Humvee knocked me off my bike

JimmyR

Street Tracker
As you probably know, here in Australia we drive on the left. A few Saturdays ago I was driving in the right lane (middle lane) on a fairly major highway here, which is two lanes each way. Speed limit is 60kph - around 40mph. I had just overtaken a few cars when out of the blue I felt something very big hit me from the left. Next thing I'm rolling and tumbling down the highway, thinking "this isn't good..."

Well I was incredibly lucky. Even though it was a very busy road, I didn't hit any other vehicles. My helmet didn't hit the road. My beautiful Schott leather jacket saved me from road rash, although my left forearm swelled up like a small balloon and my right elbow is grazed from where it must have rubbed against the liner. I was wearing regualr jeans which are now toast, but they also saved my skin. My Doc Marten boats made sure my feet were unscathed.

Now, two weeks later I still have quite a lump on my left forearm, but it doesn't really hurt. My bike is almost all back together - Still waiting on a pair of Predator mufflers. Only one of my Southbay Dominator mufflers got wrecked, but the Preds were a little cheaper so that is what is going on. Over all the bike didn't fair too badly.

The but which shits me is that (and it took me ages to work out what had happened) a dick in a red Humvee had overtaken the car behind me and then changed lanes into me. How he didn't see me I will never know. As I was struggling to the side of the road wondering what the hell had happened the Humvee driver stopped in the middle of the road, came over to me and asked if I was ok. I said I think so, and he then just took off. He didn't even help me get the bike of the road.

A guy who was standing outside the local pub nearby having a smoke came across to help me with the bike. I just had enough wits about me to ask him to get rid of his cigarette because petrol was pouring out of the tank. Unfortunately he hadn't seen the collision, just me sliding along.

Not one witness stopped. Not one car other than the guy who hit me stopped. Even with my bike lying on the road some guy was abusing the Humvee driver for stopping in the middle of the road.

I know I am incredibly lucky. Unbelievably lucky. How I didn't end up in hospital I don't know. I should probably be dead. Even the stuff I was carrying in my shoulder bag was 100% fine, even though the bag isn't. But it still leaves me gobsmacked that not one driver stopped to help or bear witness. I know I should have got the details of the Humvee driver but was so confused at the time I was useless.

I am also lucky to have a wife who got my fantastic neighbour to come and get me. I got no lecture about bike riding from her. She just says she is happy I am ok. And my neighbour is a bloody legend. He rides, has a ute and a ramp and had my bike in his ute in no time.

So overall I am so lucky it's crazy, But I sure would like that asshole in the red Humvee to pay for all the parts I am replacing on my bike.

KingBear

Hooligan
I swear on my life, if I ever see anything like that I'm going to chase the motherfucker down and drag him back for a proper beating, to be followed by a trip to the hospital and then jail.

Glad you and your bike came though it no worse than you did. Cheers.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I swear on my life, if I ever see anything like that I'm going to chase the motherfucker down and drag him back for a proper beating, to be followed by a trip to the hospital and then jail.

Glad you and your bike came though it no worse than you did.

+1. You indeed have a great wife...mine would have been wanting me to give up riding. Heal quickly.

--Rich

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
I'm glad to know you are fine, and you will be riding again.
It is sad, that no one stopped to help, you could have had serious injuries.
Accidents happen all the time, but the guy that hitted your bike, had no intention of take the responsability for the accident he caused. I hope that you take the plate numbers, or that there is traffic cameras there, that can identify that driver, and you can charge him for the repairs, and no one has mentioned it before, but, you have to see a doctor, even if you think you didn't have serious injuries, let the expert confirm that.
Trust me on that.

Nail that motherf-----

I hope to know you are riding again soon.

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
Bastard!

Do they have traffic cameras anywhere nearby the accident scene? Businesses have security cameras, perhaps you might find something recorded.

Its good that you came through relatively unscathed

Skeeter

Rocker
whooa. that angers me. i can only imagine how you feel. good luck and happy to hear youre alright

JimmyR

Street Tracker
You have a point, Normandy.

Thanks for the wishes guys! I am healing up nicely, and almost all my scabs are gone. :)

I ordered some parts from World of Triumph in the UK - peg clevis, alternator cover and gasket - cheaper than here and they were here in exactly one week. I also ordered some mirrors and a brake lever from Oberon in the UK - also exactly one week. My exhaust, however, is still on the way, and it was ordered from a place in Australia. Typical!

monty

Street Tracker
Jimmy, glad you are ok fella.

Fucking wanker of a driver deserves a severe buggering with a large blunt instrument....... dry, of course............

Kind regards,

Monty.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
What I find strange is that I don't feel particularly angry about all of this. I don't quite understand why - if it had been one of you blokes I would be very angry. But maybe it's because I didn't know what was happening? I don't know. The whole thing was a mystery to me - I only know it was a red Humvee because he stopped (briefly) and told me that I hit him! Obviously I am pissed off, and obviously he is scum. But I am totally surprised at my own reaction to all of this.

After staying very noticeable since the off, the lump on my left forearm is finally starting to go down. I got up this morning to find it significantly reduced in size. I am so lucky.

squidsix

Scooter
When I got his (and my Bonnie totalled) back in February, the first thing I did was get and remove my helmet with the intention of caving the guy's head in with it. Luckily (for him, and me as it was all on video) my leg was mashed so badly I couldn't stand, and sat on the pavement till the ambulance came. I was FURIOUS and still am. After his insurance policy took a beating (and my new Bonneville paid for) I took him to court for his negligence. NO SUCH THING as an "accident". Only "collision". In my line of work, you hit something, you are FIRED.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Oh man - how is your leg now? If I had my leg mashed I would be pretty unhappy too. I agree - no such thing as an "accident". I don't understand my reaction - it makes no sense. All I wanted was to be riding again. Maybe it's because I couldn't for the life of me work out what had happened - it honestly took me about a week to put it all together in my head.

Squidsix I am pissed off on your behalf! As I say, if this had happened to another of us I would be pissed. But to me? I'm just not.

I guess it helps that nothing hurts. Apart from my wallet. But today I got to ride with a decent looking bike again - the replacement tank I was have been using is a weird Triumph concoction in silver and back with lots of checkered striping. I have been hoping that nobody recognises me on it. But I got a tank back from powdercoat today and it looks awesome.

D9

Vendor
Jimmy... glad to hear you're ok... very very lucky indeed.
Squid... that sucks...hope the leg is healing fast as you can...

Good you're both still with us... my darkening perception is that things
really have changed out there in the last couple of years... levels of
distraction getting worse...

squidsix

Scooter
I'm healing. I had to stop working in my normal gig and sit in the office for a while as the healing process took its time.
The hard part is dealing with the Italian legal system, which is a crooked staircase of ugly shit. The video of my crash helped enormously, since of course he tried to claim it was my fault. So far he has bought my old bike loan and my new bike, and some of my new gear. Good enough, but I sure wanted to bloody his face! (the nature of a violent job I suppose)
I'm hoping you get your bike sorted out brother, and the only thing you think about when you ride is RIDING!

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I didn't know you were in Italy. Damn - that must complicate things!

It's bad enough these wankers knock us around - why do they then not take their fucking responsibility? I'm glad you're healing. I'm riding again now and have been lucky (again) that the weather while I couldn't ride was shit. As soon as my bike is ready the sun has come out. Right now here in Western Australia is perfect riding weather.

I still have a couple of things to do, but my bike is pretty much done.

squidsix

Scooter
Good for you bro. I was riding pretty much right away (about 10 days off) and bought a beater Honda Hornet to ride while I waited (and still wait) for delivery of my 2014 Bonneville. Italians are usually really good about bikers, because they all start out on 2 wheels at around 14 or so. This was one negligent asshole. His car was wrecked at the scene, and he tried to get away but my engine case had taken out his oil cooler and radiator and he only got about 300 feet. It was MOST AWESOME to watch the local cops stuff him in a police car.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Where in Italy are you? I have been to Italy quite a few times and generally love it. You Italians love your bikes! Here is Australia you either love bikes or apparently hate bikes and those who ride them. I have never understood this. Why hate someone because of the transport they use?? I can only think it's jealousy.

Good luck with your new Bonnie. They seem to be popular in Italy. I have bought many parts from Italy, and they are usually quality stuff.