans bars "up" to make chopper Z bars
sure you can do it; its just not what they were designed for

Easy13

Street Tracker
For my tastes they were too wide. But every body's different. It's all about personal ergonomics.

Well, ok, and looks. Thus I contemplate the Ace Bars. I actually have an extra set of M's that I bought from a fellow NBR-er thinking I'd powdercoat them but never got around to it. Anyone want to trade?

I have an older set of Hyde Ace bars and a 24" dragbar I'll swap for the Superbars... Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Easy13

Street Tracker
I've got M bars now, I'd like to find out if superbars would or would not be an improvement.

try this

I put my M bars on upside down.
They still look great and I can ride 5 hours no problem, except for my butt!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Trying out m bars. Anyone ever taken a few inches off of em? I'm thinking of cutting an inch out of the middle and maybe a bit off each end to pull them in tighter with the bike. Any opinions?

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Trying out m bars. Anyone ever taken a few inches off of em? I'm thinking of cutting an inch out of the middle and maybe a bit off each end to pull them in tighter with the bike. Any opinions?

The only possible issue I can see with this idea is the length of the cables.

There's a chance your cables will end up being too long causing kinks or bends in places you really don't want kinks or bends.

Then again I may be wrong, I'm sure others will have a view.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker

If you take an inch out of the middle which you should be able to do you need to mark a straight line along the length of center section so that when it is welded back together (I assume you would weld it back together though I suppose it is not strictly necessary) the bars aren't twisted and uncomfortable.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak

Wow I wonder what it's like to have new bars to try out?!?! :)