iPhone GPS Apps?

drmuonfunk

Scooter
This one is for the iPhone users out there. At the moment I just use Google maps when I find myself lost but it would be great to have the ability to create a route have bluetooth voice commands for directions. (I can't imagine staring at a screen and trying to take on twisties at the same time). So most importantly is the ability to route, find new routes and text to voice.

I keep hearing Navigan is the one to go with but after the latest software updates I haven't read to many new posts. Any one have an opinion on GPS apps?

Neducati

Two Stroke
Currently, for the iPhone there is the MobileNavigator North America by Navigon for $59.99 and TomTom U.S.A. for $49.99. I don't know that you'll be able to get all the functionality you're looking for in a GPS (voice commands, bluetooth capability, route planning, etc.) from either of those or any other navigation app. on an iPhone.

I use a TomTom Rider 2 on my bike and with the freeware called T.Y.R.E. (http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php) you can do route planning somewhat like that in the Garmin Zumo 550 unit.

Ned

bobajobbob

Two Stroke
I use Navigon on my iPhone and have a dedicated Tom Tom unit. The Navigon software on the iPhone surprised me as it works very well and is better than the dedicated Tom Tom in a lot of ways now that it has full post code search. I haven't tried the Tom Tom on the iphone but my brother has it and has not been very impressed. For some reason it has never worked properly on his phone. I'm guessing that it runs better on a 3GS than a standard 3G but having said that the Navigon software worked fine on my 3G. When the Tom Tom software works it appears to be identical to dedicated units.

Last edited:

drmuonfunk

Scooter
bobajobbob - Are you able to route or alter routes with the Navigon? How's the turn by turn directions? Are you using bluetooth audio or depending on the screen for cues?

Thanks for your help on this.

bobajobbob

Two Stroke
The turn by turn works great. I have never tried to alter routes and i'm not sure whether it can be done with Navigon. I'll try it and come back to you. I use the standard headphones on the bike or screen cues and screen in the car.

bobajobbob

Two Stroke
Having played about a bit you can build custom routes with checkpoints along the way a well as selecting your preferred route profile. I.e. Motorways, b roads, nontoll roads etc. Seems pretty comprehensive though I can't vouch for how well it works as I tend to stick to default profile.

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Having played about a bit you can build custom routes with checkpoints along the way a well as selecting your preferred route profile. I.e. Motorways, b roads, nontoll roads etc. Seems pretty comprehensive though I can't vouch for how well it works as I tend to stick to default profile.

bobajobbob - thank you so much for looking into this for me. Great help.