How Comfortable is Your Stock Thrux?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Howdy all,

A question for you:

Shopping the salvage yards (sadly this time only online) as I like to do, I found a '04 Bonnie with some front end damage, (I was told mostly cosmetic, instrument cluster etc) and a '04 red taxi Thruxton for $4000, with less front end damage, (no idea what) which sounds like a good deal. So next week a buddy and I are going to look at the bikes and see what the deal is. Now, I know how a Bonnie rides, handles, feels, so my questions to you are:

How comfortable is your Thrux? Do you find to be leaned over, stressing arms/wrists? With a more aggressive sit, does it affect the handling? How is the seat height? Any thing else I might of forgot, feel free to point out.

Also, anything I should be looking for/at when considering a 'salvaged' ride?

Thanks.

Dawgone

Two Stroke
I like my Thrux real well... but in it's element!

At Speed going straight is ok.. in the twisty's it's perfect. Stop & Go Traffic just plain sucks!

It took me awhile to adjust to the clip-ons, but now after 25,000 miles I wouldn't change them.

Depending on how much damage there is to the front end, I'd wanna be sure the frame is straight. The good news is the frames are stout, so it'd take a real good whack to bend it.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I didnt like the stock position of the clip ons so I did the flip/swap. Bike sits and rides perfect for me now. It's my favorite bike in the garage to ride.

as for $4k for a wrecked 2004?!?!? Uh .. that a BIG no, that's not a good deal. That's right at bluebook (retail) for one in UNwrecked condition. My advice, keep looking.

Perfectly comfortable for me. Been 500 miles in one day with no problems.

If you don't have any core strength(torso/back) don't bother though. You don't use you arms to hold yourself up on this bike. If any thing I would prefer more weight on the front end.(maybe longer rear shocks w/ a steering stabilizer)

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I routinely spend 400 miles a day riding. Initially my only issue was the stock sear. I went doen to corbin and had a seat built to match my butt and no problem now.
I don't spend much time on freeways . i suspect that if the bike was used as a crusier, the seating position will get old.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
So I checked out the 2 used Triumph's yesterday.

The Bonnie has seen much, much better days. I will have to pass on that one.

The Thrux, red taxi, paint seemed good. Some road rash on right side, missing header pipes, dent in the t.d.c. of the gas tank. It was sandwiched bewteen 2 other bikes so it was hard to give it a proper look over. The neck paint looked uncracked, and normal. I have a bunch of home reno's to do in the next couple of weeks, in which time, after the finances are settled, I will go back and give a proper going over. Oh, fyi, it is a '04 with about 6000kms on the clock.

Should I be looking at any particular spots?

NewOldSchool

Two Stroke
Ham'r, sure sounds like with the amount it will cost to replace/fix damaged/missing parts you could have a perfect condition used bike. I would look real hard at the prices or replacement parts if you have not already. Those headers are about 650 only if you buy from the dealership. It took me about 2 months of lookin everyday at ebay for a used set for 200. I just think you will be paying alot more then you should... for that money get one that you can ride the next day.
Mondo

Texas94fs

Hooligan
comfortable at speed and in the twisties but in town stoplight after stoplight it wears a bit on the wrists and shoulders. It's almost a must to have a strong core to support yourself with if thats your main day to day area of riding. Even so after a 300 mile jaunt through the twisties will probably leave you a little sore the day after until you get used to it

drlapo

Hooligan
the tarrozzi clip ons can be obtained from Cosmopolitan Motors for around $125
they are lower than the helibars but higher than Tomesseli
you may have to telephone Cosmo as they aer not always on the website