I'm stumped

whyme

TT Racer
OK I have a ARK and TORS on a 07 scram. Put 140s in first. Ran fast but had some stumbles 3-4 k. 135s in now and still stumbles....and slower!! Any ideas?? 3 turns out too.

thanks

whyme

TT Racer
Tribear offered up the advice of adding a shim. The Dinqua site has some good pics. I guess I'll give that a go now.

Thanks for all of your help everyone....

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Adding a shim sounds like good advice. It's really easy to do as well.

I have TORS, double inlet airbox mod, 135 mains, thruxton needle, and 2 turns out.

whyme

TT Racer
What's the thruxton needle?...besides the obvious. I' going to the dealer ASAP and seeing if I can get some shims. I looked online and I just can't pay $8 shipping for 4 washers...just hurts too much.

Bonniebret

Rocker
What's the thruxton needle?...besides the obvious. I' going to the dealer ASAP and seeing if I can get some shims. I looked online and I just can't pay $8 shipping for 4 washers...just hurts too much.

Don't order shims. Just go to your local hardware store and pick up some .5mm #4 stainless steel washers. You'll probably get 'em for the change in your pocket.

whyme

TT Racer
Thanks Bonniebret!! Going tomorrow to look. Wiseanhyzer-why use a Thruxton needle?

thanks for your input everyone..not the kind of input Mario is enjoying over there though..funny!

ivar

TT Racer
The "thruxton needles" first came (you guessed it) on the Thrux - and later on all 865 engines. The needles used on the 790 Bonnevilles were leaner in the midrange, hence the advice in the Jenks guide to use Thruxton needles.
But now with all engines being 865cc, I believe they all use the "thrux needles" if I'm not mistaken..?

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
I think Scramblers have their own needles (happy to be told I'm wrong!). IIRR, the needles on mine have a different code to the Thruxton ones.

whyme

TT Racer
drlapo....you obviously have never been to my Sears Hardware!!! Unfortunately it's my closest and worst hardware store manned by a staff of idiots, morons and psych ward escapees. Thanks for the info though!

whyme

TT Racer
So I opened up the carb top..one shim was in so I added another and turned it down 1/2 turn on the air/fuel mixture. Whoever designed that D screw and put it way under there should be shot! I'll see how it runs tomorrow. Anyone but the fancy carb tops?? They look sweet but a little too steep for me....at the moment.

tribear

Street Tracker
You opened up both carb tops right? Adjustments should be equal on both sides/carbs. Good luck!

whyme

TT Racer
There are 2 carbs?? yes...sorry for the lack of an "s"....both carbs! I'll give it a shot tonight if it does not rain.

thanks!!

West

Scooter
I put BC Preds on my Scram and tried the 135's supplied by them. Waaayyy to rich! Stumbles and refuses to rev. I went back to the stock 110's. I also bumped the pilots to a 42 from the stock 40.

I think with straight pipes and velocity stacks it may run ok with the 135's.

whyme

TT Racer
ok...out for a ride tonight. It's better in the mids but I still smell unburned fuel when I stop Also the idle varies and slows unless i blip it. So still to rich?? I'm at 2.5 turns with 2 shims and 135s. Down to 2 turns out? Am I turning the right way for less fuel? correct? thanks all!!

tribear

Street Tracker
Hmmm....
Ya, try two turns out. Can't hurt. Correct, tightening or turning screws clockwise if you are looking up at the bottom of the carbs will lean the mixture. Do you know what pilots are installed?

Last edited: