Just Another Victim of the Economy

simpson

TT Racer
My job was eliminated today.

I guess I will have a lot of extra time for riding.

Depending on my severence package I am considering a road trip....

NC to CA (southern route)
then
Pacific Coast Highway
then
CA to NC (northern route)

I have friends in FL/LA/TX/NV/CA that I could crash with...

Any suggestions/recommendations/words of warning?

-simpson

that sucks man but sounds like you will make the most of it. I was liberated back in November. There has been some sucky stuff but for the most part it's been great, like summer vacation back in school!

Which way are you comin through Texas?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
As usual, my advice is avoid the superslab as much as possible. Point your bike East and go. Stop and smell the roses. Poke yer nose in Southern Colorado if you have the time.:banana:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Shitty man, well hell maybe here in the next few weeks we can actually meet up and make a ride! Hopefully you get to go on that trip, it'd be a blast.

yup...

I can identify with your circumstances. I recommend ear plugs, tinted visor, and chain lube. Heated jacket liner if you can afford it, as well as hand guards.

IMG_0121.jpg

T-boy

Rocker
That's a bummer, man. Take some time off and enjoy yourself, then good luck in your job search.

Caveman

Scooter
Take the americian classic "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck with you. Talk about parallels with then and now. Recommend you read it since you have the time when camping as you cross your continent. Enjoy the freedom.

simpson

TT Racer
OK...I am getting the details of my severance today.

Once armed with that, I will rough out a map of my trip and post it here

I am getting excited. (and getting a copy of "Grapes of Wrath")

-simpson

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I would not recommend Steinbeck. That will depress you and be just weird considering your circumstances. The trip does sound like a great idea. My advice - do not sell your bike for any reason and make sure its paid off.

simpson

TT Racer
I would not recommend Steinbeck. That will depress you and be just weird considering your circumstances. The trip does sound like a great idea. My advice - do not sell your bike for any reason and make sure its paid off.

might be good to wallow in depressive stuff just to cleanse the wound. that is what this ride is (at least partly) about.

bike is paid off. not for sale. this was done on advice from an old friend who still misses for first bike.

-simpson

R

rndtaylor

you have a place to stay in Carthage, Tn.

and great roads, too.

Caveman

Scooter

I think you miss the point. The struggle between capitalists and the working class, West versus East, Town versus Country.........................It is not depressing but the a portrayal of life as it is. Then and now. Life is a struggle whoever or whatever situation you are in. That is why it is an american classic. Read it and learn the lessons from american history and apply it to your own situation. Suck it in and use it. Knowledge is power!!!!

Last edited: