Hey, where's my pants??

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Just got a new jacket for the upcoming season, the Fieldsheer MotoMorph. Haven't had a chance to try it just yet, but I'll let everyone know when I do. Anyway, the new jacket coupled with a friend of mine's recent get off got me to thinking...
He had a low speed lowside, approx. 25 mph when he hit sand with the front wheel and went down kinda hard. He is convinced that his Hein Gericke jacket saved him from a hospital visit, but his leg was chewed up pretty good, nothing broken. He was wearing jeans.
I've been thinking about getting some specific riding pants for a while, so here goes my criteria:
Must be no warmer than jeans, preferably cooler, since most of my riding is in 85-100 degree 90% humidity.
Must have knee armor at a minimum, prefer hips as well.
Must NOT look like racing pants, off-road pants etc.
Basically just a pair of khakis with armor would be perfect. Something I can wear when running errands and not look llike a storm trooper walking around in the stores. The closest I've found yet are these
http://www.newenough.com/protective...ldsheer/slip_on_textile_motorcycle_pants.html
the only problem being they don't have hip pads. Anyone got any experience with them or similar?
BTW I have a set of vented TourMaster pants with armor now, but they don't get worn much because they are strictly for riding, and look and feel strange walking around. If I'm going riding and that's all, it's ok, but I usually combine other activities.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Dude, you are so right...even my 3 1/2 year old is singing that F'ing song!
As for the fire hose pants, I was considering them. The only prob. was a review I read on Webbikeworld. According to them, the material doesn't breathe well, and although it is a tough fabric, some people had problems with the seams coming apart. I do like the Diamond Gusset crotch design tho. Tried a pair of their jeans at bike week a few years ago, and it really does make a difference when sitting.
BTW, I love what they call their jeans- The Ballroom..

Last edited:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Damn those Motoport pants are nice. $319 is a little more than I can do tho. But I'll remember those for once the wife gets re-employed. Now if they could just do something about the fact that they look like old man's polyester pants...good features though.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
you probably know this, but fieldsheer claims that all their jackets zip to all their pants.

I have a Fieldsheer jacket, and I am only getting their pants.

These claim to have hip pads and they are cheaper -

http://www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WPS-471-7103

Here are some Sliders Khakis on sale

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1001002/p/16603

by the way, these textile jackets will make you sweat. Mine is bearable only to about 85 degrees, after that its sticks to my skin and is just awful....on the other hand, I have ridden in the worst rainstorms and found they stay totally impervious..

Last edited:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
The sliders are nice, but no armor. Those Fieldsheer jeans don't look bad, but black is so damn hot, and it says they have a rain liner, but doesn't mention if it's removable. So far the Slip-on pants look the best. Light silver color should keep cool. The kevlar Sliders gave me an idea though. Wonder if I could just cut up some of the material from one of my expired ballistic vests and have it sewn into the hips or other areas? It's probably not the same type of weave, but hey the price is right...

koifarm

Hooligan
I've got a pair of the Firehouse jeans, they are heavy weight and fit well but I think they would be more of a bluejean as far as crashworthy.
Also got a pair of Draggin Jeans and would rate those as much better than the Firehouse simply because of the kevlar in them.
Both pair are warm in the summer due to the weight/kevlar but I feel safer in the Draggin Jeans as far as protection.
Just my $.02