Leak on new Thruxton SE Please help identify source.

scrib74

Scooter
So I was cleaning my new Thruxton today and noticed this. Was hoping someone will way more knowledge than I could identify what's going on here and whether this is something I should have the dealer address.

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

• photoleak.jpg
    photoleak.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photoleak2.jpg
    photoleak2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0

dschief

750cc
Could be chain lube. I get stains like that on my '05 with silver engine too. Worst case senario is counter shaft seal. If it's not oil or chain lube, I have no clue.

Thinking about it some more, have you washed the bike lately? Could be detergent or whatever cleaner you use getting trapped in the sprocket cover and leaching down!?!

scrib74

Scooter
no, it was the first time i've washed it. i used some spray lube sparingly a couple weeks ago. it looks pretty gunky(sp).

dschief

750cc
If it's gunky, and not oily, it's probably chain lube. It builds up in there pretty easily, and if you washed it, the detergent will desolve it enough to run down the covers.

mark66

TT Racer
Sure looks like chain lube to me....had that on my 03 America after I got a little to much spray lube on it. Just pull the sprocket cover for a better look.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Looks like chain lube. Most likely the underside of the chain guard, and the inside of the sprocket cover will be gummed up too.

phil

Street Tracker
yep, it look like chain lube. I use chain wax too, and I had a build up behind that cover , after I cleaned it, it seem to go away. It almost looks like water stain, or some type of cleaner.

Leak.

I have a 2010 Thruxton SE and mine is the same. I lubed the chain a couple of days ago and have exactly the same look as yours, a little bit of varsol and it cleans right up.

It looks like your seal is blown and your entire motor is shot. Definitely you need a new motor. If you want, I could buy your SE from you and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I mean, I'd only give you maybe two thousand dollars or so. But... you know.. the motors fried, what can you expect?! So what do you think?

We got a deal?!?

:)

ratlab

Scooter
its chain lube-i had the same thing after riding home after buying bike-the dealer over does it on the chainwax

whyme

TT Racer
There is another thread here somewhere that showed a bike with the same stains (sorry a forgot where) so it looks common