How much gas till reserve?

fender

Street Tracker
Get used to using the odometer and resetting it at each fill-up. I never liked relying on lights to tell me when to do something. Maybe I'm old school but it's a pretty good indicator of how much gas is left.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Get used to using the odometer and resetting it at each fill-up. I never liked relying on lights to tell me when to do something. Maybe I'm old school but it's a pretty good indicator of how much gas is left.

+1...the numbers never lie! Your odometer is the best gas gauge you could ever have and is the simplest one to use and most reliable. I've been doing this longer than I care to remember

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Yep - simplest and most reliable method.
:)

Extremely reliable.

Until your odo reset knob breaks off in an unrepairable way. Ask me how I know.

So now, I have a random number of miles on the trip odo, and when it sputters into reserve... I go get gas.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
LOL. Newfangled bikes. Low fuel indicator is your bike on the side of the road and you walking to the nearest town.

!!!
Heading to the gas station ASAP, I have run 97 miles since the last (and first) fuel up, and was waiting for the low fuel indicator.

Thanks for the advises. I'll check the odometer from now on.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You actually have a low fuel indicator? On the carb'ed bikes, you hit reserve anywhere between 105-125 miles (or up to 150 if some of these blokes are to be beleived, but I'm not buying it), then you've got another 25-40 miles before you walk. If your trip odo works, use it, and just look for gas every 110 miles or so.

If you want to complain about the range... get a Vespa. :)

Blue-J

moped
solution to broken reset button

Extremely reliable.

Until your odo reset knob breaks off in an unrepairable way. Ask me how I know.

So now, I have a random number of miles on the trip odo, and when it sputters into reserve... I go get gas.

Hello,

This is a different Blue-J from Canada. I have a solution to broken trip metres:

I have a scooter in addtion to my motorbikes, and it has no trip odometre, so I keep a tiny 3-digit combination lock (luggage zipper lock) around one of my cables that I set to the last 3 numbers of my odometre every time I gas up!

The trick is remembering which side has the numbers you want.

J