Lost thread on pods at highway speeds

whyme

TT Racer
I've been struggling through my carb set up issues after changing to the BC ARK. I gave up and brought it into the dealer...dealer says that the carbs were not balanced. Why, I don't know. Left dealer seemed ok for a bit then it went to the same old 3-4k RPMs and a stumble if a blip the throttle.

Here is where the lost thread comes in. I rarely ride on the highway but the other day I was on the highway and it was running like crap..like it was starving for fuel WTF now!!. I know I saw something about that at one point.

I guess back to the dealer who does not seem to know either.

drlapo

Hooligan
open the pilot air screw to 2 3/4 and add 2 shims to the needle
start with a 130 main jet, maybe as big as a 140 if you have "open" pipes
do you have the side covers in place?

curezee

Street Tracker
+1 on at least one shim and bigger jets if you are running on non-stock intake and exhaust.

whyme

TT Racer
yeah..tried everything and many combos. I think there is something else that keeps changing when I ride. Sean from BC said check vacuum plugs again. Side covers are on..yup have TORS and AI removal. 135s and 2 shims

thanks

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Here is Ventura's summary, from Trat ,

Here's the summary of the previous 10 pages!
During all of the testing and modding, my Scrambler was fitted with Zard 2:1 exhaust, but the initial results were the same as with NH after-market silencers.
It seems probable therefore that any opened-up exhaust system will give comparable results.
It was also without the AI system.
It was concluded during testing that the type of filter (stock paper or Uni) made no difference to A/F ratio, so this isn't included.
All the below adjustments were made to maintain an A/F ratio of between 13:1 and 13.7:1
This being the considered optimum.

Stock exhaust with snorkel................110 / 40 / no shims / 1.5 turns
Open exhaust + no snorkel................115 / 40 / no shims / 2.0 turns
Above + Restrictor gone....................120 / 40 / 1 shim / 1.0 turns
Above + enlarged filter inlet...............130 / 40 / no shims / 1.75 turns
Above + no airbox + no filters............145 / 40 / 1 shim / 2.0 turns
((assume) above with pod filters........140 / 40 / 1 shim / 2.0 turns)

whyme

TT Racer
Thanks Sal. I'm bringing it back in for service next week. It seems that it is ok until the engine warms up a bit. At one point last winter I did notice a slight gas drip when I pulled the choke lever out. There may be some type of intermittent leak? Air or fuel? It may have nothing to due with the pods etc