Idle Question

taw1126

Scooter
This is probably a very simple question. If the right manual had come with my carb'd 2008 Scrambler I doubt that I'd even have to ask, but...

Just got finished riding my Scrambler about 30 miles this evening, the most time i've spent on it so far, and I only started paying attention to how fast it was idling tonight.

The bike idles at ~1,500 rpm (I've got the optional Triumph tach) and my guess is that it should be ~1,000 or so. The manual that came with my bike is for EFI models, so I can't find anything on 1) how to adjust the idle or 2) what it should be set at.

I'm sure this is a real novice question (I haven't owned a bike in about 20 years) but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

koifarm

Hooligan
Hmmm, I was not aware that the new 09's had the same idle adjuster...thanks for posting that....Do they have a "choke" being fuel injected? .never know when I'm gonna steal one and I'd like to be able to start it.....lmao.....
Hey Taw, nice to have you aboard....love them scrams....they are my second most favorite bike...
You might try the "search" function for questions...there is a huge database there covering most any question you might have and it's easy to use...
Enjoy your ride man, we love pictures here so when you get a chance send some on up....if you've got a digital camera you can upload and download pictures from Photobucket free for nothin...and post em here or easier yet use the attachment feature on the forum here but those are generally thumbnails and don't show the true glory of your ride...lol....oh, don't miss the "Babes on Bikes" thread..

Last edited:

taw1126

Scooter
Hmmm, I was not aware that the new 09's had the same idle adjuster...thanks for posting that....Do they have a "choke" being fuel injected?

I don't know if the 2009's have an idle adjustment or not, but they have something that is marked (and pulls in & out) like a choke. When I looked at an '09 the dealer told me what it is but I've forgotten. I sought out an '08 because I wanted the nostalgic fuel delivery system on a nostalgic bike.

Thanks for the welcome. I've enjoyed searching through the information and I'll have to pack my camera along on the next Saturday morning ride.

sportyone

Street Tracker
I don't know if the 2009's have an idle adjustment or not, but they have something that is marked (and pulls in & out) like a choke. When I looked at an '09 the dealer told me what it is but I've forgotten. I sought out an '08 because I wanted the nostalgic fuel delivery system on a nostalgic bike.

Thanks for the welcome. I've enjoyed searching through the information and I'll have to pack my camera along on the next Saturday morning ride.

hehehe, :shh: worries me with some of the questions asked on these forums, whether or not some people should really be riding a motorcycle ??:eeek:

blacktiger

Scooter
Clarification.

Just to clarify, the EFI models have a fast idle thing on the left side of the fake "carbs" which has two positions. Fully out for a cold start and a notch half way for warming up and sometimes needed when the engine is slightly warm.
EFI models also have an idle adjuster also on the left side poking out under the fake "carbs". Recommended idle speed is 1000rpm.