How To: Adjust chain tension on 2012 Bonneville

Pauljp

Scooter
I made a quick video on how I adjust the chain tension on my 2012 Triumph Bonneville.
I thought this would help people who have questions on this matter.
Please let me know what you think.
Paul

Click Here To See It.

bonZa

Street Tracker
good video.

but missed a very important point. after adjustment and once axle is tightened make sure the adjusters are turned counter clockwise to nip them up in order take up the end play. other wise the chain will soon slacken and is probably the reason why some people are constantly adjusting chains.

like the alignment tool BTW, will have to make one myself rather than trying to align using tape measures

Pauljp

Scooter
Thanks for the very important point BonZa.
Of course I do tighten the adjusters afterwards but forgot to mention it.
I added an annotation to the video reminding people of this.
Good catch!!

I wonder why Triumph designed the adjusters to turn in the direction that they do. Its counter intuitive. I'd think it would be set up to turn clockwise to draw the axle back to tighten the chain. My old Yamahas all worked that way.

Pauljp

Scooter
I wonder why Triumph designed the adjusters to turn in the direction that they do. Its counter intuitive. I'd think it would be set up to turn clockwise to draw the axle back to tighten the chain. My old Yamahas all worked that way.

It's a British bike, I think it is because of all those years of driving on the left... :)

Last edited:

bonZa

Street Tracker

dunno, but it has caught me out a couple of times.

a late edit, but just checked and the adjusting screws are right hand threads, so they probably are this way as RH threads are easier to produce than LH threads
I suppose if they really wanted to confuse they could have applied old fashioned British logic and have a LH thread adjuster on the left side and a RH threaded adjuster on the right side :lol2:

Last edited:
Deja vu? I think I saw this at the Big Brother forum that is sin to speak about on here.

I really loved your explanation about adjusting wheel alignment by using the adjuster opposite of the chain. Never knew about that.

One thing you didn't mention was that if you have to loosen tension on the chain, you have to push/kick in the wheel, then adjust by tightening, which pulls the wheel back. In other words, you can only adjust to tighter; adjust to looser requires making it too loose then adjusting by making it tighter.

At least that's what I've worked out doing mine on the center stand. I also clamp the similar Motion Pro alignment gadget on the bottom of the sprocket so I don't have to remove the chain guard. It's a bit awkward to sight along it that way, but it works.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Great video Paul, and nice bike.
I have a question: How often (in miles) is wise to check for chain adjustment?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The Triumph OEM manual states the chain should have between 25-35mm of free play. I think your riding conditions, how you ride and weather/road conditions has a big factor of chain ware. What works for me is that I normally give just an eyeball during the week for my chain (I use my bike for work commute) and will actually do a proper check on the weekend when I head somewhere. You do this enough and you will develop that 25-35mm of play in your hand without even thinking about it.

I recently added a scottoiler to my bike and I am VERY happy with that. You have to be mindful of the drip rate especially if you live in a seasonal area because the temperature will affect your drip rate but it really does work. I can tell that the oiler system will definitely pay for itself in time. Hope it doesn't sound like a sales pitch but it really is a kick ass product.

I thought the benefit of modern O-Ring or X-Ring chains is that they are sealed and don't require the lubrication like back in the day. I have not had a chain in over 20 years thanks to Moto Guzzi and BMW. How much oiling is needed?

Roger

Street Tracker
I don't think you can get away from oiling the chain at all. My <guess> is you need to clear the debris and dust from inbetween the links by using oil. The oil will float the dirt to the outside of the chain where it will sling off. An appropriate oil will also make the O-rings last longer. Here is the wiki article on O-ring type chains. Short article but worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring_chain

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I used to use the Motul which was pretty good but expensive plus the wax in it only served as a fly trap for the road grub and would pick that shit up and run the sprocket. I switched over to a Scottoiler and could be happier. Just straight oil and I've noticed the condition of my chains are a hell of a lot better too. The one thing I have noticed though is that you have to pay attention to the drip amount in relation to the temperature. For example, set in the spring when it is cool out then the drip rate is really going to increase when it warms up and you are in summer.

drlapo

Hooligan
I don't think you can get away from oiling the chain at all. My <guess> is you need to clear the debris and dust from inbetween the links by using oil. The oil will float the dirt to the outside of the chain where it will sling off. An appropriate oil will also make the O-rings last longer. Here is the wiki article on O-ring type chains. Short article but worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring_chain

I remember Whitney Chain in Hartford, the inventor of O ring chains
it was a big deal back then.
they would not sell them to us for use on motorcycles (not an approved application) so we had to tell them the chains would be used on production machinery