I didit Again!!

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Went to a car dealer to jam on guitar (not busy)! CAme in & put the bike on a down hill grade. Put the stand down & it inched fwd a bit. The rest you can imagine! Hopped off & down she went!! Picked her up & had a bent clutch, slight bent shifter, & a small scratch on the lft pipe. Took a pipe & bent back the clutch, gave a little pull to the shifter & it looks as normal. Took it back to the shop & re-adjusted the clutch- all ok. Took a test ride & all is well!!
Man you feel so stupid when something like that happens_ especially in front of people!! Minimal damage to the Bonne. Also a small ding in the side case- not noticable tho. Gotta love these 04 & before clutch handles!! Can actually bend them like in the old days!! The new ones have break points!! Got away OK so far I think?? Will let ya know?

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Down

Not quite Uraninum! It fell on top of me! I was trapped under till some lot customers came & pulled it up. I am sitting here now & feeling PAIN in lft shoulder from trying to push it up! I am sure I will be hurtin tommorrow!!
2nd time that happenned. I put a 140 on the rear & you dont feel the stand
like w/ the stock tire. w/ stocker- it would drag hard creeping fwd. With the bigger tire, you dont notice it as much! I shoulda (as mentioned by a friend & I think the MSF) left it in 1st & shut it down- then all woulda been OK? O well - live & learn? Still gotta love those OLD clutch/ brake levers!! Can bend them back!! The new ones have "safety" break points (2 I think?) No safety- just a way tto get ya to spend uh $80/ ea?? My old scramblin days- we used to bend levers all the time. Just took the pipe & srtaitened them out. Progress I guess? Im just glad I wasnt a part of progress on this one!!

L Train

Scooter
That Sucks

Sorry to hear that Capt. Hopefully the pain goes away quickly. Glad to hear you and the bike is not badly hurt. At least you can say you did it and not have the feeling of your bike down by someone else.

Cheers!

RonD

Scooter
most bikes are dropped in situations like that Capt, so dont feel to bad we all have done it or most have, I always in situations like that rock the bike foreward in low gear and then put the sidestand down and it cant move can it.

derby boy

Two Stroke
Captdon,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Never happened to the Bonnie, but I attached a picture of my 89 Goldwing (The Titanic) on a day the wind was gusting 45mph and I left it in nuetral. The fairing and Tulsa windshield acted like a spinaker on a sloop. We picked it up with my truck and tow straps.

Attachments

• 100_0631.jpg
    100_0631.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Down

Bummer Derby!!! Being an old salt/ sailor I can see that happenning. Ya think a 900 lb bike would hold on better than that? I am still hurtin a bit. Will go to the garage tomorrow & do the "clean-up" on the scratches.Some day I will have to tell ya all about garage mate HD Nightrain getting $$ outa cash mchine while running on the side stand. MUCH worse than my exp!!

Don't sweat it Cappy. There are two kinds of us.Those who have dropped it,and those who will drop it.

Sucks about the scratches and shit though.We talked before about the old levers and the way you could bend them back.I wonder if you'll be able to bend yours back,since it didn't break?

I did it in my own garage not long ago, had to get the neighborhood teenagers playing basketball in the alley to pull it off me. It was not one of my more memorable moments. :stupid:

Hedge

American Infidel
Don't sweat it Cappy. There are two kinds of us.Those who have dropped it,and those who will drop it.
. . . and those that don't drop it but forget that they accidental hit the kill switch and can't figure out why their bike won't start! :D

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Switch

:beer::beer::beer:Yeah the bike was running on me! I had to hit the kill switch. The oil lite came on! Checked it out today. MINIMAL signs of a drop! 2 very litle scratches. Man I am GLAD I got the old style levers!! Bent the clutch back to better than it was! Shifting better than it ever has! These "New break-a-way"
levers really suck!! Supposed to be a safety feature? BS!! Just do it so you gotta spend $89 I think for a newone. I wasnt sure I would be able to straiten the lever w/o breakin it? You can! The clutch lever was bent as bad as a pretzel!! Didnt have to even heat it up! Heres 1 for OLD tech!

Captain,

Sounds like you got off easy. A few scratches give the old gal some character I say... but I kind of need to say that don't I?

You're story reminds me of a close call I had a couple weeks back. I left the gal idling on the side stand while on a slight incline. When I hopped off all was well but a few steps away, I saw the bike start sliding backwards down the hill. Thank God the front tire bumped up against the kerb to stop the backward motion or she would have rolled backward into the street and possible fallen over since the sidestand would have been on the downhill side.

My heart was beating fast there for a while when I saw her start sliding backwards.

Alls well that ends well tho.

P

PieMan

Two Stroke
These "New break-a-way"
levers really suck!! Supposed to be a safety feature? BS!!

If the lever hits at an awkward angle, it can break your switchgear where the lever mounts, the break-a-way levers would save that expense. Also if you come off or drop the bike 50 miles from home, the break-a-ways should leave you with a working clutch lever, OK it will be a bit short, but you'll be able to get home and use your clutch.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Break a ways

Yeah I suppose it could save the whole assembly in the right situation> My lever looked like a pretzel but could shift till i git to the garage & bend it back! Didnt get it quite like new- but it shifts BETTER than it ever did!! The bike has looked mint since new, & now it does have a little character to it!
The new battery made a whole lot of difference!!