I got worked at an intersection **2 Graphic Pics**

MKNG TRX

Scooter
#*^@%=&":\,$ WTF?!?!.... Frankie, buddy I'm glad your overall OK considering. Sorry to hear what happened to you. The bike is replaceable you're not. Could had been worse. So what happened to the Lancer's driver? Hang in there and I hope you make a complete and speedy enough recovery. Prayers to you.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Frankie -you look like the bravest sombitch in the world with those wounds. That picture of you smiling holding up your torn right arm will haunt me for quite a while. Jesus! Imagine if you hadn't slowed for that car! You changed my thinking about gear and short rides. I'll bet you changed a lot of minds with those pictures. Please update this again when you are recovered.

Pete R

Banned
Well done Frankie. The conscious effort you speak of to get over the trunk is - I dunno - commendable, bravery under fire, something like that! Without that presence of mind I know that you would be in much worse shape. Some decades ago I had a tintop turn in front of me and I purposely hit her in the guard, not the doors...f@#k that...

The body will heal. Watch the meds (seductive f@#kers ;) ) and hang in there mate. There's a Trumpy with your name on it out there.

:up:

FrankieD

Scooter
Wow, thank you all for the kind words of encouragement. I wanted to post this as a little reminder to all of us riders that no matter how many miles you've ridden, how many hours you've logged, how much respect you have for the bikes ignorant drivers are always out there.

As some people have asked, the driver is insured and was ticketed at the scene for failure to yield and it is clear on the accident report that he was at fault.

I will say that progressive motorcycle insurance stepped up and took care of the bike for me and paid me for the CRGs, Predators, my helmet, gloves, and jacket. Make sure you have receipts for all your stuff.

As of right now, I'm still doing physical therapy (its been 10 weeks since the accident) and recovery is going well. I'm pretty sure 100% is not likely do to some nerve damage in the wrist. Motion is getting better, but movement in my pinky finger is quite reliant on my ring finger. Now this may not seem like the biggest deal, it but becomes quite apparent with every strike of the ENTER & SHIFT keys on a keyboard.

I'm putting off surgery to mend the ACL for now. I've had my share of Dr visits and time off from work. I just can't do it now.

As for the me and riding...i am on a long hiatus. I have an awful lot of good in my life and the risk isn't worth it for now. Like Cougar turning in his wings, I've lost the edge. Hell, I've even been a little gun shy in the car. Just paranoid, but I won't let it get the best of me.

strokerlmt

You do what is best for you but I hope you don't give up riding. You have had your "one asshole driver" so the road is clear ahead of you.
"press on"
LMT

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Frankie,

May you have a full and speedy recovery. As far as riding goes, do it, don't do it, but just do what makes you happy. Sometimes getting back out there will help you get through some of the other stuff, but if not it's all good brother you're still here to tell your story to others so we can try and avoid the same fate.

Cheers,

RR

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Shitty to see and hear about, stick with the physical therapy it'll get you there, just takes time. Glad you've got your wits about ya and it will keep you a bit apprehensive for a while. Take the time youve got to get back to riding and get back to 100%! keep us posted!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Frank,
Good trading PM's with you. I was in a bad sports car accident when I was 18 and it took me a year to recover psychologically about driving and even riding in a car...especially small cars so I can relate to the mental trauma. Probably good to take a break. After you recover fully, you may get the itch for a new steed at some point which I guess you will. May take a while though.
Don't want to turn this into a safety thread but I am reminded I need to get better gloves and pants for riding and would like to hear some suggestions if others have recently upgraded.
Two things I will say that I do:
- I always downshift and slow WAY down through intersections to hopefully survive what Frank just went through. I figure survival rate correlates directly to speed but biggest reason is lengthen reaction time for inattentive dumbass cagers.
- Second thing is I ride with a white full face helmet that is like having a second light on my bike. To me any fashion downside is well worth the increase in visibility.
All the best Frank and fellow bonnie owners...
PS: Also upgrading headlight power and aim toward the high side is never a bad strategy.

Last edited:

T-boy

Rocker
Frankie...your accident is one I think all of us fear will happen eventually. Those pics speak volumes of the damage other drivers can do when they aren't paying attention. Glad you're "okay" and hope you heal up soon.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Wow! That just freaks the crap out of me. I wish we could pull those people off the road for good. Best of luck to you in your recovery Frankie...

whyme

TT Racer
Wow..hope you feel better!...

When you are ready to ride again try a white helmet-I saw a video with a black helmet versus a white helmet...MAJOR difference in visability.

Frankie - hell of a smack and hell of a recovery. Big respect to you for keeping positive and soldiering through the pain.

BUT, and this is a biggie, keep up with the physio - yeah, you are fucked off with it but there's a recent thread here where all us old bastards are moaning about not taking care of our bodies more when we were younger. So, a bit of physio may grate now, but it'll be worth it in the long run. Do it!

Cheers,

Pikey

rdt303

Scooter
Guardian Angels

Dude! You've got some guardian angels and they were working overtime. So glad you are here to tell the tale. Thanks for reminder us how quickly it can all change! :pd:

jphickory

Banned
Wishing you the best and a full recovery. Your post may ultimately save one of us from having a similar accident. My sincere thanks.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
According to “statistics” ………… The oncoming car making a left hand turn in front of you is the number one cause of motorcycle accidents…….they just don’t see the motorcycle.

In the future you might invest in a brighter headlight bulb and headlight modulator.

I use a Sylvania Bright Star bulb and Comagination modulator.

http://www.comagination.com/

Having used this brand for years and installed on all of my bikes, a cheap effective way to be seen, and easy to install.

That flashing headlight does get their attention.