Low bars V clip-ons

Fitted Thruxton clip-ons to the Scrambler recently so being that a picture paints a thousand words (or so they say), here's the comparison. The First pic was taken at Qld raceway and the second pic at Phillip Island only a few weeks back.

ABP_7636.jpg

PhillipIslandpicsSatDec42010006.jpg

Before we race prepped the bike for Phillip Island I rode it on the road with the clip-ons over a couple of weekends and found that the riding position became uncomfortable and tiring by the end of a days ride whereas the Speed Triple bars as fitted to the Scram in the top photo gives the perfect position for road riding with great all-day comfort. On the track it's a different story with the clip-ons feeling perfectly natural.

Another problem area was the Norman Hyde rear sets as shown in the pic below. Even after we shortened them by turning 'em down in a lathe they where still too low banging the ground creating a mental barrier to better corner speed. We are currently modifying them which will raise them about 3 inches and set then further back by about 2" to a position which is more typical of a full on sports bike like the D675. The new position has the pegs in line with the middle of the swing arm and aligned with the centre line of the frame section that runs up to under the seat.
013-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Thruxtons turning into Bonnies. Scramblers turning into Thruxtons. What's going on around here lately? Great looking bike!

Looks good, might consider wider rubber and wheels, they will give you added clearance and lean angle.

Good point but this is what we are running. 120/70x17 front and a 160/70x17 rear Continental Race Attacks which are the same as the top of range Pirellis. (Continental head hunted some of the Pirelli R&D team so the rumour goes).

The main problem at present is that I cannot get a 5" Excel rim so we have the 160 rear fitted to a 4 1/4" rim. This creates a taller crown and steeper sides on the tire and does not allow the tire to run right to the edge so its not ideal. You can see the chicken strip in the top photo of the first post if you look just behind the rear shock. You can also see why the pegs need to be lifted!
We could go to Bridgestones and fit a 150 on the rear but the Excel importer tells me the 5" rims are on their way... but so is Christmas (next year!) Here's a pic of the raised LH peg, we are still working on the rear brake master cylinder mounting bracket on the RH side. The rear brake resevoir has been relocated behind the RH sidecover just rear of the RH K&N air filter pod and can be seen in the second pic down.

TamarScramblerVan001.jpg

We are also working on a new muffler to replace the OEM Arrow muffler. The Arrow muffler weighs in at 2.3kg, the new one 1.3kg. The outlet has gone from 31.5mm to 35.5mm in diameter so a bit louder and maybe a another half a horsepower?? We are going to fit the same heat shield as the mid pipe to the end pipe and run some white exhaust wrapping around the curved middle section.

TamarScramblerVan002.jpg

TamarScramblerVan005.jpg

TamarScramblerVan003.jpg

Last edited:

Htdub

moped
Have you tried the Tomaselli Clips-ons? Just installed mine about a month back, huge difference in riding position, you can set them to whatever height and angle you want.

Have you tried the Tomaselli Clips-ons? Just installed mine about a month back, huge difference in riding position, you can set them to whatever height and angle you want.

Cant say I have but I am finding the stock Thruxton clip-ons just right or to put it another way, I find no issues with them on the track re the angle of the dangle. I guess if they dont give you pain and you are not conscious of them while riding then they're good. On the other hand, I am always conscious of the LSL clip-ons on my Speed Triple so some adjustability with those would be handy.

Pete R

Banned
Thruxtons turning into Bonnies. Scramblers turning into Thruxtons. What's going on around here lately? Great looking bike!

:finger2: :D

TamarScramblerVan001.jpg

The peg looks to be about 2" further forward than the Thrux jobbie, have you tried squizzing about for some Thruxton rearsets? I'm 5'9"/5'10" and reckon the Thrux position would be ideal for track work but if you're a tall fella you might want them even further back.

You've got a lovely bike Dave. It's a credit to you mate :)

:finger2: :D

TamarScramblerVan001.jpg

The peg looks to be about 2" further forward than the Thrux jobbie, have you tried squizzing about for some Thruxton rearsets? I'm 5'9"/5'10" and reckon the Thrux position would be ideal for track work but if you're a tall fella you might want them even further back.

You've got a lovely bike Dave. It's a credit to you mate :)

Thanks Pete. It was more a case of modifying what I had as I mighta had to sell my youngest daughter to pay for the OEM Thruxton jobbies. I also looked at the LSL items but I notice they dispense with the outer swing arm pivot supports which is probably OK for the lesser stresses of road use but I wondered if their removal might make things too bendy for the track. I didn't want to be the one to find out! So, we are modifying the Norman Hyde rear-sets which is only costing a few extra bucks here and there for some minor machining work.
Re the positioning, if you take a look at the right side pic of MARTHRUXTON's bike in the Thruxton picture thread you can see that the stock Thruxton peg is further back than mine by approx 30-40mm but mine are positioned higher by about 30-40mm which is what I was after as the Thruxton pegs will scrape without too much effort on the track. I am also 5'10" so I think it will be ok as it seems good sitting on the bike in the workshop. Gotta be better than what it was anyway!

Last edited:

kenelm

Scooter
Hi,
Any other pics with the speed triple bars. I'd love to see what they look like from riders view.
Cheers,
Ross

drlapo

Hooligan
I f**ked up my back clearing brush.
I may need to change the bars on my 05 Thruxton to something above the clamp.
I tried M bars and hated them: too wide
what works with the stock pegs?

drlapo

Hooligan
drlapo.....what about upside down ace bars if the m's are to wide????
LMT

I dunno? i was thinking about something like the old daytona sport or "cafe" bars
while most palces will tell you the width, pullback and rise not many tell you the angle of the grip so i was hoping someone would have a favorite to tell me about:d

I f**ked up my back clearing brush.
I may need to change the bars on my 05 Thruxton to something above the clamp.
I tried M bars and hated them: too wide
what works with the stock pegs?

What about stock Thruxton bars. I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they're narrower than M bars.