I like my girls with less clothes on. . .just like my bike

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Okay, so here's my next little project for Saffron. I want to ditch the side covers, the rest of my air-box and battery box, and re route all the wires and hoses. Basically I just want the pod filters sticking out there and the ability to see through the bike. I was figuring I just needed to go to home depot or whatever and get some aluminum to make a battery box, bend it and bolt it together and bolt it in. Just figured y'all who have done this might be able to give me an idea of how to reroute and hide the wiring and perhaps some sort of template for the battery box.

Bonafide

NBR founder
If you eliminate the possibility of ever carrying a pillion again, you could remove all portions of the seat that's hidden under the cowl - making that your battery box/fuse panel area.

Beachfinn

Scooter
If my memory serves me correctly I only had to lengthen couple wires to move all that stuff under the stock seat pan. I still have to fab a battery box also, I just chopped the stock one (cut everything off around it). I have the fuse box and the relays hot glued to the "dip" right after the battery hole and the ignition on the next dip almost at the end.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Yea I have to retain the ability to carry a pillion, otherwise the rear pegs and brackets would be gone and I'd have DD full race cans. Beachfinn I'm not quite sure what you mean, any photos?

badda_bing

Two Stroke
I did, but I ran the wires to the sides and bottom of the hark.....

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

I don't think it would be too hard to build a cover of sorts that would go over the wiring and fuse areas.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Bing, I like that set up, but I'd be trying to hide all of those wires and hoses and not have any sidecovers whatsoever and just a clean hole through the bike minus having the battery box there, hopefully more tucked back and up. I'll have to dis-assemble everything and make a template and see how far and how well i can hide and stretch everything I suppose. Just sucks having the bike down for any period of time because I am blessed with year round riding weather for the most part.

I don't think you can accomplish what you want and keep the ability to go 2up.

Do a search on the rats.nest for member named "vertwerks". Fucker really cleaned it up.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Saw verts bike and thats almost exactly what I'm looking for, just would mount the breather hose and brake fluid reservoir more hidden. Cutting of the tabs would be necessary, I just can't lose the pillion option. I'm guessing there isn't enough room under the tank or seat to put all stuff. . . damn

longjohns

Scooter
maybe if you had an 08-up tank and a TINY battery you can get it under the relief for the fuel pump....works good in theory.

or...i wouldnt recommend it but ive seen someone mount a battery under the swingarm. not on a thruxton but on a cb and i think they used the centerstand mount holes and made a bracket for the battery.

heres a pic. very sexy bike!

poquitofrnt2-718x422.jpg

Texas94fs

Hooligan
That would work, I don't mind having the battery box there, i could probably tuck it back between the rails a bit more and raise it, but I just have to find a way to hide all the damn wiring. I'm workin on her today she needs new brake pads in the rear, And I'll see what all I can move where. That bike is pretty much exactly what I want with that hole through her. Everyone likes a hole in a girl right. . .well not everyone but I know I do!

Beachfinn

Scooter
Here's couple poor pictures of my work in progress. I for one didn't like the hole :eeek: so i have DIY covers on. Only thing behind them is the brake fluid reservoir. The plate that will cover the wheel and is the battery box is under construction while I figure what needs to mount to it. Hope this helps a bit.

IMG_2878Medium.jpg

IMG_2882Medium.jpg

And no those goofy foam filters don't belong there either, I lost one of my K&N's and had to find something similar to both sides while I wait for the order to come in :)

Last edited:

longjohns

Scooter
i think rodburner is running a smaller battery so you can look into that for space savings. let me know what you come up with

Texas94fs

Hooligan
SO it will all fit there! I was hoping. I'll fab up a batter box out of aluminum most likely to move it up and back between the rails and hide the rest of that junk like you did, and hopefully that ought to accomplish what I'm shooting for.

some company makes really small batteries that have the same cranking juice as our bigass batteries do.

I've heard this one recommended before:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc310.htm

You outta check the cranking amps and compare to stock, but if you got a smaller battery it would make things a lot easier and cleaner. Also, sealed batteries can be mounted in any position, that opens up options.

D9

Vendor
Here's couple poor pictures of my work in progress. I for one didn't like the hole :eeek: so i have DIY covers on. Only thing behind them is the brake fluid reservoir. The plate that will cover the wheel and is the battery box is under construction while I figure what needs to mount to it. Hope this helps a bit.

IMG_2878Medium.jpg

IMG_2882Medium.jpg

And no those goofy foam filters don't belong there either, I lost one of my K&N's and had to find something similar to both sides while I wait for the order to come in :)

Lookin' good! Rockin' sidecovers!

maybe if you had an 08-up tank and a TINY battery you can get it under the relief for the fuel pump....works good in theory.

or...i wouldnt recommend it but ive seen someone mount a battery under the swingarm. not on a thruxton but on a cb and i think they used the centerstand mount holes and made a bracket for the battery.

heres a pic. very sexy bike!

poquitofrnt2-718x422.jpg

Incredible...!

Bonafide

NBR founder
Benjie also makes seats that have the battery box mounted in the tail section. I've emailed him a couple times about making products for the NBs but guess he has all the work he wants with the old CB crowds? Hard to believe - cause for the most part - they're a serious cheap group.

Beachfinn

Scooter
seats that have the battery box mounted in the tail section.
the tail in these bikes really lends it self to putting the battery back there. I measured the stock battery and it would fit with no problems to a custom tray build in to the big hole at the tail section (like mentioned one could tilt it a bit and make even smaller hump). I've got other crap going in there so the battery has to stay where it is :(