Ignition Problems

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
09 Thruxton, EFI

On occasion ive started the bike - it starts to turn over and it dies.

The no gas and oil pressure light turn on... I turn the key and power off. Wait about 30 seconds and its fine. But if i try immediatly, the start button doesnt even work.

Any ideas?

coopv2

Street Tracker
Hi there RR you know the injected bikes have a fail safe in the ignitor that will not allow them to start if the voltage drops below a certain point.
So if your battery is not in tip top condition, the energy used to crank it drops the volts below this point and... no start baby.
You should buy a battery tender, that plugs into the wall socket and a small harness permanently attaches to the battery terminals. when you get back from your ride. simply plug into the bike harness and leave it on till next ride.
Should have no more problems
hope that helps.
Coop

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
What Coop said. Also up your idle over 1000 rpm...stator doesn't charge the battery below 1K rpm. Other thing is...if you are doing a lot of city riding and not getting a good charge on the battery, have your dealer load the "Urban Tune". This will lower your start threshold...into the high 11 V range.
Cheers.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
That makes sense... I dident use the bike for a little over a week. I rode about 5 mins... parked for an hour... restart was harsh.

And MOST of my riding is in the city. Mostly in second gear.

I think ill start my bike and blast over the hills a few miles at freeway speeds and give the battery some juice.

Ill let you know how it goes.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
That makes sense... I dident use the bike for a little over a week. I rode about 5 mins... parked for an hour... restart was harsh.

And MOST of my riding is in the city. Mostly in second gear.

I think ill start my bike and blast over the hills a few miles at freeway speeds and give the battery some juice.

Ill let you know how it goes.

that's the f*ckin spirit...any excuse for a ride.

tezza

Street Tracker
didnt know about the urban tune ,does that only effect the charge rate or does it change the ignition tune too heard abot this problen else where

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Tezz,
Voltage threshold at start up only. Check with your dealer if you decide to go with the UT that your current map will not be violated.