Lowered Kickstand

Has anyone lowered their kickstand?
I lowered my bike last weekend with Progressive shocks and springs. I don't feel comfortable with the "lack of lean".
I'm considering a couple of options to get a little more angle.
Any suggestions?

strokerlmt

Cut ......weld.......not trying to be a jerk but figure out what you need.....take the stand off....take it to a shop...cut and weld.
I know what you mean....I hate throwing the kick stand down and feeling the bike is to upright ....
LMT

Stroker,

Do you know if the kickstand is cast or forged? I've got a fair amount of equipment to do it myself. If you know it may save having to bead blast to find out.

heat it up red hot with a torch near the foot, put some weight on it, bend to the desired level, spray paint, done. That, or cut out a section and reweld.

normandy

Street Tracker
heat it up red hot with a torch near the foot, put some weight on it, bend to the desired level, spray paint, done.

That's how I would do it.

Oh, make sure there is no interference with the pipes or something when it's up.

Last edited:
Sweat,

Thanks, That was one of the options that I was considering, the othere was to take it off an put it in the hydraulic press and put more bend in the angle that's already there, but if the damn thing is cast that option won't work.

whyme

TT Racer
The only thing I would worry about doing that is that you may make the flat part on the ground stick up at the end?? Not sure unless I went out and looked at it in the sub freezing garage.

Whyme,

Don't make that trip to the garage, I'll look at mine, I fired up the wood stove in my shop when I got home from work today.

loxpump

Rocker
I bent mine Sweat's way when I had mine lowered. Got it glowing, put it in a vice, used a large box end wrench and it bent easily. Now that I have Thruxton length shocks I had to bend it back. Nice thing about heating it is you can control pretty easily where you bend it.

whyme

TT Racer
Thanks...way too cold here. tdipalma lowered his bike and I asked him that question. He seemed to think it was ok. I have the parts to lower mine which I'll do in the Spring I guess I'll find out then as well.

loxpump

Rocker
I did two things. Put a slight double bend on it to keep the as foot flat as possible, and also did a little grinding on the bottom of the foot.

loxpump

Rocker
Kind of bent it up then down from that bend bent it back down some. Kind of had to play with it some to get it where I wanted it. You can localize the place it bends when you heat it. Worked for me, but I have put it back now that I have Thrux length shocks.

fender

Street Tracker
The heat and bend method sure seems the simplest. When I bought mine used is had shorter shocks and cut and welded side stand. Here is the pic of the stock vs shortened stand.

attachment.php

Kingmoham

Scooter
Bending Kick Stand...

Just a thought about bending the kick stand...

Wouldn't bending the stand necessitate relocation of the Kick Stand Stop, located on L/H exhaust bracket? And if so, how & where?

Thruxton
Kick%20Stand%20CU.jpg

Bonnie
bonnevilleT100_Kick%20Stand.jpg

loxpump

Rocker
Just a thought about bending the kick stand...

Wouldn't bending the stand necessitate relocation of the Kick Stand Stop, located on L/H exhaust bracket? And if so, how & where?

Thruxton
Kick%20Stand%20CU.jpg

Bonnie
bonnevilleT100_Kick%20Stand.jpg

When I bent mine it was on the part below the knob kick out part. I don't think the stop touches any part of that anyway.