Home made rearsets.

loxpump

Rocker
I have rearsets on my Bonnie mainly because it made me like my MBars even more. I like the slightly more forward position it gives me and helps out with wind turbulence and overall comfort. I have never ridden a Thruxton, but have sat on one and it has a considerably more forward position than my Bonnie with rearsets and MBars. I guess for me it's kind of a compromise. Modding these bikes are alot of fun too. What else is there to do when it's 10 deg and snowing.

anyone have pix of a thruxton with a bench seat? it looks good in my minds eye, but im curious to see pix.... if this is to irrelevant just ignore it haha i didnt think it was worth starting a new thread.

As i said sporty for me its the riding position that would make me mod a bonneville instead of getting a Thrux. But lets not deviate. Tell us about the kink modification.

KiwiRat

Scooter
All I did was cut the back out of the original bend until it was at the appropriate angle. Then I added 150 mm (or 6 inches ) of tubing to the end. I then TIG welded everything, cleaned it up with a nice fine grit sanding disc, then hand polished until I was satisfied with the finish. The exhaust is painted in high temp aluminium paint until the weather gets shitty enough for me to take it off the road for a couple of weeks to get them re-chromed.

If you were to pay an exhaust guy I don't think it would cost much at all.

Also, the mufflers now sit closer to the bike, narrowing the rear profile.

I can't believe how much better the bike looks. That kink used to piss me off something rotten every time I looked at the bike.

About buying a Bonnie in order to make it look like a Thruxton. That wasn't the intention when I bought it, a few mods were for comfort. How was I to know the Bonnie seat is like a plank of wood. And rearsets make for more comfy open road riding.

Besides if you don't like it, who cares. Stop over analysing things and ride your fucking bike you pogue.

The rest of you guys know where it's at.

Peace.

Last edited:

sportyone

Street Tracker
thanks guys, sorry I didn't really want to start a slagging match, was mearly an observation.
I have just brought a new Bonne and my son has a Thruxton, so we hope to do some nice rides together .

cheers

BornAgain

Scooter
How much did the Thunderbird setup cost you? I like it not to radical like some of the aftermarket rearsets are. Nice work and thanks for the pics.

KiwiRat

Scooter
How much did the Thunderbird setup cost you? I like it not to radical like some of the aftermarket rearsets are. Nice work and thanks for the pics.

I can't recall exactly how much it cost me. It's certainly not any cheaper than a set of Norman Hyde's etc, but I did it that way mainly to keep everything from the Triumph parts bin.