I got worked at an intersection **2 Graphic Pics**

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
daleCarlsbad,
Agree that a flashing headlight may help. Quick question...in the product description, it mentions a light sensor. Is this mounted remote to the headlight and shuts the modulator off when it starts to become dark?
Thanks.
PS: I can vouch for the headlight relay feature increasing bulb brightness. For those interested I installed a harness sans modulator
and wrote about it in the Project Zone...Eastern Beaver Headlight harness.
Maybe I should add a modulator as well.
PS: For those looking for a modulator...a good alternative if you already have a headlight harness in place:
http://www.kriss.com/h4mod.php

Last edited:
The most effective way to be seen (it seems to me anyway) Is fluro gear. there is always going to be some car that dont see you still but M/bike posties in bright fluro orange or yellow are very hard to miss. Think it is to do with OH & S. But Oz Post are now putting fluro yellow side bags and strips on the bikes as well. I ride the bon to work in my postie gear and most def get noticed more. Dont look very cool tho.

champ7fc

Scooter
The most important lesson from this thread for those of you who still believe that a cage driver sees you at all is, THEY DO NOT REGISTER YOU IN THEIR BRAIN. ON a bike you are invisible to 99.99% of drivers. I can speak with experience, 40 years of riding and three major crashes involving motorists in intersections who said, I DID NOT SEE YOU!!!!!! Each time I had the right of way using signals and headlight. Music has the right atitude, It aint about looking cool, it's all about survival. Crass I know, I just think I had to say it to save at least one of you. Craig

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
I'll say you got worked.. thankfully you're still 'working'. I'm a big fan of BRIGHT stuff.. lime green/yellow jackets, lights, strobe light on top of the helmet, rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air, sparklers sticking out of my ass... whatever it takes to be seen.

All kidding aside, it's getting more common every day for guys like you to get into situations that none of us wants to be in. I'm seriously considering adding a pair of Motolites to my T100. I used to have a pair on a BMW GS a few years back, and I ride with a couple guys who have them on their bikes, and I honestly believe that the 3-light 'triangulation' theory really works. Not only does it provide three times the light, but the 3-lights in a triangle gives the unconconsious boneheads in cages some 'depth perception'.. without them being required to actually think about what it is they're seeing.

Check out Motolites here: https://www.motolight.com/index.php?page=Home

Do you intend to get back on one?..

Last edited:

Pete R

Banned
I always use the Flash/Pass button when approaching a a turning tintop - even if they don't look like pulling out in front of me. Some of them give the finger back (much giggling inside helmet) but at least they've acknowledged my existance!

I remember this was one of the arguements against compulsory headlights on - the inability to startle a driver with blasts of highbeam.

EDIT: Hey Chris those Motolites do look good - thanks for the link!

Last edited:

bonZa

Street Tracker
The most important lesson from this thread for those of you who still believe that a cage driver sees you at all is, THEY DO NOT REGISTER YOU IN THEIR BRAIN. ON a bike you are invisible to 99.99% of drivers. I can speak with experience, 40 years of riding and three major crashes involving motorists in intersections who said, I DID NOT SEE YOU!!!!!! Each time I had the right of way using signals and headlight. Music has the right atitude, It aint about looking cool, it's all about survival. Crass I know, I just think I had to say it to save at least one of you. Craig

I agree with this. BRAIN DOES NOT REGISTER.

dont know how many times I have had a close call because some FUCKWIT decides to pull out in front.

they seem to be in some sort of dazed and confused zombie trance.

I always have highbeam on but still get the odd twit who thinks he/she can pull out and cut you off

glad to here that your recovery is going ok. good luck

Arkwright

Two Stroke
I always use the Flash/Pass button when approaching a a turning tintop -

I'm intrigued by this tactic and I wonder if different signals mean different things depending on where you live.

Here in the UK I think it's safe to say that if you used the Flash/Pass button when approaching a turning car, the driver would assume you were signalling to let him know you were giving way to him and that you intend to stop so he can pull out. It would be a disastrous thing to do.

Would be interested in the views of other riders to this tactic of making yourself seen.

Arkie

the Flash/Pass button when approaching a turning car, the driver would assume you were signalling to let him know you were giving way to him

Also the case in Sydney. Not a good move at all

We also use the flash to let oncoming traffic know Police ahead for breath test. radar etc. And also to let truck's know there is enough room to pull out/in

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I'm intrigued by this tactic and I wonder if different signals mean different things depending on where you live.

Here in the UK I think it's safe to say that if you used the Flash/Pass button when approaching a turning car, the driver would assume you were signalling to let him know you were giving way to him and that you intend to stop so he can pull out. It would be a disastrous thing to do.

Would be interested in the views of other riders to this tactic of making yourself seen.

Arkie
Precisely the argument against manually flashing oncoming drivers by toggling your high beam. I used to do it until I read and determined by experience that it sent a false signal to oncoming drivers.

I will say what I believe and that is...motorcyclists who ride the speed limit through intersections are at risk even though technically they are riding within the law. If I am interpreting the circumstances here correctly, Frank entered the intersection going the speed limit at 45 mph. As mentioned, cagers don't see motorcyclists because their brains aren't trained to see small moving objects...throwback to our primal roots in the jungle where size still rules. :) You instinctively look for what can kill you and motorcycles generally don't kill cagers, rather the other way around. No problem seeing big trucks however. Not only can they not see us but they can't process our speed because we are smaller. Brains process speed by size change relative to time.
When confronted with somebody turning in front of you, best to slow WAY down to allow for processing time...which I think is the best survival skill. And use the power of the bike when the road opens up..why we ride.

I mentioned a white helmet and will say it again. I believe it helps a lot.
Yellow clothes...believe it also helps but haven't gone there...yet.

Strobe aka modulated high beam is probably very effective at drawing attention and maybe my next safety purchase.

Each one of us could be Frank and I believe all of us have to be open minded and learn from others.

Last edited:

Pete R

Banned

Arkie

Also the case in Sydney. Not a good move at all

We also use the flash to let oncoming traffic know Police ahead for breath test. radar etc. And also to let truck's know there is enough room to pull out/in

Interesting. Hopefully I've just not explained myself well.

I too drive a car on busy roads and am well aware of what you speak. There is a difference. I did not mean the simple "flick, flick" of a flasher to indicate "after you sir/madam" which is usually accompanied by the wave of a hand or flick of a head - as well as the slowing of a vehicle to give way. Or the "flick, flick" to indicate Filth ahead. I said "blast", as in I meant the "B L A S T -pause - B L A S T" of high beam to indicate "HEY?!?!, have you seen me YOU KNOBJOCKEY?!?!".

No different to a manual headlight modulator. I use my Flasher as well as the favourite hand signals - you know "poke in the eye", "gun fired into side of head", "knife drawn across throat", a big, arms length "hullo! have you seen me!" wave, etc etc.

Imagine if our FrankieD had been able to attract the attention of the car which turned in front of him. Surely the driver who suddenly sees a bike sitting in the flow of oncoming traffic, bearing down on him at a great rate of knots, obviously not slowing down, is not going to think "shit I didn't see him, he's grabbed my attention, he's waving me through here!"

"Headlights On" is a good idea - but doesn't work all the time. Fluro gear works - but again not all the time.

Do not flash. Another useful tool is removed.

Create attention and watch their hubcaps/mags, works for me. Be different by whatever means. And in 33 years I've never had anyone turn across in front of me after Blasting them (admittedly I sometimes do other things to be sure, especially if I see their hubcaps/mags move)

But maybe they will think I mean something different...hmmm. So I make note to self to keep my bike clear of UK and Sydney roads. Give me the open ones anyday.

Last edited:

Pete R

Banned
Actually (just been watching the Moto2 GP) I've never, ever been on a bike and flashed another vehicle to indicate to them "after you", "out you come", "through you go" etc.

Done it in a car but never on a bike. Do you guys flash cars/trucks while on your bike to indicate such things?

I've always used my hands...

Country roads, take me home (hic)

Pete R

Banned
Just had an idea (Moto2 finished, now waiting for the big'un) - what if we had the ability to flash our indicators. I mean push a button and have all 4 come on at once. I've got LED jobbies and they're as bright as f@#k. Giving the buggers a couple of blasts might grab the attention of a tintop.

Hmm...

mark66

TT Racer
Actually (just been watching the Moto2 GP) I've never, ever been on a bike and flashed another vehicle to indicate to them "after you", "out you come", "through you go" etc.

Done it in a car but never on a bike. Do you guys flash cars/trucks while on your bike to indicate such things?

I've always used my hands...

Country roads, take me home (hic)

No, never have. For some reason I don't think I've ever thought about doing that, just waved a hand like you said.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
daleCarlsbad,
Agree that a flashing headlight may help. Quick question...in the product description, it mentions a light sensor. Is this mounted remote to the headlight and shuts the modulator off when it starts to become dark?
Thanks.
PS: I can vouch for the headlight relay feature increasing bulb brightness. For those interested I installed a harness sans modulator
and wrote about it in the Project Zone...Eastern Beaver Headlight harness.
Maybe I should add a modulator as well.
PS: For those looking for a modulator...a good alternative if you already have a headlight harness in place:
http://www.kriss.com/h4mod.php

Yes the remote sensor automatically reverts the high beam from flashing to steady beam when the sun goes down. It's small and mounts any where.

There are some folks that will say a flashing light could be perceived by the cager as a signal to “go ahead and turn” however I do not agree with this as the continuous flashing looks more like an emergency vehicle coming at you; but to each their own.

And……while coming up on old folks while riding the canyons…….most of the time you can see them look in their mirror….not sure what you are….and they then just pull over & out of the way.

Numerous times I will see a car about to pull out onto the road in front of me, and then stop when they see that flashing high beam. I always anticipate a car pulling out, but once they see you (it’s obvious) all is well.

b117d525.jpg

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Yes the remote sensor automatically reverts the high beam from flashing to steady beam when the sun goes down. It's small and mounts any where.

There are some folks that will say a flashing light could be perceived by the cager as a signal to “go ahead and turn” however I do not agree with this as the continuous flashing looks more like an emergency vehicle coming at you; but to each their own.

And……while coming up on old folks while riding the canyons…….most of the time you can see them look in their mirror….not sure what you are….and they then just pull over & out of the way.

Numerous times I will see a car about to pull out onto the road in front of me, and then stop when they see that flashing high beam. I always anticipate a car pulling out, but once they see you (it’s obvious) all is well.

b117d525.jpg
As mentioned, I am considering adding this feature to my bike. Thanks for the further explanation. The other good thing is...the modulator can be turned off simply by enlisting the low beam...what many ride with anyway.

A point of clarification with respect to the strobing light. I just want to say I agree with you about the strobing effect. It does tend to paralyze cagers versus the pull out instinct...as many of them misjudge our speed because of our size which can be a real problem for us. Earlier point pertained to an intermittent flicking of the light. This is a very different dynamic than a constant strobing IMHO which can't be misinterpreted. Going from a steady light to flicking the light could be construed as right of way but I agree with you that a constant strobe light will never promote right of way...the opposite.
I need to add one of these and thanks for sharing your experience. Having seen bikes with this feature on the road, they do command attention and believe they are very effective.

Last edited:

Arkwright

Two Stroke
It would be interesting to know if a constant strobing light would actually be legal here in the UK.

We usually associate constant flashing headlights with emergency vehicles and often they are more visible in your rear view mirror than the blue flashing lights that accompany them.

Think I might make some enquiries with the local constabulary and see what they have to say.

I have certainly never seen a modulating light on any vehicle here in the UK other than on emergency vehicles and I've been driving for 30 years.

I'll keep you posted.

Pete R

Banned
Just an aside to what was speaking about before - while out riding today (hoping to get the bike home despite it's crazy cutting out tricks) I took good note of what I did with the flash button. I flashed the driver once to get their attention (eye contact) then held the flasher on until I was passed them. I understand that others may be concerned about this practice and the possibility of confusion/terrible consequences - but it does work for me.

I'm really interested in the headlight modulation systems. However like Arkwright has mentioned there may be issues with design rules. Last time I looked at the rule book (edit - down here) the only light that was allowed to modulate was an amber coloured indicator. Brake lights are not allowed to modulate - I didn't pass rego once because the brake light pulsed in unison with the indicators.

Anything that helps save lives and prevents injury is a wonderful thing :up:

hankmarx

750cc
The waiting car to turn left is one of my biggest fears. I will sit up a little taller and swerve right and left once or twice to catch their attention.

Get well soon, FrankieD!

tino72

moped
Man, i just read about your wreck sorry to hear that! I too had a bad accident and my 09 thruxton was totalled back in March..i got tboned on my left side by a car trying to turn left in the oncoming lane at a major intersection..the car nailed me and sent me sailing over the hood..I suffered a broken Femur, Hip and tore all the ligaments in my left knee. im full of nails and titanium.Im still rehabbing after 3 separate surg 6 months later..Not sure when i will be 100% to ride again and i know my knee will never be 100% again..Allstate really took care of me too like Progressive did you i got bike payoff and 1500 for all my clothes and pipes etc..person had garbage ins the bodily injury part is gonna be a long process..Speedy recovery to you man!

Regarding headlight modulators, I'm all for them but choose carefully. I ordered a couple for me & my mate and they lasted all of between 2 & 4 months before packing up. I'm not into bashing companies, but I would say if you Google "headlight modulator" and after reading the blurb, avoid the number 1 result and go for number 2. No personal experience but a mate who installed one on his 1200GS 3 years ago, still has it running.

BTW, I also used a "daylight" bulb which burns with a blueish light and helps make it stand out but maybe not so good at night unless it's pitch black. http://www.newbonneville.com/html/xenon_headlights.html.

Cheers,

Pikey.