Is it just me....or....

KingBear

Hooligan
It's fucked up. BTW, I have almost 190,000 miles on my 2001 Camry and I think it might go another 150,000 or more. Hands down the best car I've ever owned.

Norvel

Two Stroke
The media and inept drivers are making this thing bullshit....Call 911 at the drop of a hat..."help me I've fallen"....help me what do I do my car won't stop.......
Step on the fucking brake....put the car in neutral....let the engine race....pull over and turn the fucking key offfffffffff.
This whole Toyota thing will show how stupid some...some....drivers are and it will bring out teh good old amuricannn scam artists.
LMT

Exactly...

the Empire of Japan has taken enough of our hard earned dollars anyway, let's give the domestic car makers a chance, and break this "buy foreign" cycle once and for all. This current brake issue on the Toyotas is a gift we desperatly needed to level the playing field.

strokerlmt

I agree....it is a back door gift to the USA auto builders......but that does not condone the scam artists that are driving into a public building with there 2004 Ravvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

break this "buy foreign" cycle once and for all. This current brake issue on the Toyotas is a gift we desperatly needed to level the playing field.

Yeah!!! Lets ban Jap cars & bikes, Korean cars & bikes, all of those money sucking imports. Now all Triumph bikes off to the metal crushing yard and we can order our new Harleys.
:eeek:

wolfie

Two Stroke
My corolla was made in the US.

Here's a little trick I learned during my short stint in the car industry:

Look at the first digit of your vin.

1 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
J = Japan

I sold Chrysler products for a couple of years, and while some were built in the US, most were built in Mexico or Canada.

Now for an amusing little story that relates to all of this.

A couple times a year, Chrysler required our dealership to send our salespeople to a propaganda event where they tried to convince us that their cars were the best cars on earth. They would have us drive the competitor's cars and ours, and then tell us why ours was so much better.

As a response to the sales of the PT Cruiser falling off, they decided to drop the price by a couple grand, and try to compete in the compact market. They spent an entire day telling us how the PT was so much better than the Ford Focus, and the Toyota Corolla, never mentioning the PT's abysmal fuel economy of course.

At the end of the day they had the salesmen deliver a pitch about why the PT was the bee's knees of compacts. One enthusiastic guy gave his pitch, at the end of which he shouted "Buy American! Whoo!"

I knew for a fact that the PT was built in Canada, but out of curiosity, I walked over to the Corolla. A quick inspection of the Maroni label identified the country of origin as United States.

That was the day that Chrysler convinced me that my next car would be a Toyota Corolla.

strokerlmt

Otherwise.....no one is saying ban any imports. The statement was that this right or wrong is a window of opportunity for the US auto makers who other than ford I am not a huge fan of. Remember when was it Ford or GM that had the tire problem.....you don't think the imports jumped all over that. The Asians are very smart business people and any recall in the USA auto makers was an advantage for them.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
otherwise, the next time I come down south we go fishing! You always have the best bait and get the biggest bites.
Shit stirrer!

My corolla was made in the US.

Here's a little trick I learned during my short stint in the car industry:

Look at the first digit of your vin.

1 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
J = Japan

I sold Chrysler products for a couple of years, and while some were built in the US, most were built in Mexico or Canada.

Now for an amusing little story that relates to all of this.

A couple times a year, Chrysler required our dealership to send our salespeople to a propaganda event where they tried to convince us that their cars were the best cars on earth. They would have us drive the competitor's cars and ours, and then tell us why ours was so much better.

As a response to the sales of the PT Cruiser falling off, they decided to drop the price by a couple grand, and try to compete in the compact market. They spent an entire day telling us how the PT was so much better than the Ford Focus, and the Toyota Corolla, never mentioning the PT's abysmal fuel economy of course.

At the end of the day they had the salesmen deliver a pitch about why the PT was the bee's knees of compacts. One enthusiastic guy gave his pitch, at the end of which he shouted "Buy American! Whoo!"

I knew for a fact that the PT was built in Canada, but out of curiosity, I walked over to the Corolla. A quick inspection of the Maroni label identified the country of origin as United States.

That was the day that Chrysler convinced me that my next car would be a Toyota Corolla.
My Dodge Charger is built in Canada, and actually looks like a car should, and is a hoot to drive. All these Japanese cars look so boring.

wolfie

Two Stroke
My Dodge Charger is built in Canada, and actually looks like a car should, and is a hoot to drive. All these Japanese cars look so boring.

I don't have anything against Dodge. I'm not a "Brand Loyal" person. I like the Chargers just fine. I liked the Magnum even better. It's a shame it got discontinued. I'd be all over the Challenger if it was about 25% smaller. It's too big to be a pony car.

The Corolla, while boring was picked almost entirely based on financial reasons. It's affordable, gets good gas mileage, dependable, and up until all this recall crap, it had excellent resale value.

07black&red

Two Stroke
"All these Japanese cars look so boring."

...and sitting around in vinyl chairs reading 4 month old magazines & drinking stale coffee whilst contemplating how much it's going to cost to fix your American pile-o-shit is so much more stimulating. Fuck that. I work hard for the little I get paid and can't afford to drive a car based solely on misplaced jingoistic bullshit. My Bonnie was made in Taiwan! My 1997 pickup? Japan! 172k miles and she still gets 28 mpg!!! Who fucking cares where the shit is made. We are one people on one little planet. Let the free market reign!! We vote with our dollars and I will buy the best I can get for the best price.....

whyme

TT Racer
We have a Volvo..crap from another country...60K needed a 5K dollar trans replaced. I have a Honda...just change the oil.
Coworker- ex-military shits red, white and blue. He had a Magnum with the Hemi.....bad luck with it, but he loved the power, fun etc. He now has 2 Hondas. It kills him but he said he works hard for his money so he had to buy with his head.

I think Ford is doing well. I'll look at Fords for my next purchase. They've done me right in the stock department lately too...bought for $1.95 last year and it's 12 now. Someone is believing in Ford now I guess.

phil

Street Tracker
Yeah!!! Lets ban Jap cars & bikes, Korean cars & bikes, all of those money sucking imports. Now all Triumph bikes off to the metal crushing yard and we can order our new Harleys.
:eeek:

I agree! its almost like the us goverment or canadian goverment , is trying to get ride of any imports! (LOL) Just sounds like people looking for money.

Last edited:

Norvel

Two Stroke
Part of the problem is in the design and the perception that every thing has to be electronic and run by computers etc.Depending on which model it is there is no key ! You press a button to start and stop. Another "fault", which in my opinion is entirely an operator problem, is that in order to brake some people used the left foot whilst keeping the right foot on the gas, this "confuses" the computer, to the point it does not know if you want to stop or keep going etc hence the lurch forward. There is a problem I do not think they know exactly what it is yet.

Here's a recent on this guy and in the article it states that if the Brake and Gas are pressed at the same time on the Priuses it cuts power to the wheels via the Computer System.

Seems to me sum'a'thuns'a fishie with this guy and this whole deal!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDdG95b3RhbXlzdGlm

I don't know what/if the problem is with the Toyota's computer...

But what I want to know is what kind of car you all have that would actually come to a stop from 80mph with the throttle wide open and the E-brake on?
:chin:

Most "emergency" brakes these days are little more than parking brakes.
Who hasn't backed out of the driveway and made it halfway down the street before noticing the sluggish acceleration, realizing you left the brake on?
:loser:

-K

"A lot of times, I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake."
-Mitch Hedberg

strokerlmt

This black box computer shit makes my head hurt. I have fond memeories of my mothers 56 Chevy in line 6 .....you could practically stand between the engine the the inside front fender....that car was boom proof and I proved it as a stupis ass teen whole drove the shit out of it.....
LMT

AceT100

Rocker
This black box computer shit makes my head hurt. I have fond memeories of my mothers 56 Chevy in line 6 .....you could practically stand between the engine the the inside front fender....that car was boom proof and I proved it as a stupis ass teen whole drove the shit out of it.....
LMT

In line 6 huh? How about an 8.....

2863554063_d6500e7030.jpg

Under the hood of my Pontiac