Lowering

Skeeter

Rocker
we lowerd my buddies o2 bonne by cuttin the rear springs and lowerin the forks in the triple clamps

fender

Street Tracker
You can also put shorter shock/springs on the rear. when I bought mine used thats what it had on it along with the fork tubes slide up in the triple clamp.

I'll be posting the shorter rear shocks and shortened side stand tomorrow in the buy sell form if your interested.

loxpump

Rocker
I have 30mm shorter Hagon shocks and fork tubes slid up about 3/4". I also shortened the center stand and put a bend in the side stand. I really like the lower feel. Especially with the seat.

seat1.jpg

Skeeter

Rocker
hahaha.. oh yea if you lower it, bend your kick stand or youll be playin games to find the sweet spot to leave your bike without it fallin...

loxpump

Rocker
Lox...your bike looks great. What kind of mirrors are you running?
Thanks,
George

Thanks, they're Yamaha VStar mirrors screwed on the stock Bonnie stems bent down to lower them and get a better view behind me. Here's a different view.

2008m2.jpg

biker7

Banned
Thanks. The stalks looked a bit different. Before going with Nap's...I tried with limited success to bend the stalk on my left mirror. I needed a bit more leverage I guess....as the factory mirror stems are quite stout as you know.
I like the changes you have made to personalize your Bonny.
Best,
George

retrorider

Scooter
NewBonneville sells a set of Ikon progressive shocks that are 1" shorter than stock, and British Customs sells lowered progressive springs for the front. These are the web sites;

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/ikon_shocks.html
http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-bonneville-lowered-progressive-fork-springs.html

I have 30mm shorter Hagon shocks and fork tubes slid up about 3/4".

I hadn't thought of that for the front. Is there any trick to sliding the fork tubes upward other than loosening the bolts? Does it interfere with the cables or the parts up front?

Last edited:

loxpump

Rocker
Just loosen the bolt and slide it up is all I did. I did relocate the horn under the tank just to make sure it didn't hit the fender, but have had no problems.

retrorider

Scooter
Just loosen the bolt and slide it up is all I did. I did relocate the horn under the tank just to make sure it didn't hit the fender, but have had no problems.

Thanks. I might try that after I install the lower shocks. First, I want to see how the shocks change the profile of the bike. The rear sits a little high now and I might like the look with just the rear shocks replaced.

loxpump

Rocker
You may want to also watch how it handles. You'll be changing the front fork rake angle somewhat. I wanted to keep mine as close as possible to the same.

retrorider

Scooter
If you lower the rear but not the front, doesn't that also change the fork angle? Will I see a handling difference if I lower the rear but not the front? Also, if I buy lowered progressive springs for the front from British Customs, does that do the same thing as simply sliding the forks upward in terms of changing the rake angle?

fender

Street Tracker
If you lower the rear but not the front, doesn't that also change the fork angle? Will I see a handling difference if I lower the rear but not the front? Also, if I buy lowered progressive springs for the front from British Customs, does that do the same thing as simply sliding the forks upward in terms of changing the rake angle?

Yes you will see a handling difference if you only lower one end of the bike. The lower progressive springs should be the equivalent of sliding the forks upwards. Based on the price difference I would buy the standard progressive spring and slide the fork up. More options for setting the ride height to match the rear and $20 cheaper.

DIRK

750cc
lowering

yes you can cut the springs or do it the better way would be to have a shorter shock built "works" and raise the forks. ride will be better but more bucks.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Lowering Question

Besides a small inseam (short legs) "What is the advantage to lowering a Bonne"? Handling?, ride?, looks? I am gonna be replacing my suspension & I was curious as to WHY lowering is mentioned on most shock adds?