Loose Front Sprocket Nut

Beachfinn

Scooter
While checking most of the bearings and torquing stuff down yesterday I ran into a bit funny thing. I got to the front sprocket nut (never replaced) and the damn thing was hand tightened :mad:. the lock washer was bent as it should and it had both check paint dabs visible. I checked the exploded view and can't see any way it could loosen up (without eating away some serious metal). Maybe my bike was a Friday afternoon bike?! Now i have to wonder what else is loose...

rodburner

Rocker
If the lock washer was bent over,how do you know the 36mm nut is loose? You weren`t just moving the chain back and forth and saw the play in the shaft/sprocket assembly,right?
yahoo,300 posts...Why do I feel soooo,Spartan???

Last edited:

Beachfinn

Scooter
Actually I had the chain off the sprocket, held the sprocket and literally wiggled the nut. I bend the lock washer back and rolled the nut off with just the socket.

six by six

Two Stroke
Don't know how different the Thruxton is, but in my Bonneville service manual it says to hand tighten it. Strange I know.

KiwiRat

Scooter
When I replaced the countershaft sprocket on my T100, the tab washer was bent over as it should be, but when I removed it I found the nut was literally finger tight.

Needless to say, it aint now.

tomville

Scooter
Just going over my Thruxton for some routine maintenance and checks I too found the sprocket nut was loose, only the lock washer holding it in place. What size socket is that? looks about 35mm?