How often do you wash your bike?

I bought my bike in August 2008. Got a little over 4000 miles. Just washed it for the first time today. Is that bad? But...I don't ride in any adverse weather. Well, I think about 3 times but not pouring rain. But other than that, bike hasn't been really nasty. Did keep an eye on the chain tho, and cleaned and lubed around 2000.

Guess I just like riding over cleaning.

So, how often do you clean your bike?

ricky

Street Tracker
Thanks for reminding me.
I knew I forgot to do something.

Maybe later... :chair:

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
Hardly ever, it seems that I have some kind of stupid super-power, that every time I touch my bike with the intent to wipe something off= it rains. No shit, it pisses people off when I do that at work.
Two years ago I did a complete detail on my XS11 so I could ride it to a rally in West Virginia= it rained on me the whole way.
So I quit cleaning my bikes.

REVOLT

Street Tracker
about two weeks ago...last time was December 13th...I know because it snowed like crazy two days later...

zmilin

Street Tracker
When the bugs start to stack up...two layers are harder to get off than one.

I do a full detail once or twice a year depending on how I feel.

DandyDoug

750cc
I do a clean up usually after every ride just to get the bugs and crap off. Sort of like caring for your horse before yourself.
If I am bored I can spend a load of time in the garage just cleaning and dreaming. At least one time per year I do a complete clean up, including a wax job.

I don't wash it. I clean various parts when they get dirty or when I'm working on it anyway. For example, yesterday I used a defective fuel pump--it sticks on--and sloshed gasoline all over it and myself, so it got about an hour of wiping down and cleaning when I got home. (That's the second time, I'll remember to avoid that pump in the future.)

Overall, it's clean enough. Good "cleaning weather" is also good "riding weather".

Nick Morey

Rocker
I washed her once... but, she got dirty again. :(

Seriously though, I do try to keep her clean and a thorough cleaning every couple of months. Dirt holds moisture and can speed up rust and corrosion.

ricky

Street Tracker
I finally had someone want to take a look at my bike. (selling it)
I told the guy on the phone that I haven't washed it yet. He said, "that's alright, I know what dirt looks like."

He shows up and says, "This is dirty?"

Made my day. :up:

oldmanjob

Scooter
I leave it out when it rains then bring it in and wipe it down. Saves using the well:headbang2: (don't have city water :cheers:)

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I wash mine when it gets dirty, only a dry washing then good wax and wd40 though. never clean the damn spokes just the rims