Kriega R35 Motorcycle Rucksack

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I just bought the Kriega R35 rucksack. I wanted something I could use for weekend trips as well as commuting to work. I decided to splash out and buy the Kriega as there didn't seem to be a huge choice in motorcycle-specific backpacks.

Anyway, my review:

PROS:

+ Nice harness system that locks across your chest, spreading the weight from your shoulders onto your chest and sides. This adds a sense of security - the thing definitely isn't coming off no matter what happens!
+ No loose webbing or ties flapping about. One of the main selling points of this rucksack is the patented 'Quadloc' system which allows you to easily and quickly adjust the four main straps with the pull of a cord on each.
+ Generally very well made with good materials
+ handy external pockets, especially on the front of the harness, where there are two concealed pockets that will easily hold a wallet, keys, phone etc - very handy as it means you don't have to take the pack off to get your hands on smaller items e.g. when paying for fuel etc.
+ Reflective material front and back. This is quite high quality, dense material that looks durable and is fairly reflective.
+ Will hold a full-face helmet in the main compartment
+ Can be expanded with optional modules, tailpacks etc
+ 10 yr guarantee. This is unclear, as I received no booklet or guarantee card with my pack, which was purchased from a major UK motorcycle store. Like most guarantees these days though, I imagine you're only covered if the product spontaneously combusts through faulty workmanship where the fault can be traced back to the actual ethnic minority who built the thing. But as I have no details, I can only contribute this cynical aside for the time being.
+ Main plus point for me was design and quality

CONS:

- It's supposed to be a 35 litre rucksack but it does feel smaller. The two big outer pockets, when full, do reduce the main compartment size.
- Cost: this - like all Kriega products - is, in my view, it's biggest failing. It is WAY over-priced, all things considered. At £95 for the 35 litre bag I would have expected more features and 25% better quality in some of the materials used. £60 would be a real world maximum for a bag like this. It's designed in the UK but assembled in China (like everything else), so even if they were paying the Chinese a decent wage these days, it's still a lot of money for what you get, especially when you consider what you might buy in the local mountaineering store for the same price.
- The side pocket material is quite thin rip-stop. I would have liked to have seen a more robust material used here.
- water resistant (not waterproof). Optional dry bag liners are available for purchase separately. However, considering the price, it would have been better if they came supplied and with a waterproof cover.
- The base material is heavier, but I could see it wearing fairly quickly as this is the point of contact with the abrasive surfaces if you have to put your pack down anywhere.
- I would like to have seen more inner compartments or pockets. The main compartment has a large pocket (perhaps a laptop would go in there) and a smaller mesh one.

Summary: In spite of the cons, I'm fairly pleased with this rucksack. Buying it does feel like I've treated myself. It'll hold enough for a weekend stay somewhere (or a week's worth of underwear if you prefer) and it will probably last a few years, so I give it a 6.5 out of 10. Main plus is design and quality. Main failing - the price! But it is designed in rip-off Britain, so what can we expect...

Last edited:

jamesbgood

Scooter
Wow! Thanks for the Great review Frank!
I use a CamelBak Havoc, but I just might look into buying the Kriega now.
havoc.gif

tomville

Scooter
I too have the Kriega 35. I've had it about a year now and can say FB's review is fair. I think it's a great pack for riding, better than anything else I've found.

KingBear

Hooligan
I also have a Camelbak but I'm looking for something different, not too big. I never thought about one to carry the helmet but it's obviously a nice feature.

Thanks for the review.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I too have the Kriega 35. I've had it about a year now and can say FB's review is fair. I think it's a great pack for riding, better than anything else I've found.

Tom, how do you find it stands up to rain? I just ordered some dry liners. For the price I think it might have been good if they were included. I believe liners were included when the company was originally called 'Krug'.

tomville

Scooter
Tom, how do you find it stands up to rain? I just ordered some dry liners. For the price I think it might have been good if they were included. I believe liners were included when the company was originally called 'Krug'.

I have only tested it in light rain and it was fine. The material is waterproof, however the seams are not sealed. I would expect there to be some leaking in the event of a hard, sustained rain while riding.

I too was confused if the liner was inclulded when I ordered the bag. I had a Rider's Warehouse gift cert. and in the catalog it said the liner was included with the larger R35, but on their website it did not say this. I agree that it should have been included for the price.

jamesbgood

Scooter
That looks like an excellent bag james. Is it waterproof?
it has one small compartment that is "weather resistant" other then that, no.
I bought it two years ago to use when I went mountain biking and for that purpose it has worked well for me, but I need something with more capacity for the longer trips I (hopefully) will be taking on my Thrux next season. I've been eyeing the Military/law CamelBaks but your Kriega has gave me something else to consider too. :)
Click Link for full Camelbak product line

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Hi James. I've now road tested the R35 and the US20 (attaches to the R35) two of three times in light to heavy rain and sleet. Kreiga claim that the US20 is completely waterproof - it isn't. My map got wet in the 'waterproof' pocket. The R35 isn't marketed as waterproof and...well, it isn't. Both leak moisture and so you need to use dry liner bags to keep everything bone dry.

Overall, I think the Kreiga's strength is design. It's great for motorcycling. Overall weaknesses - their products cost far too much and they need to use more durable materials, even if the MRP was reduced.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
update

Just an update on the Kriega 18 months later. After many a ride in wet weather and consistently soggy contents, I sold my R35 and US10 on Ebay. I was glad to be rid of them. My conclusion - overpriced designer wear. Looks nice but rubbish for wet weather.

I replaced these with a completely waterproof 25 litre rucksack by Overboard, the yachting bag people. It has a rolltop, is made of durable, thick vinyl-coated fabric with a very comfortable harness (which also has it's own sternum strap and achieves the same effect as Kriega's patented quadlock gizmo). For a 25 litre bag it is HUGE inside and will even hold 2 helmets or a helmet and jacket +. It also cost about a 3rd of the R35 and US10 combined. Big smile. :)

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Frank , I had to look up the word Rucksack. as I had no idea what it was

Is this it?
over-board-back-pack.jpg

Glad you got a good one. I need a set of cheap saddllebags...or a tailbag. Any recommendations.

DIRK

750cc
try a soft ball bag at your local sporting goods store. if you want waterproof try outdoor research stuff bags of various sizes and colurs. makes it easy to organize and find or odd bits rather than taking everything out. again an rei or camping type store. i've had mine for 15 years they need replacement but still work.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Frank , I had to look up the word Rucksack. as I had no idea what it was

Is this it?
over-board-back-pack.jpg

Glad you got a good one. I need a set of cheap saddllebags...or a tailbag. Any recommendations.

Hey Sal, didn't know you were on here too! Yep, that's the one! A 'rucksack' is a sack you keep your rucks in - thought everybody knew that! :) What do you call a rucksack then?

As for the saddlebags - can't help you there. I've used soft panniers before but never liked them. I was going to go for some Ortlieb roll bags for touring (Hein Gericke make them too and they cost half as much). I'm sure you'll have a vast range to choose from in the US though. Think OOrtlieb also make some rolltop panniers come to think of it - totally waterproof.

Last edited: