how many miles is too many when buying a used 2012 Bonnie SE?

newguy

moped
Found a used 2012 Bonneville SE at a dealer with 29k miles. I realize miles matter less than the condition of the bike. Still, I'd like to know your opinion(s) on what to look out for buying used...specifically with 2012 Bonnie SE, if appropriate.

And if 29k miles is not too much, what should I reasonably expect to replace, fix, have serviced in the next, say, 5-10k miles?
I do expect to park it on the street, outdoors, unfortunately.

I'm new to this forum and to posting in general, so please let me know if this isn't the right place to post. Thanks!

PeeGee

moped
Hello Newguy,
I own a 2012 myself and I do have already 34 000 miles on it. It feels like I can do 34 000 miles more with no problem besides the regular maintenance. Especially the oil change on regular basis.
I changed the secondary transmission at 25 000miles and I shortened it by one tooth on the rear sprocket from the original ratio.
I also at the same time had the shims check and one of those had to be adjusted/ changed.
The bike is really cheap on maintenance and the engine is really sturdy.

Cheers

newguy

moped
PeeGee, thanks for the response. Wow, that's it?

I'm just curious, as I've never owned any bike with more than 10 or 15K mi. Did you put all 34K miles on it?
And if so, did you not have to change brake pads, brake or clutch lines at some point?
I'll assume, of course, you had tires & the battery changed many times.

PeeGee

moped
Hello Newguy,

I am the original owner, so yes I did the 34K myself.
I changed the front disc after 3k because of my weight and also the OEM disc is not that good. I put a EBC floating disc and EBC pads front and back. I am still with those and believe I can do 10k more with those.
The twin as a very strong engine break and if you ride with some anticipation , you barely touch the brake. it is also my way to ride on twisties...
I also changed the shocks because of my weight and I have Hagon,
The saddle is a Corbin, much better for the long haul .
For the tires I also change the original mount from 130 wide to 150 wide . I like Michelin.... I also do more than 9k with the Michelin instead of barely 5k with the Metzeler in 130 wide.

Other than that like I said nothing much to do with the bike.... It is like a Clydesdale....

Clutch is original same for the cables.
I plan to change them this Spring for the piece of mind.

Cheers

newguy

moped
Awesome. Thanks for the info. If I spring for this bike, I hope I get similar results. Although, it started snowing where Iive, so I might wait a bit before I go to test ride it. I'm pretty sure it won't sell any time soon. (Could be my famous last words...)