Ironic Ending

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I am not one to print this sort of thing, but the last line of the article was just too much to pass up without comment. I am in favor of helmet laws myself, yet I admit I have gone for one or two short low speed rides with no helmet. Personally , unless its just a 30 mph ride a couple of blocks, am usually wearing full safety gear from boots to FF helmet. I guess my comment is just the irony of the last sentence. Ride safe guys.

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

___

Information from: The Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I still say let people decide and not have our government baby-sit us. Sure protective gear is safer and I too wear it all the time as I have no choice being in the military but that isn't the point...governments control over every aspect of what we do is. I read that NY is trying to pass legislation to make it illegal for a parent to smoke in their car with a child 14 years old or younger in it. Same theme...have government legislate our daily lives to the point of ridiculousness. Have you taken your kid to McD's more than once a month? Face a fine...you are putting your kid in risk of obesity. Take your kid there on a bike without wearing your helmet? Straight to prison for you!

hankmarx

750cc
I saw that.. It's heartbreaking for his family. The article I read said something about it not being his bike. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Damn shame.

RIP

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I think the "slippery slope"is the weakest of all possible arguments for this reasons: it essentially starts off saying that something isn't a bad idea, then argues against something else entirely.

Forget for a minute some fear of being fined for going to McDonalds. I'll give you a real example - my best friend Jorge now rides with a novelty skid lid that is not DOT approved. He has two small children. His younger brother died a few years ago in a car accident. His mom lives with him and he supports everyone. We take these long trips and Jorge is running ahead of me 80 mph on the freeway in a wife beater and a plastic yarmulke. Is that right? I'm asking seriously because I am going to have a talk with him and he is my best bud. I love him, love his wife, his kids are like my own family and I know his mother all these years too. I could not face them to tell them that Jorge is gone...Is it my business that his helmet is fake? I don't know...you tell me....but some things you just can't do - its too selfish.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I agree and it is because of my boys why I gear up every single time I go on the bike...even if it is to the store 5 miles down the road. I just want it to be my choice and not government shoveling it down our throats; I still think it is the individual's choice even with the safety aspects of the argument involved with it. It's damn stupid to ride on the road without gear but that isn't government's call to make

koifarm

Hooligan
It all boils down to SA (situational awareness) you simply cannot expect a motorcycle to stop soon enough if you're in the "zone" ie, too close to the vehicle in front of you. I'm a survivor of one of those classic "sudden left turns" by the car in front of me, it happened in 1968 and since that time I've never gotten in that position again, it cost me a couple weeks off from work, a busted right kneecap and some minor damage to the bike and taught me a valuable lesson the hard way.
I will say this Sal, there is no doubt that last line of the article was just too good of an opportunity for a journalist to grab the reading audience by the nuts and thus "show them" that they should wear helmets, truthfully there is no way anyone could make such a pointed statement without knowing all the facts involved. It happens all the time in the media and just makes me shake my head in disbelief at those writers who attempt to sensationalize the news. Similar thing just happened here in Saint Augustine, a pilot experienced an engine out, at 1600 feet, flying along the beach, got lucky and had an open expanse of beach, landed, safely, with no damage to the aircraft, beachgoers and his passenger but the reporter led the story with the headline "Pilot crash lands aircraft on the beach" Yeah, right....
The point being several things, do you practice "panic stops" at all ? Can you hit both front and rear brakes HARD without dumping the bike? Do you know your safe following distance?
I see many articles similar to the one Sal posted and I have to wonder just how some of them have the ability and/or skill to handle a bike in extreme situations specifically panic stops. A Harley is a big chunk of metal to stop on a dime, and not an easy thing to do.
It is sad to see someone being injured or killed in situations like that and granted, there are some situations no one could survive but I think in most cases a rider who knows how to handle his bike in those kinds of scenarios will survive.

jphickory

Banned
I agree and it is because of my boys why I gear up every single time I go on the bike...even if it is to the store 5 miles down the road. I just want it to be my choice and not government shoveling it down our throats; I still think it is the individual's choice even with the safety aspects of the argument involved with it. It's damn stupid to ride on the road without gear but that isn't government's call to make

Tang, thanks for supporting freedom on Independence Day! Unfortunately, there are now many that think personal safety must be legislated - to hell with freedom. Freedom is a precious jewel and once it is gone it is GONE. The nanny state mentality is "if this law saves one life" it is worth it - screw that. That mentality recently was used to require life jackets on all adults swimming on public lands in a city in the NW USA.

Sal, talk to your friend and tell him your concerns. But ultimately it is his choice. You may have a friend that feels equally concerned about your safety because you ride a bike. People have different thresholds of acceptable risk - that is just life. Let the government in your life and they will decide what is acceptable risk for you. I say no thanks big brother - I can take care of myself.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Is it my business that his helmet is fake? I don't know...you tell me....

Sounds to me like it's time for a reality check. I guess you could offer to take him down to the bike shop and buy him a real helmet yourself... just for being a good buddy. You should definitely let him know the reasons why he should be wearing one. Maybe get the whole clan together for a bar-b-que, or something like that, and have a little intervention of sorts. If he refuses to wear one, there ain't much else anyone can do really. BUT... true friends are sure hard to come by, and impossible to replace. Good luck.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Sounds to me like it's time for a reality check. I guess you could offer to take him down to the bike shop and buy him a real helmet yourself... just for being a good buddy. You should definitely let him know the reasons why he should be wearing one. Maybe get the whole clan together for a bar-b-que, or something like that, and have a little intervention of sorts. If he refuses to wear one, there ain't much else anyone can do really. BUT... true friends are sure hard to come by, and impossible to replace. Good luck.

He has a beautiful FF helmet - this is something new.... I am going to have to talk to him out on a ride .... not in front of anyone.. but he will be annoyed with me for sure.

slowgator

750cc
He has a beautiful FF helmet - this is something new.... I am going to have to talk to him out on a ride .... not in front of anyone.. but he will be annoyed with me for sure.

So he has a FF helmet but doesn't wear it? Sounds like it's time for a little "tough love" to at least show your concern for your friend and his family. But that's about all you can do, IMHO.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker

Good on you, Sal. But now I'm kinda thinking that if he doesn't already feel the need to continue wearing his FF helmet for the wife and kids' sake, it's not likely it will do much good coming you from either. If that's the case, it's unfortunate for everyone concerned. Still worth a good effort, and I'd still like to wish you the best of luck in that effort. "Good luck, man." We should all have more friends like you.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
sorry to get off track of the ironic ending - I didn't even realize i was thinking about this other thing.

Its a shame but to die of head injuries while protesting helmet laws is ironic.

dschief

750cc
I just want it to be my choice and not government shoveling it down our throats; I still think it is the individual's choice even with the safety aspects of the argument involved with it. It's damn stupid to ride on the road without gear but that isn't government's call to make

Right or wrong, the government will always try to protect stupid people from themselves. Is it right that they make seatbelt and child seat laws? Personally, I believe in all the above safety items. If the government says I have to use them, it doesn't bother me because they are useful, and there are a hell of a lot more important things we and they should be worried about.

jphickory

Banned
I think you miss the point Chief. So somebody that doesn't wear a helmet or a seat belt is stupid in your opinion - fine. Now what if the govt decides riding a motorcycle is too dangerous? They could make the same argument that you are stupid and they must protect you by outlawing them. You really want some politician making those decisions for you? Saying the govt will always do this is a cop out - if the electorate would vote for candidates that support the rights of the individual and limited govt - it can be stopped.

Last edited:

dschief

750cc
I do not agree that the govt should be involved, in fact I have supported ABATE for over 20 years! I am just saying that no matter what we do, or say, they will try to protect us from ourselves, and there are much more important things going on in this world than fighting over a helmet law, ON EITHER SIDE.
A person protesting a helmet law by riding without one, and then dying, is both tragic and stupid. It gives the opposition more ammo for one of their "Look, we told you so" crusades, don't you think?!?

LA_Geezer

Scooter
I think you miss the point Chief. So somebody that doesn't wear a helmet or a seat belt is stupid in your opinion - fine. Now what if the govt decides riding a motorcycle is too dangerous? They could make the same argument that you are stupid and they must protect you by outlawing them. You really want some politician making those decisions for you? Saying the govt will always do this is a cop out - if the electorate would vote for candidates that support the rights of the individual and limited govt - it can be stopped.

+1 on all of that, but you know full well that the people will always vote for the candidates that'll give them something, and there are others who think YOU should pay for it. At least the price of gas is coming down.

I've seen similar threads on several MC forums today. It's amazing how many have such opposing views on this.