Instrument panel

mtnbandit

Scooter
Hi All;
I have a 2012 T-100 Bonneville with a Tack and Speedo in the panel.
When riding in certain circumstances the sun will reflect off the glass and nearly blind me.
My question is, has anyone found a way to stop this sun reflection other then covering/breaking the glass. I'd still like to be able to read the instruments and keep them waterproof.
Thank you,
Brent

Motley

750cc
Hi All;
When riding in certain circumstances the sun will reflect off the glass and nearly blind me.
My question is, has anyone found a way to stop this sun reflection other then covering/breaking the glass. I'd still like to be able to read the instruments and keep them waterproof.
Thank you,
Brent

Perhaps an anti-reflective coating, although I'm not sure where you might get it.

This might work http://www.monifilm.com/apple.php?act=view&no=10

Last edited:
Not trying to be a "smarty-britches" here but...sunglasses? I've had a problem on other 'cycles with glare off of an over-abundance of chrome in the "cock-pit" area, but never off of instrument panel glass.

D9

Vendor
This is why I usually try to gently talk owners out of polished / chrome plated
instrument brackets... face full of full sun glare at the wrong time / wrong place...
not good. Still build 'em though.

mtnbandit - wondering, is there a particular time of day / route this consistently happens on?

There's pressure sensitive vinyl in matte clear and opaque colors I often use for
graphics-related projects.
I wouldn't suggest covering the entire face of the instrument, as even
the clear material will obscure instrument markings, but covering 50% will
do much, and still allow you enough instrument info at a glance.
I used to apply it for track days, see photo. Could also be used on the top area of the
instruments instead of the bottom. You could experiment with black electrical
tape to see if this works to mitigate the glare condition, if it does, can send
you some of the clear material to try.
BiltwellClubmans3_zps04acadd2.jpg

This is why I usually try to gently talk owners out of polished / chrome plated
instrument brackets... face full of full sun glare at the wrong time / wrong place...
not good.

Not a viable solution for Brent, but interesting nonetheless.

I purchased the OEM headlight grill for my Scrambler, in chrome (only option from what I can tell). I found it interesting when I tried to go for a ride after dark. With it being chrome, the light from the headlight beam bounced off of the back of the headlight grill and back up into my face blinding me and seriously inhibiting my ability to even see. And considering the throw from a scrambler headlight beam is already marginal at best, this only made my situation worse. So I pulled it back off and hit it with Plasti-Dip. Once I remounted it, I went for a ride and all was much better. What the fuck was Triumph thinking there?

qwenzel

Two Stroke
Hi All;
Thank you,
Brent

I feel your pain, I have the same problem. Much better with a dark visor on your helmet.