How Long Have You Been Riding...

Dirt: Started when I was 7 on an 80cc Gemini.
Road: 22 years total. Started when I was 18. but legally... 7 months.

Last edited:

Ben Quick

Street Tracker
About 46 years if you can count a Honda 50 super sport to get started on. Have had several UJMs. Still have a 78 Kaw 750. The 06 Bonnie is my first Triumph, and had wanted a Bonnie since the early 60s!:cheer:

Shiner

Scooter
41 years and somewhere between 50-55 bikes later. Remember the little honda Mini-Trail 50cc with the fold down handlebars? That was number 1.

ssjones

750cc
In '77, when I was 16, I got my drivers license on my birthday in August and my bike license a week later. I had a Bultaco 250 enduro bike as my first street bike. So, 32 years.

I could ride pretty well off-road and practiced the license test endlessly on our housing development street, which had little traffic. In fact, I laid out the whole course on our street using chalk. So, I show up for the test and the instructor tells me to pull the bike over to the starting point and "wait for instruction. I knew exactly what to do, so after coming to a complete stop, I did the course. At the end, the instructor told me I had completed it perfectly but I didn't listen too well. He said come back in a week for a retest. I remember being pretty bummed and my father was really pissed. He went over to the instructor and gave him a hard time, but he guy wouldn't budge. I went back a week later and passed.

I rode a street bike up until '84 when my daughter was born and my bike was sold to add cash to a down payment on our home. I didn't have a bike until 2004, when I bought my America. During that time, I lived in PA and WVA, than back to Maryland. Once I committed to buying the bike (used, off Ebay), I went over to the DMV to inquire about how to get my bike certification back. The guy asked to see my license, laughed and handed it back to me. He said, "you already have a motorcycle license". It seems when I got my Maryland license back, they just reinstated it with my motorcycle certification. I figured that was good Karma and have put 34k on my America since that point.