Long Distance Comfort

mfriend

Scooter
How comfortable is the T100 on a long trip. Mine is (still) stock, so i was just wondering....... I used to have an 03 HD XLC883C, that I rode 8 hours down to Americade a couple years back, and that was rough. So far just tooling around town it is great.. any advice on changing out seat or other modes to make it more practical for long hauls......

Cheers
:canada:

strokerlmt

I used to play some hockey in Ottawa bac when I went to McGill university.
I have rear ricor shocks, front fork brace, damper and intimidators in front forks with a after market seat. I have done 7 hrs in a day. I was tired but the ride was comfortable.
LMT

buckie

Scooter
long distance

I have a gel seat, and I put some self-fashioned highway pegs up front. I'm able to go between 300 and 600 miles in a day, no problem. I do move my legs around quite a bit between the regular pegs, highway pegs and passenger pegs. It's a great all around bike, good on the long straight stretches and great on the twisties.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Probably a king and queen seat and a windshield. I personally wouldn't ride a bonnie a long distance but many here do.
Have fun.

TXRider60

Scooter
I have a gel seat, and I put some self-fashioned highway pegs up front. I'm able to go between 300 and 600 miles in a day, no problem. I do move my legs around quite a bit between the regular pegs, highway pegs and passenger pegs. It's a great all around bike, good on the long straight stretches and great on the twisties.

Yo, Buckle... Any more you can share on your self-fashioned pegs? Did they involve a rod and 2 U-bolts? Inquiring minds need to know!

Don't take much

Intiminators in the front forks, hagon rear shocks, a K&Q seat and changing the position of the stock handlebars has made my Bonneville an all day tourer.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I took a 3500 mile trip in '08, and have probably spent close to $1000 trying out different seats and windscreens. There are TONS of seat options (check the sticky thread), and even more screen options.

The screen will depend on your size and how much wind you like, but so far the best screen I've used is the GIVI A603. I'm 6'4" , and it kept the air off my chest without making my head feel like it was in a paint shaker. It was far better than the triumph "roadster" screen.

If you like a little more air on you and something a little less obtrusive, try the Dart Flyscreen. I'm not sold on this one yet, it takes the air off my chest and puts it directly on my shoulders. I think if i can make a couple adjustments, it may actually work quite well.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Not really wanting to get rid of my stock seat, I did a DIY seatmod (there are several websites that desribe how). Actually, it was pretty easy and made a big improvement. I'm planning to go back into it this weekend for a little fine-tuning, but having invested a couple hours and about $30, I'm good for 300+ miles a day and the seat still looks stock.

I have on 09 T100 with the stock seat still on it.. It is comfortable for the long ride.. Four weeks ago I rode mine from Colorado Springs to Florida nonstop. I spent 26 hours on the bike and the seat was fine..

Allen..... Rideaholic

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Not really wanting to get rid of my stock seat, I did a DIY seatmod (there are several websites that desribe how). Actually, it was pretty easy and made a big improvement. I'm planning to go back into it this weekend for a little fine-tuning, but having invested a couple hours and about $30, I'm good for 300+ miles a day and the seat still looks stock.
Easy...how about a DIY in the Project Zone with some pics? Believe this would be a popular mod.
Thanks.

mondokat

Scooter
I just finished a 2600 mile trip on my Bonnie. Stock seat, shocks, and all that. I have a crampbuster (http://crampbuster.com), which is AWESOME. Most WANTED mod during the trip, a windscreen of some sort. The wind on the freeway beats the crap out of you...

Easy13

Street Tracker
Better than pics (at least my pics, cameras and I do not get along):

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

Tons of info and a very good step-by-step. I hijacked one of my wife's Danskin exersize mats for the foam and it worked out great until she found out about it. Ended up trading one PITA for another...

jphickory

Banned
A Parabellum Scout fairing transformed my Bonneville. With the Scout there is virtually no wind load and the ride is quiet. I am 6 feet tall and the 18" screen is ideal for my riding height. I am looking over the screen 80% of the time and have no blast on my face or helmet.

This was the best mod I made to my bike. Most of my riding is on rural highways. With the the Scout and my stock silencers I can enjoy the peacefulness of the countryside. I previously had the Roadster Screen and there is no comparison in wind/noise reduction.

RideWeaver

Scooter
+1 on the Parabellum Scout fairing. I've done a couple 10+ hour trips and without the fairing it would've been....unpleasant.

Ben S

Scooter
my favorite gizmo..

is called a "Brake away"
expensive, but beautifully made and well worth the money.
Ben S