I just fell in love!

johnrm

Scooter
Hi Everyone,

I am smitten!

I'm a fifty-one year old male; fit and able, with time on my hands. I have been riding dirt-bikes for the last ten years with my sons. I had never owned a road bike. However, last year I bought a beautiful BMW R1200 GSA in September and went around the US solo for 38 days. I have taken on road and off road courses with my Bimmer. I've put 26000 km on her. I love my bike; it handles much better than anyone would think and I would tour ANYWHERE on her. But she's a beast in the city; tall, top heavy etc., and I have been seriously thinking of a smaller, lighter more nimble bike that I could use for day trips to the curvies in Vt and around town.

During an awesome Saturday ride recently a buddy suggested a Triumph Sprint ST which we saw at a rest stop. I was intrigued, but I had been thinking more along the lines of an old BMW R65LS. On the final stretch home we got jammed in some thick traffic and crept up on what looked like an old Bonneville. That's what I want, I thought, but where will I find one?

I located a local dealer and it being Sunday went down to peer in the window. The T100 Bonneville was there, but my eye was caught by a white and red Thruxton! OMG! It was over there and then. Since, that moment I have been all over the web for info.

Everyone here must have more experience than I do. I just want to know what your opinions are on the major differences between the Thruxton and T100. Did anyone else have that overpowering feeling about their new Triumphs? I don't usually take a passenger, but would like the option available. Any feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks,
J

Bonafide

NBR founder
That white/red Thruxton is a special edition. The major differences are just trimmings - you can add/swap all parts around from one modern classic to another. That said, if you like the Thrux ... buy it. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying a T100 and 'cafe'ing' it to ride/look like a Thruxton.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
There is a seat under that rear cowling, so you can get yourself a pillion skank to ride along, just make sure to clean up the snail trail! You can't go wrong with either!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
John,
If considering the Thruxton which I agree are beautiful, then be sure to test ride one before deciding. The riding position between the Thrux and T100...I own the latter are decidedly different by design. Depending on your size and flexibility the Thrux maybe perfect but I can't take the Thrux riding position as well as the more std. bonnie position.
The rearsets on the Thrux are higher and set more rearward :) than the feet position on the bonnie. Some...its rare...have taken the Thrux and installed std. bonnie feet controls for more comfort but many have gone the other direction and taken a bonnie and installed rearset foot controls to make the position closer to the stock cafe Thruxon position. The reason I mention this is...I just tried this experiment on my T100 and it didn't work for me. I sold my rearsets to another bonnie member here who may appreciate the Thrux position more than I did. Riding position is very particular to each owner.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm 61 with an 05 Thruxton andi find it very comfy
I had higher adjustable clip ons on it but put the stock clip ons back on
I rode it to Bennigton last year and put 900+ miles on it in 3 days with no discomfort
the foot pegs are just right

johnrm

Scooter
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will try to demo both if possible, but barring that, I think that the Thrux riding position won't be an issue around town and when I want to do a day of twisties, the T100 might leave me wondering why I'm not on my R1200 GSA. It's always compromises with bikes, isn't it?

I'm going back to the dealer this morning to see the bikes in the flesh for the first time.

:D

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I'm 61 with an 05 Thruxton andi find it very comfy
I had higher adjustable clip ons on it but put the stock clip ons back on
I rode it to Bennigton last year and put 900+ miles on it in 3 days with no discomfort
the foot pegs are just right
The pegs are just right "for you". As I recall, you are a little guy.
I am a tall guy. Little guys fit better on bikes with higher and more rearward pegs than little guys.
Big difference. Just like shoes, one size doesn't fit all.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will try to demo both if possible, but barring that, I think that the Thrux riding position won't be an issue around town and when I want to do a day of twisties, the T100 might leave me wondering why I'm not on my R1200 GSA. It's always compromises with bikes, isn't it?

I'm going back to the dealer this morning to see the bikes in the flesh for the first time.

:D

Quite an obtuse comparison. As sport bike guys pass you in the twisties when you get your new Thruxton, they may wonder why you didn't buy a sport bike.

Last edited:

johnrm

Scooter
Quite an obtuse comparison. As sport bike guys pass you in the twisties when you get your new Thruxton, they may wonder why you didn't buy a sport bike.

Chris,

A sport bike is probably an even tighter, cramped "fit"; has no "cool retro" factor, (I'm not that enamoured of the modern naked bike look); an exhaust note is not as pleasing to me and is, perhaps, even a bit too zingy a motor for more relaxed city riding. I think that for any overnight trip I would take my R1200 GSA anyway. I'm not looking to beat anybody on the Thruxton; just to enjoy a different ride experience from my current bike, which I find a bit too cumbersome for casual riding around town.

Anyway, once I've tried the Thrux and T100 I'll have a better idea. I'll post my impressions later.

I do appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming.

Motley

750cc
Chris,

A sport bike is probably an even tighter, cramped "fit"; has no "cool retro" factor, (I'm not that enamoured of the modern naked bike look); an exhaust note is not as pleasing to me and is, perhaps, even a bit too zingy a motor for more relaxed city riding. I think that for any overnight trip I would take my R1200 GSA anyway. I'm not looking to beat anybody on the Thruxton; just to enjoy a different ride experience from my current bike, which I find a bit too cumbersome for casual riding around town.

Anyway, once I've tried the Thrux and T100 I'll have a better idea. I'll post my impressions later.

John, if you want "casual riding around town" go with the Bonnie. Although great on open back-roads, the Thruxton is not comfortable in stop and go city traffic.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Chris,

Separating aesthetics John, sport bikes aren't necessarily more cramped than a Thruxton at all...in fact, many times just the
opposite. It depends on how long your legs are mostly and many sport bikes have as much or more room from top of seat to pegs than a Thruxton. The Thruxton is in essence a std bonnie cafe'ed. Sport bikes are designed ergonomically from a clean sheet of paper and I find many of them more comfortable than a Thruxton or my Bonnie with rearsets which I mentioned I tried. This is not only due to distance from top of the seat to pegs but also in part due to seat shape as well. Most sport bikes have quite a tall and slanted seat to work with rearsets. There is no comparison in riding experience between your bimmer and the T100 and why I responded to your comments. Yes you are looking for a markedly different riding experience but a T100 will be radically different than your BMW. Who is quickest and even most comfortable when riding the twisties between bonnie and Thruxton will be based upon the rider and not the bike. The biggest determinant for I would say 90% of those choosing a bonny versus a Thruxton is riding position. Yes aesthetics play a role in deciding...and also the slight spec differences but at the end of the day one must live with the riding position of the bike and would say why most baby boomers buy the bonnie. You may want to check with Triumph to see what the ratio is of bonnies to Thruxtons sold if interested.

John, I will add one last comment I believe worth considering. If you are totally bowled over by the appearance and charm of the Thruxton...then be sure to get that bike. The reason is pretty straightforward and btw I do get what you mean about being smitten.
The appearance and sound of these bikes is largely their appeal.
I like the Thruxton but I liked the bonnie as much cosmetically as to me the longer fenders reminded me of my earlier experience with the original bonnies, nortons and hondas. The reason I say this is...it is quite simple to convert the riding position of a Thruxton to a bonnie. You may prefer the Thruxton handlebar on either bike anyway. As to changing foot controls...you could probably find somebody on here to swap with straight up. So even if you end up preferring the bonnie riding position which many but not all do...if the Thruxton speaks to your heart...get it and convert it fractionally to be more comfortable is what I would suggest.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
the new Thruxton has bars above the triple clamp and is not a "radical" as the clip on bikes
try it you'll like it

Rusk

moped
John, if you want "casual riding around town" go with the Bonnie. Although great on open back-roads, the Thruxton is not comfortable in stop and go city traffic.
I have the old clip-ons, so I'm going to have to agree with this. Fun as hell, when you can just roll back on the throttle and go, though.

ssjones

750cc
the new Thruxton has bars above the triple clamp and is not a "radical" as the clip on bikes
try it you'll like it
I just saw this last week at Capital Triumph in Harrisburg PA. When did they do this? The new bar mounts felt great, the bike also has factory bar-end mirrors. It was beautiful, really made me think about selling the America for something a bit more sporty.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I just saw this last week at Capital Triumph in Harrisburg PA. When did they do this? The new bar mounts felt great, the bike also has factory bar-end mirrors. It was beautiful, really made me think about selling the America for something a bit more sporty.

Two years ago..came out in '09.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
When I bought I had a chance to buy either a Thrux or a Black.... for the same price. I got the Black and haven't looked back since. I really like the position. As somebody else said it's highly personal.

johnrm

Scooter
Gentlemen,

I did it! Sorry I haven't posted, but I've been tooling around on my new Thruxton SE 2010. Very, very happy so far. I added the TOR pipes and I love the sound. The new bars are NOT clip-ons and quite comfortable. Overall, I just couldn't resist the White with Red stripe, but best of all the red clear coated frame that seems to set it off.

All bikes have different characteristics; that's why many of us buy and sell them as the years go. I am still looking for my R65 LS BMW "Project" bike, but at least I have this really fun Thruxton to tool around on.

I want to get the first 500 miles done this weekend. I think the exhaust note will change slightly as she breaks-in. The Metzler tires are also very nice. I'm already considering the tail-light rear fender mod and rear shock upgrade!

I'm very pleased to have joined this group of Triumph owners.

Heizer

Scooter
Agree about the color scheme on that bike. I'd never buy a white car, but the white and red scheme on the SE just looks hot. Congrats on the purchase, and enjoy! (goes without saying)