Installed EBC Full Floating Rotor and HH pads...

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Had a warp front rotor...So when I got home UPS had stopped by to make my day, I ordered the rotor from Brent last week...and like reliable clock work...it was here today! It was $232.00? and that included the new EBC HH pads...a stock Triumph slab cost anywhere between $190.00-$210.00 (quotes I got), then you have to buy new pads...So the EBC was a better buy including it's benefits. Here is the description from NB.com.

http://newbonneville.com/html/ebc_brakes.html

So it only took about 1 hour...20 minutes of that was cleaning the old loctite off the bolts. Replaced the rotor, loctited the bolts, torque'em down...16lbs., put everything back together. Took a small ride around the block...in the pouring rain and being new (rotor & pads), I took it easy...you'll need to let them "set" before really getting on them...like new tires. The tire/wheel/rotor combo was much lighter...much lighter...I should have weighed the stock vs EBC, but just holding them hand and hand...the EBC was seriously much lighter. Steering felt lighter...that was interesting...Anyhow, I'll get 200 miles on them by Friday evening, then this weekend I'll have a go with them. I'll let you know.

Here they are...
Great time to clean up all those tight spots! So Fresh & So Clean!
NewRotor001.jpg

Comparison...the stock rotor is a chunk of metal over the EBC...
NewRotor003.jpg

Cheers!
MONDO

DandyDoug

750cc
Looks good and sounds like you did all the right stuff. Suggest you check and possibly re-torque the rotor mounting bolts in a few hundred miles.

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Looks good and sounds like you did all the right stuff. Suggest you check and possibly re-torque the rotor mounting bolts in a few hundred miles.

Absolutely...I plan on doing that Friday or Saturday morning...I have a "Spirited" Ride planned this weekend...Thanks!

tribear

Street Tracker
New disc

Nice.
I have the same set up sitting on the bench waiting to go on. Building shelves in the garage to get all of the crap off of the floor to have more space to work on bikes. Next on list: Install rotor and pads.
Let us know your impressions.

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
Revolt, have you, by chance replaced the brake lines (I like the Spiegler braided SS lines) and pumped in some fresh DOT 4 fluid?

You'd be surprised at the increase in braking and feel you get...

Nice work! Just curious, what are the benefits of full floating disks? I wonder why they don't offer full floating disks for Thruxtons.

REVOLT

Street Tracker
SCBonneville- I have not replaced the brake lines...I thought about it...but I just had them inspected and tested and they are are in good shape...Next Spring/Summer...I'm pretty sure I will replace them with the SS lines. You're right, there is a HUGE difference in response over stock...the SS really does a great job of restricting the expansion of the line before applying pressure to the pots...Had a Road King with SS lines...it was a Braking BEAST! As of right now the Bonnies does have fresh DOT 4 front and rear...new pads...front and rear...and the EBC rotor...the Brakes feel great! I'll know more as the rotor sets in.

BBR...When you're ready to change'em over...let me know...I have all the tools and always a fridge full of Guinness to enjoy! That goes for any project you have...just give me a call!

Cheers!
MONDO

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Nice work! Just curious, what are the benefits of full floating disks? I wonder why they don't offer full floating disks for Thruxtons.

The "floating" allows the rotor to move freely in relation to the pads/caliper and wheel...it minimizes the chance of distortion (warp) and they are usually lighter over a stock rotor.

And your Thruxton does have a floating rotor...you goof-ball!:fight:

Cheers!
MONDO

REVOLT

Street Tracker
as far as I know, the stock brake lines are SS with rubber/plastic over it

Intersting...I never heard of that, on the Bonnie...I've seen SS with a Clear plastic cover to minimize dirt getting trapped in the mesh and causing abrasion issues on the actual line? Hell...Thanks Jeff:D...if that is the case, then you just saved us a bunch of $$$! As far as the stock lines on the Bonnie, they have always felt great to me...still do...but if there was the benefit to upgrade to SS? Cool...but not anymore?

Cheers!
MONDO

MES

750cc
Yes the stock lines are SS+coated
Yes,Thruxtons have floating rotors stock
Yes
The "floating" allows the rotor to move freely in relation to the pads/caliper and wheel...it minimizes the chance of distortion (warp) and they are usually lighter over a stock rotor.
as well as for a more uniform contact area/increased braking efficiency. About 15%, more or less.

I got the EBC floating rotor about 1 1/2 months after I got my bike because, by modern standards. the stock setup was a little better than marginal. I like 'em and would recomend that if you need a new front rotor then go with the EBC. It's an extra $35 well spent.
The difference is quite noticeable but not dramatic. If you require dramatic then use an R3 master which is a direct swap. about $235.
Then you can deal with the issue of pulling under hard braking.

Ok, I'm little slow today after staying up late last night celebrating.

And your Thruxton does have a floating rotor...you goof-ball!:fight:

Cheers!
MONDO

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Damn!!!!

Ok...These things just kick ass...the handling has been greatly improved. That heavy ass 19" chunk of stainless/tire combo has trimmed quit a bit of fat. Tracking is 100% better...The front end turns and manuvers with greater ease and over-all the handling is lighter/better (less rotational mass)! It's very noticeable, had someone changed everything without me knowing, I would have stopped after about a mile to see what was going on up front. Braking power? There is no comparison to the old steel turkey patter...easy or hard pulls on the front brake are smoother and more controlled, and the HH pads haven't made a sound so far (like most "performance pads"). To the touch, after a spirited ride, the rotor is much cooler. Some may have saw the speedo cable thread...that was fixed lastnight, and everything was working like new! So, if you are rolling a Bonnie...and have seen the EBC Full Floater and HH pads but were'nt sure if it would make a difference? I'm here to tell you..DO IT! The comparison is apples to oranges even though we are talking about the same parts/bike and all...

So...14,000ish miles...changed front and rear fluid, front rotor to a full floating EBC, HH pads up front and FA pads in the rear...makes one Hell of a difference! That's all on top of past modifcations such as a heavily chopped front fender, Progressive spings in the forks, 20wt oil, and the fork tubes "lowered" 5/8" in the yokes. I'm wondering what a stock front end feels like now in comparison?

Now I can hear "Last Caress" from The Misfits playing in the garage...and I have a Guinness on the work bench...time to tend to my "Bonnie Situation"!:beer:

Cheers!
MONDO

TheBBR

Scooter
Mondo,

When I do the springs this winter I will let you take mine out for a spin so you can feel the front end difference. It's the least I can do since you offered your help.

A

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Mondo,

When I do the springs this winter I will let you take mine out for a spin so you can feel the front end difference. It's the least I can do since you offered your help.

A

Right on! And as far as helping you out...anytime...just give me a call!! We'll see if Ralph and Nick are up to swapping thier springs too...we can have a spring swapping manage-a-trois...Well...that doesn't sound right...but you know what I mean...:lol:

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Ok,

So you've had the new brake set-up for some time now, and I have to ask if you still like it? Was it $$$ well spent? Does it make that much of a difference? Any quality issues? Still reccomend?