In pursuit of more HP

Bonafide

NBR founder
So no matter how many times I tell myself, 'if you wanna go faster ... buy a Busa' - someone talks me into putting a go fast part on one of my bikes. If you give me more HP - I'll use it. Not sure that's a good thing. ;)

Met up with Fast Freddy and JCW last night at the backdoor of Atlanta Triumph Ducati's garage. Pulled the ol Thrux in and established a baseline run on the dyno - then it immediately went up on a lift and pieces and parts started coming off.

A hogged-out ported head by Fast Freddy's hand was gonna get put to use. Still using my stock Thrux cams and stock carbs, but Fred had some nice ported matched intakes coupled to the head.

No too many hiccups along the way except once everything was finished and we went back to the dyno and the very first run graphs showed the stock carbs and cams are serious weak points. Now it's 1am and we're just outta time to sit and tune the bike properly. Throw in some big jets/mains so I can make it back home without the worry of being too lean - some 30 miles North on I-75 (I rode the bike down there). It's 2:30am and I'm pulling into the neighborghood on a set of Predator cans. ;)

Without getting any proper time to tune - the bike still managed to pick up 5 rear wheel HP over my baseline run and on a vitually stock bike - only change being Fred's port work. My Thrux has an eliminated airbox and Predators - nothing else. With a proper tune and/or some flatsides and cams - should bring the full potential of this ported head. We'll get the bike back down to the dyno when we all have more time and tune it out some more. The graph showed HP/TQ bump across the board, but especially on the top end where it continued to make HP all the way to the rev limit. Before it fell off around 6800rpms.

The last pic is JCW trying out a bike he's had his eye on all night. He l o v e s those Ape Hangers and thinkin about putting a set on his Thrux.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 0

UraniumC

Banned
bet the Busa would be cheaper, too. ;0

makes me almost glad I don;t have the mechanical skills needed to get in that sort of trouble.

Apes on a Thrux? Oh, my! :eek:

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Has any consideration been given to the Matt Capri cams he has available? He has two cams one for the street( with mid range hp) and one for the track (with all the hp on top).

Bonafide

NBR founder
Has any consideration been given to the Matt Capri cams he has available? He has two cams one for the street( with mid range hp) and one for the track (with all the hp on top).

yeah, ThruxTonUp put a set in his Thruxton (has ported head, bigger valves, higher comp) and pulled another 10 rwhp with only the swap in cams (using TPUSA's 813 grind).