LMT Dessert Sled project

strokerlmt

Still working 7 days a week so it is time again for some stress relief. I have a pile of parts so I started to mock up a bike.
ANY and ALL ideas , thoughts, advice would be appreciated.
@I have the blue frame which is chopped. I will do the painting and thinking about a dessert sand flat color/or green or graphite flat. ???? Tank will be the same color.
@The fenders will be chopped same color as tank or maybe flat black ????
@Shinko 705s
@Thx to Flaco I bought his forks with progressive springs.
@Front fender will be attached to the fork brace + gators.
@Back of the frame is chopped 6 inches and a modified grab is behind the seat welded to frame for saddle bags.
@Seat and seat tray chopped 6 inches thinking of a black or dark brown bull hide leather.
@ajustable rear shocks
@bag holders are some surplus ammo cans
@I have a Bultaco head light
@I have some aluminum and I am making a full length skid plate
@Bitwell scram bars
I have never done serious engine mods so I am thinking about purchasing a used engine and doing a 904 kit myself to learn something new.
Also would like some advice on number teeth for front and rear sprockets.
Very little highway mostly back roads 15-20% dirt roads. To old for real off road.
Appreciate any advice.
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I'm subscribing and getting onboard! I will be interested in watching you do the 904 kit as I am strongly considering doing the 904 or 988 to my silver Bonnie when I get back stateside. Are you going to go through TPUSA for your bore kit? What year Bonnie is this being done to? I've been reading that the 790cc cams are bad ass and can handle the 904 kit unlike the 865 cams. Are you going to go with the FCR 39s as well when you do the kit? Hot damn...I feel like a kid in a toy store with all these questions!

strokerlmt

Hey buddy....nice to see you busy. Loved the pics of the wife and kids. I know the TPUSA gents well....good people.....looking at some used engines trying to find a 790 and yes FCR39's.....I have those on the 988 and I really like them.
More soon....
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Pinwall always have engines up for sale but I haven't really hunted the market for motors before. Are their prices pretty good or is that considered high? I think a 790 motor is a smart choice as you also have a pair of cams that you can put to good use right out of the gate...hell that is $900 right there! The quest for horse power aint cheap!!!!

strokerlmt

Had some garage time....90% of head light wiring gaggle now in a custom box below the tree's. Real skid plate, crash bars, ....
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
First comments (constructive criticizm mate).

Great colour choice
Swing arm looks mega
Have you thought about building a more substantial bash plate round the engine bars?
Chrome covers look too glitzy for this style of bike
Black powdercoat on the wheels and hubs would cover the chrome and contrast great against the sand of the frame. Leave the spokes chrome.

Just my tuppence worth... ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

strokerlmt

Finished the dual sport scrambler two weeks ago. I had an electrics glitch somewhere but after changing out some relays etc all is good. Went for a two hour test run up the coast all good. Every year our family goes to my wife's favorite sisters house in the Bay Area. They are also our daughters god parents. We have have a wonderful fun break. The girls drive up and I follow later on the bike. It's a highway run which I don't like but it's great "think time" for me.
The dual sport ran very well......my neck and hands were better with this set up. Before....mbars, rear sets......now is bitwell scram bars, stock pegs and I did much better 200+++++ mile run. I now have a rack and pelican bags, first time hard bags. Like the bags so easy to pack.
Sold the alloy rims and back to spoked with dual sport tires. I could really tell the difference between the alloy dunlops and Shinko highway feel and I'm at least an inch plus higher now.
I also think I messed up the sprockets in the rebuild. 5th gear at 70 was laboring with slow throttle response. 4th at 70 at 4000rpm was a dream. Need to check the number of teeth front and back.
Sitting here watching football everyone has an iPad girls cooking. :cheers:
Lmt

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Apologies boys being slow on pictures. It has been crazy time. Work, girls, sold my truck, one car family. Anyway pictures later tonight. Back home in time to meet clients moving van. Left San Fran at 630am and froze my ass off but 450 miles later all is good. Bit well bars and stock foot pegs work real well. But shit I get older and more things wear out each day. Neck and hands r producing the count down to "hang em up time" in the next few years me thinks. Did 120 miles non stop and had to stop because my hands were stiff.
Pikey.....you are right about the chrome. I have a set of engine covers at powder coat getting done flat black.
Beemer pics coming.....
Bb.....it's mostly therapy. Work stress money stress, I need an outlet. This girl will now be sold. Oldest needs a car. Then on to another project.
More later tonight......
Lmt

strokerlmt

Not very good picture. Like the Bitwell bars very much. The headlight bundle of connectors is in the black box inbetween the forks behind the light. The headlight is a flatter BMW 8 inch can with a stock Triumph bulb/rim. Polished forks from Flaco. Don't like the lines the gas tank so will re paint soon.
Its my daughters birthday today. She is a wonderful young lady that I am so proud off.
LMT

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1
Crappy pic but great looking bike, esp the meaty ally swingarm. I see at set of FCRs lurking in there - did you go for the big bore kit?

When you repaint the tank will you put a badge or logo on it? It needs something IMO.

Belated Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Cheers,

Pikey.

strokerlmt

Hey Pikey....

FCR 39s, 813 cams, 988cc big bore, alu swingarm, ohlins, progressives in the front, beringer 6 pot in front, 5 +++ alu gas tank, its all fun. Thx for the bday greeting, she is a wonderful young lady.
LMT
dyno 91 horses 67 torque

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Lach,

Perhaps a crappy pic, but sweet build. Love it...right up my alley as far as riding position goes. I'd forgotten entirely how nice those bonneville performance oil coolers look on these machines.

Who fabbed the swingarm? Looking for lighter options for my thruxton...

Thanks,

--Rich

strokerlmt

Lach,

Perhaps a crappy pic, but sweet build. Love it...right up my alley as far as riding position goes. I'd forgotten entirely how nice those bonneville performance oil coolers look on these machines.

Who fabbed the swingarm? Looking for lighter options for my thruxton...

Thanks,

--Rich

Rich....going from the MBARS rear sets to scram bars and stock sets +football grips and bar end weights was an amazing difference. I actually was doing 100+ miles with ease. I have arth in hands, wrecked neck, shoulder and knee from college hockey and I was only 1/2 stiff when I got off for a break after 100+. really happy with the set up. The swingarm is JMS from england. Chris C sold it to me years ago and has wanted it back ever since:) 7 lb weight sweet difference. The oil coolers work better than stock. I need to rotate them inward on the frame that will hide them better.
LMT