Hitch Receiver MC Carrier

Any one have experience with a hitch receiver motorcycle carrier?
Not looking for a trailer to transport bike to shop or bother anyone to tag along with me.
On line search resulted in a Versahual Steel MC Carrier, rated at 600 lb. and a channel length of 77.5" long.
I believe the Bonniville weighs full @ 496 lb. and a wheel base of 59".
With the ramp the price is $582 w/free shipping & handeling.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I've never seen anyone haul anything larger than an old 350 Honda using one of those...it seems awful close to the design limits of the carrier. What sort of tongue weight rating does your hitch/vehicle have?

Personally, I'd be nervous as a cat to do that....

Regards,

--Rich

whyme

TT Racer
I have one in my garage that came with my scrambler. The seller told me he used it a couple of times. I've used it 0 times. I'd be interested in selling it and I'm in North NJ. Not sure of the brand though but I'll check it out if you are interested.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Likewise... seen dirt bikes a plenty on these.
Vehicle carrying capacity chart - good info - on the right truck with the right
suspension
700 lbs...
http://versahaul.com/vehiclecarrycapacity.php

Yeah, but there is this caveat noted on the linked page:

"Note: do not exceed your vehicle hitch rating. Most Class III hitches are rated for 500 lbs."

The carrier can be rated higher, but make sure your tongue weight capacity is equally capable...

Regards,

--Rich

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I have carried my bonnie on a crank up and down hitch carrier for many thousands of miles. I removed the steel trough for the bike and installed one of aluminum. I also modified the carrier with tabs and use two very heavy duty ratchet straps to eye bolts on the back end of my truck side rails. They take up a lot of the weight and stabilize the carrier. I also use a carrier pin that bolts the carrier up to the side of the receiver.

This appears to be the latest version of the carrier.

http://magnetatrailers.com/receiverhitchaccessories/dirtbikescootercaddy.html

Note in my photos that I had the carrier rails cut and welded up at 45 degrees to keep them from catching when backing up. I also drilled large holes where the eyebolts for straps are located so that I can put the s hooks in from inside to out to prevent worries of a slack one coming out. This also allows me to mount the lift mechanism to the truck and then insert the carrier. Much lighter and easier that way. This thing is strong. I was hit from the back at a stoplight and the carrier only dented my bumper, but it killed the car that hit me. No damage to the carrier at all. I have probably carried the bike 10,000 miles on this so far. I use a battery drill to raise and lower the bike. Can also do it with the hand crank.

Had to add air springs to the truck and with those, the truck rides level and handles well at highway speeds. Also increase the air pressure in the rear tires.

Note that the first photo was taken before the load straps to the bed rails and before the air springs. I also now have tabs welded on the carrier for the heavy load straps.

I avoid rough roads and dips or take them slowly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bike_carrier  017cr.jpg
    bike_carrier 017cr.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • straps_sm.jpg
    straps_sm.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

geolpilot

Street Tracker
Here is another photo high in Colorado with the air springs and the load straps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bike carrier colorado sm.jpg
    bike carrier colorado sm.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
geolpilot,
I still have not received hitch carrier, so I don't know the fit design as to being on my truck.
I like the design change of the rear tie down rail to 45 degees. My son in law welds so I can have him change it out.
Plus the extra tie downs to the truck bed would seem to take some weight / bounce / sway off the hitch receiver itself.