Hi from hertfordshire In the UK

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi all my name is Dave and I live just North of London in the UK, I have always loved bikes as did my father and brothers, I had a moped at 16 a Fantic Ti 50cc handed down from my older brother in 1976, got a car licence and car until 79 and got myself 1964 BSA C15 250cc for few yrs, met the woman of my dreams and married in 83 and back in a car.
In 2007 26 yrs later I got myself a Suzuki Marauder 125 to use for work so the wife could use the car, I decided after 12 months it was time to take a test as always wished I had done it yrs ago and didn't want to do another CBT, passed in Aug 09 with A2 restriction, so got a Yamaha Dragstar 650 and had it restricted to 33bhp as required for 2yrs, after which I got my 2005 Triumph Bonneville 790 in Goodwood Green, from a private seller, she ran well for a short while but had issues, poor running , lack of power at times so I had a carb kit fitted locally, gaskets and std jets a ballance as the bike had been stored for for some time before I got it, which helped but still not right, I think I found the answer when I noticed that the AI system had been removed and the airbox plug was missing from the top of the box, so I made one up and fitted it and it made her run much better, my first oil change also showed another problem, fuel in the oil,so I now turn off my fuel tap, which seems to have stopped it fingers crossed.

Well not a great start for the bike of my dreams but the last 12 months have been a blast I love the bike, but I need to put more miles on her which will happen this summer,

I love this forum it's friendly, knowledgable and fun, so happy to be a part of it,
Will post pic when I work out the best way to do it,
Thanks for reading this rather long post.

here she is.
8iqq.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Roger

Street Tracker
Hi Brylcreem from Canada here. Even with the few problems you found, your bike is a nice find. I sure do like that green colour. I got lucky with my 2003 T100. One owner and it was stored mostly. It hasn't given me one problem and runs great. We are frozen in here for now so no riding. I seem to spend a lot of time here browsing through a lot of the older posts here. Some good stuff to be found.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Welcome to the forum! Good looking bike you got there and you definitely came to the right place if you need to work on the bike and have some questions.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Thanks guys ,I love seeing lots of Bonnie's and the mods they have done to them, mine is pretty std, except for AI removed,I added the rear rack and heritage tank badges, I have done a cheat strip and polish of the engine casings as they had some corrosion, but didn't remove them from the bike, still look much better than before, but they still need a bit of work so will do next summer, I use my bike all year round so need to keep on top of cleaning but it's a battle as she lives under a bike cover on the shady side of my house, not the best place for her, but the only one,

Roger

Street Tracker
You need to get something like CorrosionX, or in your neck of the woods, ACF-50. This shit works. I used to use something called WaxOyl on car panels. I don't think it's available anymore. Just keep it off the tires and brakes.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

http://www.corrosionx.net/index.html

I didn't have anything like this before I put my bike away this winter but I did spray a silicone lube all over the bike. Messy but it will wipe off in the spring.

EDIT: Don't use WD-40! That stuff is crap. All it's good for is driving water out of a soaked ignition system or for test starting an engine that has bad carbs on it. If I want to get seized bolts or nuts loose, I drop some motor oil on the threads and use a small propane or butane torch to draw the oil in with heat. You need a bit of heat anyhow to break a seized thread. WD-40 disappears like a fart in a hurricane.

Last edited:

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi Mr Noisy, nice to know there's another Bonnie nearby, don't see many round here, and see none during the winter, mine is used all year round if weather permits.

Brylcreem

Scooter
As yet no gritting around here yet but expect it soon, don't mind the wet but salt gives me the shivers, you can almost hear the chrome groan :(

Hughesy

Scooter
Welcome aboard from Australia. As a relatively new rider, I often talk to folk who wistfully remark how they used to ride....until they met their partner. While recognising everyone has their own unique situation and sometimes there are compelling reasons to stop (eg. finance), and far be it for me to judge, but I just feel that it's kinda sad when a passion is stopped because of the influence of another. I've found that in many cases it's simply because the 'other' just feels it's too unsafe.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi hughesy
My other half has always been supportive of me riding, it was my decision to sell my bike for 2 reasons, new legislation came in restricting learner plate riders to 125 cc forcing us with 250s to take a test, my wife had 2 young kids from a previous marriage so I decided to sell the bike so we could all go out together in a car, my only regret was not doing the test when it was less complicated not giving up the bike, my new family came first, but I have since passed that test and put that ghost to bed, with full support from the wife as she new how much I wanted to get back on 2 wheels, she's a good en.
How's Melbourne these days, I was staying in a small town called Nagambie near Seymour about 40 miles north of you back in 1978 and went to Melbourne market a few times, also drove along the Great Ocean Road up to Adelaide to visit relations, was in Oz for 3 months, great times.

Last edited: