looking for advice on painting ...

phil

Street Tracker
I clear coated my fairing about a week ago and, the clear coat seem to still soft enough , that you can put your nail into it.. I 've tried to heat it with my small space heater and still it soft.. its rattle can dupli color for automotive paint.. I've tried to sand it and buff it, it turned out good.. but the finish is still soft... any thoughts, or advice.. thanks..

LoVel

Two Stroke
It will never hold up. We finally had a professional paint the wife's tank after multiple attempts. Everytime gas would touch it the paint would just start to melt and the magnets on the tank bag would always start working into it right away.

They add a hardener that I have never seen available in rattle can.

Duplicolor Bleh!

I agree with LoVel, recently I painted my white 01 Honda Shadow, black n clear with Duplicolor Paint Shop. Did it during the summer, plenty of dry time. First time I took her to fill up on gas and sure enough clear bubbled. Crap paint!!!
Re-did-doed over twice then sold the bike.

Want to put a British Flag on my new bike a 04 Bonneville. Guess what?! I'm gonna have a pro do it with pro paint!!!
Well my good friend who pin stripes, air brushes and tattoo's for a living! But I am going to spend money on quality paint not PepBoys crap in a can!!!

Jeff

Painting professionally is very easy. If you are intelligent, able to read and follow instructions, and have a high level of attention to detail you can paint and achieve professional results. If you don't believe me, look at my build thread in the project zone.

All it takes is the equipment (a gun, compressor, moisture trap, regulator= $500), patience, and intelligence.

Read for a week before hand, learn the process and do it right.

LoVel

Two Stroke
Painting professionally is very easy. If you are intelligent, able to read and follow instructions, and have a high level of attention to detail you can paint and achieve professional results. If you don't believe me, look at my build thread in the project zone.

They say two outta three aint bad but that's the one that kills me.

strokerlmt

Rattle cans suck.....I have an auto paint supply shop that has the aersol spray kits. Glass bottle with screw on throw away air can and nozzle. You purchse pro paint in pints or quarts + here is the deal/trick I believe, pro thinner. then you mix your own paint 4 to 1. I have had very good results. They also sell a pro clear coat that is awesome.
LMT

b717doc

Scooter
Here's my O'Reilly Auto Parts "Paint shop" home job I did on mine....very durable, and CHEAP!

PICT2672.jpg

PICT2669.jpg

PICT2671.jpg

The pinstriping is pretty easy too....

phil

Street Tracker
that looks pretty good 717doc.. .. I think a lot of it is just taking our time and preparation.. I guess if you don't have the money for"pro" stuff you need to make do with what you have and if it looks good to you , who cares what other people think..