Alternative to stock speedometer?

DavidC

Rocker
I am almost sure I've seen sources for this before but forget where. Is there a source for a smaller speedometer that is reasonably adaptable to an '07 Bonneville?

David

DavidC

Rocker
clarify

Allow me to clarify - not a bracket, the speedometer itself. By the way, SCL18, that headlamp is nice. Where did you come across it? That is a nice alternative indeed!

Last edited:
That is too cool. I've seen that before. What kind of bike is that from or is that a totally custom made deal? I really like the clean look of that.

SCL18

Two Stroke
Allow me to clarify - not a bracket, the speedometer itself. By the way, SCL18, that headlamp is nice. Where did you come across it? That is a nice alternative indeed!

You will still want to talk to D9...he can make you a bracket for the mini speedos/tachs found at http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-accessories.php?category_id=8.5

That is too cool. I've seen that before. What kind of bike is that from or is that a totally custom made deal? I really like the clean look of that.

The bucket is from a 60/70's Ural, got it off ebay from a guy in the Ukraine. A little dremel work to make a stock speedo fit, sand, paint, and you're good to go.

Bonafide

NBR founder

as noted - MikeXS has them, but D9 may be able to point you to someone that sells them cheaper. He'll also know the exact ones you'll need for your Bonnie. The most effective way to mount them would be with D9s bracket. He had some pics of them being used on a Bonnie - so again - he would be the main person for advice on the subject ...

The speedo in the headlight bucket look - I'm not a fan of it, but ... Benjie Cafe Racer is now making one for the CBs - not sure if it'll fit our application (different sized fork dia), but it wouldnt hurt to ask Benjie's opinion. http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/euroheadlightbucket.html

loxpump

Rocker
Mikes XS Speedo, E-Bay Tach, D9 Bracket with Ignition relocation.
D9 is the go to guy!

2008m5.jpg

MattRat

TT Racer
Which one of the tachs listed on mike's site is the correct one to get?
I know the info's on thet other place but I don't want to look there.

D9

Vendor
Matt,

Mikes doesn't sell a electronic 2.39" tach to match the speedo he sells... all his
2.39" tachos are mechanical... and you need electronic.

I've purchased this one before from J&P:

http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?source=mb&pid=5600265&mybuyscid=1146017421&

... and here's a similar unit. Not sure why the price difference, I'd call J&P and ask...

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdeta...0B946&store=All&page=3&search=mini tachometer

You can find 'em on ebay too... not sure if the cost savings is worth it... J&P
has been good to deal with IME...

Make sure your mini tacho has the wiring coming out of a single port in the back as in pic 1 below... don't buy any mini tacho that has the "bundle of snakes" wiring on the back like the one in the second pic... it looks like ass & is has inferior fit & finish as well

tachback1.jpg

tachback2.jpg

Cheers,

D9

MattRat

TT Racer
no - I want the little one that you used in the cyber and that fits the LS1 - is that the electronic 1.9" here?
03-0675.jpg

Part #03-0675 from mikeXs

I think the ones you poster were the bigger ones, no?

DavidC

Rocker
Speedometer

Loxpump - I am not interested in the tachometer, but is the speedometer you have easy to install [as in using the existing wiring on the machine]? The idiot lights work ok? I'd rally like a smaller speedo on my Bonneville to "clean up" that part of the bike. The big one doesn't really get it for me because in the interest of safety and ease of riding, I rarely look at the speedo - unless I see a cop. If you will, tell me your thoughts on the speedo.

Thanks, David

D9

Vendor
no - I want the little one that you used in the cyber and that fits the LS1 - is that the electronic 1.9" here?
03-0675.jpg

Part #03-0675 from mikeXs

I think the ones you poster were the bigger ones, no?

Matt - the 1.9" won't fit the LS1 - the LS1 is for the 2.39" mini tachs... not sure if LS1 has anything else in the works... you'd need to contact him & ask.

FYI Already started working on my own design for an under-bracket for the 1.9" tacho...

Cheers,

D9

D9

Vendor
Loxpump - I am not interested in the tachometer, but is the speedometer you have easy to install [as in using the existing wiring on the machine]? The idiot lights work ok? I'd rally like a smaller speedo on my Bonneville to "clean up" that part of the bike. The big one doesn't really get it for me because in the interest of safety and ease of riding, I rarely look at the speedo - unless I see a cop. If you will, tell me your thoughts on the speedo.

Thanks, David

David,

The mini gauges really do give a lower profile... done right, they look cool.... they're not plug & play however...

There's resources & people available to help you through the process if you decide to go that route...

Cheers,

D9

loxpump

Rocker
David,
The Mikes Speedo isn't a plug and play. I did put plugs on the ends of the wires and tapped into the stock wires. I know others have done a better job than I did, but it's all hidden inside the headlight bucket anyway. The plugs just make it easier to remove should you have to. The idiot lights work fine, except that you will have to use a pair of diodes with the turn signals to get them to work properly. Psasak had the wiring diagram, but you basically wire the diodes in parallel with the indicator light on the speedo, otherwise all 4 lights will flash at the same time. The stock speedo indicator must have one built in. I suppose you could get the speedo without the idiot lights and use the stock lights, but not sure if D9 has a bracket for that set up. There's a new one for you D9, mini speedo with stock lights, and perhaps an ignition relo to boot. Hope this helps, but basically it was very easy to do. Let me know if you need more help, or there are others here that have done what I have done.
Fred

MattRat

TT Racer
Matt - the 1.9" won't fit the LS1 - the LS1 is for the 2.39" mini tachs... not sure if LS1 has anything else in the works... you'd need to contact him & ask.

FYI Already started working on my own design for an under-bracket for the 1.9" tacho...

Cheers,

D9

damn, I thought it was for the little one...

let me know what you come up with for the mini...I'd love to see something minimalist. I'd even consider a mini speedo and tach bracket with the stock idiot lights - like lox suggested...