Joe Lucas "Prince of Darkness"!

I recall hearing a story about the early days of Triumphs developmental where the first Daytona Engine was modelled on the Kawasakis of the time, there were definite design similarities however I was lucky enough to take a factory tour in 93 or 94 where the guide was constantly pestered by one of our party to reveal the truth on the matter.
The guide ended up pulling open a curtain and showed us a Honda Fireblade in bits saying "that's the best bike in the world and that's what we benchmark against, now I haven't shown you that!".
I later talked to an ex Triumph employee who told me they held off making a Bonnie until they knew they could get it spot on and that the deign brief also included no similarities existed to any Lucas components of the past as the reputation in the US was so bad they dare not risk even a passing resemblance.
Probably a little un fair and I think detrimental to the look of the classic T100 as its resulted in the Chinese 125 look a like indicators and lighting, which I will be replacing back to Lucas style.

t140uk

moped
as an owner of 14 + triumphs i never had those negative feelings about the original classic triumphs Dick C.I AM GLAD BLOOR WOKE UP TO THE FACT THAT OLD TRIUMPH OWNERS WOULD BE SOME OF HIS BEST NEW [RETRO TRIUMPH OWNERS]

Ill post pics of my conversion when done In going to include some way of cutting the lighting before the engine starts it makes no sense to have a battery face the lights and the starter when the ECU monitors battery volts and will not allow starting if volts are too low.

Its normally an easy thing to do when you find the feed from the charging system, takes 1 relay to do the job.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I kept the ugly plastic lights and I like them for one reason. I live on the corrosion coast of Texas and plastic doesn't corrode!

I kept the ugly plastic lights and I like them for one reason. I live on the corrosion coast of Texas and plastic doesn't corrode!

They're also brighter, especially the tail light, than the "vintage" replacements. Given that the tail light is the only thing a driver behind you can see at night, I'd rather keep the stock lights for that reason.

drlapo

Hooligan
I tried an LED "bulb" in my Lucas tailight and it was terrible
not bright enough
how do you measure output on an LED?

rodhotter

Scooter
never any lucas issues with my 70 bonnie, one coil died but happened to many early bikes, prolly would have bought an earlier model except for the bad vibes!!!

The LED bulbs are pretty useless unless they are the type with leds to the side like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-380-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec6a2ad8d
but even then they are rubbish. Ive tried lots of the LEDs and buy red for the rear otherwise the white just blasts through. The output is measured in Lumens but I dont know thats the whole picture of how good they are in a rear light, your still on a wing and a prayer when you buy these LEDs. Good point about the stock lights being brighter though im going to try the vintage against the stocker but i think your right, they are going to be worse, ill try and post a pic.

never any lucas issues with my 70 bonnie, one coil died but happened to many early bikes, prolly would have bought an earlier model except for the bad vibes!!!

My experience of Lucas stuff was it was no worse that others, most of the problems were owner neglect or the vibration from the big twins, even italian electrics are Ok our british winter with salt would kill that unless WD40 was used in abundance.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The eeriest thing I ever saw was two identical T120s (maybe T140s) side by side. One was totally off with the key out and the other one was running. But BOTH headlights were flickering on. Amazing to see.

Made me consider that were actually Gremlins in Coventry at one time.