I could have been killed

KingBear

Hooligan
Glad you came out of it unhurt, Thruxie! Truth of the matter is there's no way of winning the road rage battle with you on a bike and him in his car. You might as well have had a knife to fight against his gun.

Let's be careful out there.

curezee

Street Tracker
Thruxie do you happen to have a pic of the front end setup? I would like to see how the bikes sits compared to stock. Thx.

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
Thruxie, I don't understand what caused the tank slappers - just started randomly at a certain speed, or in turns, braking? What front suspension do you have?

My bike is not set up to ride like that. The front is lowered a lot. No telling maybe Bonafide is right. I do sit far foward cus I'm little. I was having control trouble the bike was telling me it would slap if I went faster. I was driving in a straight line. Everytime I hit 80mph+ it shakes, if I go faster it always tank slaps. The jump was alright because I was laughing and yelling "I PIMPED THAT"! I WOOED too. I hate that the Jerk saw me tank slapping. I didn't want to give him any pleasure. I was tucked low and slid back, I might have been holding the grips real tight. I'd imagine but don't remember if my arms were relaxed. I was telling myself be cool, fear didn't set in until he side swipped at me. When I got stopped I melted like butter.

I tell myself I ride invisible and think everyone is out to get me. I'm a better car driver from riding bikes. I think I will be an outstanding Ambulance driver in a few months when I get out of EMT class. When I go for an interview I might mention that I have a motorcycle license and have trained my brain to look for all windows of opportunity for vehicles pulling out in front of me.

Last edited:

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
Thruxie do you happen to have a pic of the front end setup? I would like to see how the bikes sits compared to stock. Thx.

Side by side with a stock Thruxton my headlight is almost three inches lower. I don't have any pics. My seat is shaved down with a hard gel pad stuffed between the foam. I can take a pic of it next to a T-100.
I have stock height rear shocks. Look in my album and notice the frame dive forward. Ignore the frozen waterfall pic I had bonnie shocks on. Look at the pics with the black hagon shocks and the clip-ons over the top.

Only pic showing the clip ons over the top.
DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0258.jpg
Notice my tank is lower than a Stock T-100.

Last edited:

BillTheCat

Scooter
YES! A lot! I have the clip-ons mounted over the top yoke, and spacers. My tires are cupped and were cold too. Not to mention it was windy.

Here is mine like you I have put the clipons on top of the tree. (Spacers) are you talking a bought headlight bracket spacers? This guy sounds like a real Bozo that needs to be taken out of the gene pool for fowl play.:chin:

28769712sb4.jpg

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
You have never had a civic with tinted windows and loud exhaust pointed at you then. Or any car with an idiot behind the wheel for that matter.
:confused:

No he didn't have the loud fart sounding exhaust. I couldn't hear his car and I have quite pipes. His windows were not tinted, I know what he looks like. I don't see many hatchbacks and his car was different.

Moral of the story, don't flip people off, don't run, don't off set the handling on your bike. And buy a steering dampner.

DandyDoug

750cc
Thrixie girl;

Glad that situation din not turn out worse that it was.

Tank slappers; well there is no easy answer as to what can cause them. Ask any one who has done any road racing and we all have stories we can tell about what we think caused them and what we did to fix it. In the end I think every situation is different, but when you said your tires are cupped that gives you a clear indicator where to start to find a fix.
Any time you change one setting on the suspension it affects other parts of the chassis dynamics eg: lowering the front end by moving the tubes up in the tripple tree causes a change in the rake of the front end from the axle to the steering head.
Moving the bars up or down in position only changes the riders position and will have some effect on the weight distribution over the front and make the back end think it is lighter. This may cause some chassis wierdness but it is usually a minor annoyance.
If you in fact do have head shake at high speed in a straight line you may be just hanging on too tight and not letting the chassis do it's normal thing, or tire pressures could be off a pound or two, then you combine the wear on the rear wheel and tire and shocks. I think you get the picture here. Usually a combination of small things.
Good luck sorting it out, if you make it back to Maggie Valley this spring I'm sure there will be someone there who can help with the set up.

curezee

Street Tracker
No he didn't have the loud fart sounding exhaust. I couldn't hear his car and I have quite pipes. His windows were not tinted, I know what he looks like. I don't see many hatchbacks and his car was different.

Maybe in your case, in which hopefully your look at the driver will help him receive the punishment he deserves.

Up here....that civic description is right on 93.643% of the time. ;)

T-boy

Rocker
T-girl...glad to hear you're okay...scenario certainly could have turned out much worse than it did.
P.S. Isn't this your second recent run in with a lunatic?

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
T-girl...glad to hear you're okay...scenario certainly could have turned out much worse than it did.
P.S. Isn't this your second recent run in with a lunatic?

This is my first problem ever riding. Nothing scary or out of control lately. I have been drama free besides my parents divorce pulling at me.