Horn Relocation...

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
At some point I want to relo...well likely replace the horn on my T100. I am not interested in an air horn...yeah they are loud, but don't want to go there.

My goal is to remove the horn from the front of the bike and place it under the tank.
Maybe a horn with small trumpet would be louder and would fit under the tank with the trumpet pointing down.

Has anybody done this here and any recommendation for a loud plug and play horn that will fit under the tank?

Lastly, if you have done this, is your replacement horn noticably louder from under the tank versus the stock horn or does the tank seem to muffle some of the sound?
Thanks.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I just moved my stock horn from the front to under the tank on my Thrux, it took all of about 25 Minutes to do... I can't tell you for certain, but to me it actually seems louder with the horn under the tank. I'd love to get a louder plug and play horn as well but haven't been able to find out the DB level on the stock horns to find out if some of the ones out there are an improvement or not.

it's a pretty easy job to put the stock horn, or even a louder aftermarket horn under the tank. There are a few threaded holes under the tank where the AI used to be (if you've removed the AI). I ran a Fiamm horn under the tank for a long time.

Now, I run an Ear Cannon air horn mounted behind the sidecovers on the airbox removal kit/battery box. It's nice and loud and outta sight!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks Rum and Sweat. I wondered since under the tank is kind of like a chamber if the horn would actually be amplified or not...kind of like a port on a speaker. Sounds like this maybe so.

Could you take a look at the pic below of my T100 with the tank off. I have the AI removed since that picture and so there is room where the AI plumbing used to reside. Did you use the torx screw shown by the yellow arrow to mount the stock horn? Did you also use the stock horn bracket or have to make a new one?
Thanks.
PS: Sweat...did you mount a Fiamm disk horn under your tank? One option maybe to mount one hi and one low note Fiamm disk horn under the tank to thereby lose the stock beep horn sound. Stereo is good. :)
Link:
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_fiamm_horns/

Attachments

• Horn Relocation.jpg
    Horn Relocation.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

I moved the horn (bought one from NewBonneville) to under the battery box. The horn is still loud.....but you can't hear when you are riding cus its behind you. It was easy to strip teh wire back and plug in.
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks Lach. Think I am gonna go for under the tank location.
Believe the horn will bolt right up in the opening once occupied by the AI respirator valve. There are two threaded weld nuts on the frame and either could be used to secure the horn. Below for those interested.

Attachments

• Right Hand Side Horn Relo.jpg
    Right Hand Side Horn Relo.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
Chris, I used one of the threaded holes for the respirator valve with a simple bracket I made myself. The bracket was from 16ga steel, about 2" long x 3/4" wide.

I used a horn like this one:

horn.jpg

available here: http://www.newbonneville.com/html/upgraded_horn.html

but I bought mine at a local auto parts store.

Now I'm running this bad mofo under my battery box. It is VERY loud and can be heard when riding, at 70mph, at full throttle:

http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html

3837_1a.jpg

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Thanks Lach. Think I am gonna go for under the tank location.
Believe the horn will bolt right up in the opening once occupied by the AI respirator valve. There are two threaded weld nuts on the frame and either could be used to secure the horn. Below for those interested.

That's exactly where she'll go. Mine sits on the Left hand side of the frame, with a slight bend in the stock bracket. I actually had to do it twice, because I bent it too much originally and it was too tight. Again no time at all to do.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Chris, I used one of the threaded holes for the respirator valve with a simple bracket I made myself. The bracket was from 16ga steel, about 2" long x 3/4" wide.

I used a horn like this one:

horn.jpg

available here: http://www.newbonneville.com/html/upgraded_horn.html

but I bought mine at a local auto parts store.

Now I'm running this bad mofo under my battery box. It is VERY loud and can be heard when riding, at 70mph, at full throttle:

http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html

3837_1a.jpg

Sweet,

How was the "upgraded horn" vs. the stocker? Was it really any louder? I'd love to go with an aero if I can find a place to mount it out of site, but I want to put a tool carrier under by Battery so I'll have to see if I could eventually fit one in with that.

RR

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Sweat,
Do you recall if the horn you bought was the Fiamm Freeway Blaster?
Is so, I would like to try it and it looks like it may fit under the large section box
frame rail where the AI valve used to reside....presume positioning the trumpet down would be best.
Do you recall if that was the Fiamm model horn you had initially?

I had the Fiamm Road Blaster. It was ok. Not terribly louder than stock. The new big air horn is loud as shit though. Def worth the money and effort.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I had the Fiamm Road Blaster. It was ok. Not terribly louder than stock. The new big air horn is loud as shit though. Def worth the money and effort.

Did you reuse the stock wiring, or did you have to do a whole new pigtail for the horn from an amperage standpoint?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I can't find any reference of the Fiamm Road Blaster on the web past or present. Lots of reference to the Highway Blaster however. One concern with the Highway blaster is its dimensions. 8.00″ H x 4.00″ W x 5.00″ L which likely won't fit inside the frame under the tank where the AI valve used to reside.
Maybe Fiamm makes another horn that is louder than the stock horn but will fit under the tank.

See the link I posted above to newbomneville.com? That's the horn I mounted under my tank. I used the stock wiring. It was ok, not a great deal louder than stock. Not sure what the exact name of it is but I believe it was about 125-135 db.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
See the link I posted above to newbomneville.com? That's the horn I mounted under my tank. I used the stock wiring. It was ok, not a great deal louder than stock. Not sure what the exact name of it is but I believe it was about 125-135 db.

Sorry about that, I meant when you went to that Big Mama Jama... I'm sure you had to extend the harness, but did you go a complete seperate harnes?

strokerlmt

I think I tried under the T-100 tank area but I would have to take it off if I wanted to take the valve cover off. Or maybe it is the NH tank that screws it up. But for me under the battery box with the rectifier is cleaner.
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Yeah...I saw it..but its 24 bux for a $10 horn and NB sells it generically to make a profit which is good for them. I thought you may recall the name of it but no prob that you don't. Thanks for the info.

Chris, I got mine from a local Auto Parts store. I can't remember what it cost but it wasn't much. I don't think I'd get one again.

Sorry about that, I meant when you went to that Big Mama Jama... I'm sure you had to extend the harness, but did you go a complete seperate harnes?

With the current bigass horn I have, you must rewire. The stock wires can't push enough juice for the big horn. It's not bad though, the kit from Aerostich includes a relay and all the wire/connectors you'll need.

It's really simple, just wire the relay directly to the battery and horn, then run a wire from the 2 stock horn wires to the relay. It took me about 1/2 a day to install the horn though, because I had to pull the battery box which means removing the rear wheel, jacking the bike up, etc. In the end, I had an invisible horn that is loud as fuck!

Chris, I got mine from a local Auto Parts store. I can't remember what it cost but it wasn't much. I don't think I'd get one again.

FWIW, I bought the NB "Upgraded 125DB Horn". Bolted it on and pressed the button. 125DB? My arse! No louder than stock and ugly as sin if used as a direct replacement. Avoid.

Cheers,

Pikey.