Hit with the ugly stick...

ivar

TT Racer
Not exactly the best starting point for a cafe/roadster :p - but would it be possible to make this contraption look halfway decent without sinking too much money into it...?

Havent seen many XJ based builds - would be fun (and hard) doing something a bit off the beaten path.

For a start, losing the cases, rack, mirrors, headlight/gauges would probably make it look 200lbs lighter.

Or maybe one should let it be - maybe the weird early 80's styling will be tomorrows classics and unmolested bikes rarer than hen's teeth :lol:

96_-1039735286.jpg

Apart from the front set up. Thats an awesome looking bike. Got a bit of a Hurricane look to it. If had better handles, front light, indicators and speedo/ tacho, and lost the panniers I reckon it would look good.

Attachments

• millenium-900.jpg
    millenium-900.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
That bike has A LOT of potential. The bags are a real eye sore but that is the easiest thing to get ride of. Get rid of the boxed up instruments and have something flowing more into the light as well as bars. M bar, clip-ons, clubmans...you have a lot of choices and the frame, tank, and engine are already there. I think it could be a really fun project.

strokerlmt

Ivar I think it has a lot of potential. Take a ton of wt off.....mess with the exhaust, front end and you have a great project....go for it...
LMT

ivar

TT Racer
Yeah I agree it looks a bit hurricane-ish with those tank-side panel lines.

IMO, the biggest eyesore is the combo of headlights + gauge cluster, perched way up there.
According to the ad, it looks nice for its age, rusty collector pipe, and some minor work needed. And price is negotiable.
front view:
96_2059591338.jpg

simple: remove everything not needed to make it go/stop/turn, get a 5-3/4" round headlight, an angle grinder, and a can of BBQ paint and you're done!

I did a KZ550ltd project a year or so ago.

Started with this:

kevinskz.jpg

and ended up with this:

DSCN1481.jpg

total cost including price of the bike was under $1200

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
simple: remove everything not needed to make it go/stop/turn, get a 5-3/4" round headlight, an angle grinder, and a can of BBQ paint and you're done!

I did a KZ550ltd project a year or so ago.

That KZ build was very inspiring, a cool bike for not much money.

It was a good thing Yamaha didn't try to copy the Seca headlight/instrument cluster when they made the XJR1300 :)
2009-XJR1300-static-06_prv_tcm46-271383.jpg

ivar

TT Racer
If I start on this, it looks like the most time consuming part will be to get rid of all the wire: (from xjbikes.com)
Makes the Bonnie wiring look minimalistic :)
IMG_4779.jpg

Last edited:

dschief

750cc
2 things to watch for on an XJ:
Starter sprag clutches are weak, a notorious problem with these bikes.
The carbs are Hitachi's, which are very hard to find parts for, are expensive when you do find them. Keyster makes rebuild kits for them, but Keyster kits are junk. The gaskets are usable but the needle and seat are poorly made. The CV diaphragms are hard to locate, and very costly when you do find them.
The good news is Jardine makes a very nice 4 into 1 exhaust for these bikes.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Dude, no..... I dont see a cafe racer there. I see a bike that will take up space and money....maybe a reliable commuter UJM with an ugly tank and ugly gauges.

ivar

TT Racer
I hear ya, probably more work than its worth :lol: (But would be an interesting exercise anyway)

here's one dude that really wanted a thrux:
Bike-Apr15-076.jpg

Pete R

Banned
I had an XJ750, bought new back in '83. Real nice bike except for the computerized dash (especially the low fuel warning light - what a pain in the bum)

I was just thinking about the old XJ on the weekend while looking at the Thruxton's (urine jar) front brake reservoir. I'm pretty sure the standard XJ had it's reservoir down under the headlight somewhere between the triple clamps? It'd be a bloody nice thing on the Thruxton - and get that piss bottle off the clip on!

Pete :)

Edit - I'm looking at the pic (I hope the link below works) and I can't see the front brake reservoir...maybe it is down where I thought? Please lemme know how it's done!!! I hate my piss bottle!!!

96_-1039735286.jpg

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
I recall reading on the XJ forum that the reservoir was hidden somewhere behind the headlight.

BTW, haven't looked at the bike yet - I'll go look at it when I go on vacation in 10 days if he still got it.

Pete R

Banned
No worries mate :)

I can't remember if there was a cable running to a master cylinder and reservoir, or whether there was just the reservoir down there. It's bugging the shit of me now.

The system would make the Thruxton's clip-ons very tidy :cool:

Pete R

Banned
Google :rolleyes:

Start with the front brakes. They are conventional enough looking dual 11.6-in. hydraulic discs. But follow the hydraulic lines up from the calipers and you'll find they end at a master cylinder tucked behind the headlight, between the fork legs. From there, a cable leads to the front brake lever. The brake system is set up that way so that Yamaha designers could avoid having a master cylinder reservoir perched on the handlebars—instead, they sought a clean, sleek, uncluttered look. The bars themselves are hidden and shaped by padded rubber covers, interesting items that prevent securing the bike into a truck or van the usual way.