How hard is it to....

MKNG TRX

Scooter
How hard is it to replace the clutch lever on an '09 T-100? Due to my recent driveway tipping accident, the lever was bent back into place. I have small hands and even at the lowest setting now sits too far for me. Don't want to attempt any more bending of the lever and compromise it's integrity anymore. While I'm no mechanical whiz I'm no idiot either, just want to see what I'm getting myself into before attempting this myself or I may leave it to a professional to do. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Motley

750cc
It's not difficult at all. You need to make some slack in the cable, unbolt the lever, bolt on the new lever, reset the cable tension and yer done. Fifteen minute job, tops.

Grayscale

Scooter
Funny, that happened to me yesterday. Don't keep bending it as it will break eventually. The lever was about $15 at the dealer and he was able to put it on in about 15 minutes and get me back on the road. Not sure how easy it is to do yourself, but it doesn't look complicated.

whyme

TT Racer
I replaced mine. I just added some slack and took it off of the arm at the motor. That made it east to unbolt at the bars. I did a quick order over the phone and got the lever plus the position assembly. I was kind of pissed because i noticed that i probably could have just got the lever. So i took just lever and swapped that. It seemed a little loose. Took it apart again and replaced the whole assembly. Much better. There must have been a little bend to the assembly too that you could not see. Make sure yours is not bent where the lever connects too. All and all, very easy to replace.
Not sure I have it adjusted just right though. Where should it grab? Closer to the bar or farther out??

nigel

Scooter
If you can use this computor ,you can change a lever.
First off slacken the cable at the lower adjuster end down by the engine,then loosen the upper cable adjuster on the handlebar.
The lever is held on by a threaded pin,look under the lever and you will see a 10mm lock nut,undo this and then unscrew the pin, remove the lever, with the cable aligned in the slot of the adjuster disconect.
Refit new lever and adjust cable.
Check the nuts are tight enough.
Job done .
I'ts taken me longer to type this than to do the job.
As we say in England.... Seemples !
Nige

MKNG TRX

Scooter
I did a quick order over the phone and got the lever plus the position assembly. I was kind of pissed because i noticed that i probably could have just got the lever. So i took just lever and swapped that. It seemed a little loose. Took it apart again and replaced the whole assembly. Much better. There must have been a little bend to the assembly too that you could not see. Make sure yours is not bent where the lever connects too.

So when I order the lever am I also ordering this position assembly? What exactly is this piece? It sounds to me like I should also get it, my bike took a real bad hit upon falling. Thanks, let me know. Thanks to everyone for your great input. Cheers.

Uesque

Scooter
Not sure how easy it is to do yourself,

When I bought my Yamaha the little ball on the end of the brake lever was broken off from a garage tipover on the part of the previous owner. Knowing it to be an easy fix, I hopped on the bike and rode some great back roads to the Yamaha dealer to get a new one. Put it in my pocket and headed home. When I got there the lever was nowhere to be found, I must have lost it. I was too embarrassed to go back to the dealer so I ordered another online. The day after I put it on I was angry after a meeting at the kids' school and while pulling into a parking space at the Post Office was distracted and tipped the bike over breaking...wait for it...the little ball on the end of the brake lever. It stayed that way as long as I owned the bike. :stupid2:

whyme

TT Racer
Well...I ordered over the phone so I did not see a schematic first. I guess you would also call it the assembly the gives you the optional lever position?? Ask the dealer. But like i said, mine was torqued from the fall and bent a bit as well. But I could not see it.

Oh yeah. The quality of the new handle is not the same...really rough looking like it skipped a sanding level.

becket

Two Stroke
Anyone here who has not dropped a bike at one time or another, is a brand-spanking-new rider, trust me. Its worse when you do it after cultivating years of coolness, only to be dashed in an instant, by the errant slow speed stall while turning in a CROWDED ALWAYS parking lot. But if nobody sees you do it, you never did it, so it works out ok sometimes too, however rarely...

MKNG TRX

Scooter
Well...I ordered over the phone so I did not see a schematic first. I guess you would also call it the assembly the gives you the optional lever position?? Ask the dealer. But like i said, mine was torqued from the fall and bent a bit as well. But I could not see it.

Oh yeah. The quality of the new handle is not the same...really rough looking like it skipped a sanding level.

Where did you order from the dealer or from another source? Also, were you able to smooth out the finish? Thanks.

whyme

TT Racer
I ordered it from a dealer. I left it alone. It has a bunch of vertical milling lines on the inside surface-the one you see when you sit on the bike. It would need some serious sanding and then rubbing. I was just surprised in the difference from the original one. Maybe over the winter I'll take it inside and work it over.

whyme

TT Racer
I never even showed it to him- I just left and installed it myself....maybe I should. It's not that big of a deal-I don't know if it's worth taking it off.

whyme

TT Racer
Oh yeah..... I'll have a lot of time next week after I get my bicep tendon screwed on to my bone from when I dropped the bike. I'll be out of work for some time. good project.