Larger Front Tire?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
So...I'm looking for new tires again...10,000+ Hard/Work/Travel miles since last April! Tires were great...Bridgestone SP11Rs...Now I'm looking at some Tourances or Anakees...I want to try the 140 Rear...did a 150 for the first 6,000miles...currently have a 130 with the Spitfire...Now I'm going to try the 140...BUT...Can I go with w/ 110/80 up Front? Hmmmmm...Anybody? My front mudgaurd is chopped pretty short at both ends, no fender stay bolts to worry about? What about the Fender bolts/Fork tubes? Hmmmmm...Thanks everyone!

:rocks:

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I need mileage...and Wet traction!!

I ride my Bonnie all week...not just in the hills on the weekend...I need mileage...I've found plenty of reviews, but I'm looking for BonnieRiders POV? Thanks!!

Any word on...

Mich Anakees?
Metz Tourances?
Pir Sport Demons?
Mich Pilot Activ?

Cheers!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I am indeed running Anakees, and love them. I mis-spoke in my last post, however. I'm running 110/80 in front (up from the stock 100/90), and 140/80 in the rear. The fronts are a full centimeter wider at the widest point than stock, that means 5mm less clearance on each side on the fender stays. I was nervous about that so replaced the fender stay bolts with some cap head ones that were a few mm lower profile than the stock ones. Zero problems!!!

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
I ride my Bonnie all week...not just in the hills on the weekend...I need mileage...I've found plenty of reviews, but I'm looking for BonnieRiders POV? Thanks!!

Any word on...

Mich Anakees?
Metz Tourances?
Pir Sport Demons?
Mich Pilot Activ?

Cheers!

If mileage (and a good all around tire too) is what you're after, try the Metzeler ME 880's... They are a "cruiser/touring" compound and have more tread depth... I get ~9K miles from a rear and ~25k miles from a front... As opposed to 5k rear/10k front from a "sport touring" compound tires...

I use the 140/80 rear and the stock sized 100/90 front... They are a bit larger in diameter than the stock 130/80's so I run the stock (for me) 17 T front sprocket and get the effect of having an 18T on it...

I have not noticed any real problems, grip wise, running this compound tire... I've done plenty of "sporty" riding up in the mountains and have been VERY pleased with them. They are also excellent in the wet...

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I am indeed running Anakees, and love them. I mis-spoke in my last post, however. I'm running 110/80 in front (up from the stock 100/90), and 140/80 in the rear. The fronts are a full centimeter wider at the widest point than stock, that means 5mm less clearance on each side on the fender stays. I was nervous about that so replaced the fender stay bolts with some cap head ones that were a few mm lower profile than the stock ones. Zero problems!!!

Hey BlueJ...Would you recommend these tires for someone that commutes daily (75 miles to and from work)? Hot summer days...Downpours on the Freeway? I'm also looking to roadtrip to Bonneville this coming Sept. (1500+/- miles) and my decision on what to buy, and when are based on that trip too. Thanks BlueJ!

SCBonneville...I checked out the Metz...looks like a very good tire...all joking aside, I think the "load carrying" abilities are a plus! Not only my ass (6'3" 300lbs.), but my trip to Bonneville gear, as well as my stuff throughout the work week? Thank you for the idea...and they do mention, "Tread pattern has excellent water displacement ability and stability over rain grooves and under hard braking."- That's a Big Deal in Portland's Rainy Season...I'm almost 100% on buying a set of these...Thanks!

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Hey BlueJ...Would you recommend these tires for someone that commutes daily (75 miles to and from work)? Hot summer days...Downpours on the Freeway? I'm also looking to roadtrip to Bonneville this coming Sept. (1500+/- miles) and my decision on what to buy, and when are based on that trip too. Thanks BlueJ!

SCBonneville...I checked out the Metz...looks like a very good tire...all joking aside, I think the "load carrying" abilities are a plus! Not only my ass (6'3" 300lbs.), but my trip to Bonneville gear, as well as my stuff throughout the work week? Thank you for the idea...and they do mention, "Tread pattern has excellent water displacement ability and stability over rain grooves and under hard braking."- That's a Big Deal in Portland's Rainy Season...I'm almost 100% on buying a set of these...Thanks!

If you do go with tourances, I'd really like to hear your opinion once you get 'em. I'm looking at the same for when I replace the tires.

I need a new rear tire, and probably front too. I'm tired of "sporty" compounds...my last 2 rear tires haven't lasted very long, so I'm probably going with the ME880s.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Hey BlueJ...Would you recommend these tires for someone that commutes daily (75 miles to and from work)? Hot summer days...Downpours on the Freeway?

Well, I commute on mine, but only 25 miles each way. And I've ridden them in torrential rain in Bennington, and downpours on the freeway, with zero sensation of lost traction (I can't say that for the stock Metz's) (and I avoid that situation aggressively, anyway). And I'm getting much better wear out of them than the Metz's.

YMMV, but I have no complaints.

TheBBR

Scooter
Scott had a 110 up front and he cut a new set of rain grooves into it, but I think that was from the fender stays. The fat front looks good.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
So...I'm looking for new tires again...10,000+ Hard/Work/Travel miles since last April! Tires were great...Bridgestone SP11Rs...Now I'm looking at some Tourances or Anakees...I want to try the 140 Rear...did a 150 for the first 6,000miles...currently have a 130 with the Spitfire...Now I'm going to try the 140...BUT...Can I go with w/ 110/80 up Front? Hmmmmm...Anybody? My front mudgaurd is chopped pretty short at both ends, no fender stay bolts to worry about? What about the Fender bolts/Fork tubes? Hmmmmm...Thanks everyone!

:rocks:

Here is a picture of my new front tire. It is an Avon AM26 Roadrider in 110/90 18

PICT2915.jpg

It is tight. Here is a better shot.
P2240021.jpg

P2240023.jpg

There is room, just not much.
The rear tire is the same as the front only in 140/80 17.
It fits very nicely and looks great.
PICT2914.jpg

PICT2916.jpg

This is on a Thruxton.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I mis-typed - it's the fork mount bracket bolts (as shown by Badda Bing) that I replaced, not the fender stay bolts. And, it probably would have fit but looked real snug and since the replacement bolts cost practically nothing, it was no big deal to replace them.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Hey Revolt:

Didn't you upgrade your front brake last year? If so, how about a more detailed review?

Thanks.