Helloooo from SA again.

Alan.G

moped
Wondered why TRN seemed so quite. Cool relaxed site you guys have got going and it is really a pleasure to have a TBA and SM area again.
I see the Ace Cafe is the busiest section on the board......wonder why?
Serious question from me, i read about the airbox restrictor plate for the first time the other day. How the hell do you remove it from a SM or TBA or do you have to cut them out?
Secondly, does it make that much difference to make it worth the effort?
Looking forward to getting plenty help in the future.......Cheers.

gilligan

Scooter
I have an '07 TBA and pulled the snorkle and drilled a hole in the bottom of the airbox and uni-filter. To make further airbox mods looked difficult, and at that point you might as well just go with the freak kit. Not sure if the earlier TBA models were different and could be modded further leaving the stock airbox intact.

mrt202

Street Tracker
I have an '07 TBA and pulled the snorkle and drilled a hole in the bottom of the airbox and uni-filter. To make further airbox mods looked difficult, and at that point you might as well just go with the freak kit. Not sure if the earlier TBA models were different and could be modded further leaving the stock airbox intact.
I removed a total of 3 snorkels and a "wall" and drilled the bottom of my airbox. It has to be removed and disassembled to do that. I would think the later models are probably the same.

Alan.G

moped
Thanks for the replies, I have an 07 model Speedy and have the snorkel removed with a K&N air filter installed this model only had one snorkel, it is the 'plate' that i am wondering about. Are there any significant gains in removing it?

zmilin

Street Tracker

popcorn

moped
If it's the restrictor plate I think it is its put on there to cut the power down when you first are learning to ride a bike for the first time. Someone from over the pond would have to maybe comment on that, we've never had them here.

mike

Scooter
There is a plate or wall seperating the filter area from the part of the airbox that leads to the carbs. It goes from the bottom of the box to about 2/3 the way up. If I understand correctly the plate is removable in some of the older Bonnevilles. The plate in the Speedmaster is part of the airbox and needs to be ground out with a dremel or similar tool . As to whether it is worth going through the trouble to remove it only someone who did a before and after dyno run could attest to it unless you consider the seat of your pants dyno. I drilled my airbox, cut out the plate and installed the k&n. which forced me to rejet.
now what improved my bike? next best thing would be the freak.

mike

Sledge

moped
No drill mod here

I have not drilled the bottom of my airbox, but have opened up the top inlet and glued in a rubber strip to keep water out. It rains a bit here in New Zealand and I have read that some people have had issues with water coming up through the drilled hole.I am interested in hearing if removing the restrictor has any affect at all, good or bad. I also have just installed Thunderbike cams and run a dynojet kit using a DJ126 main, and one shim under each DJ needle and 42 pilot jets.Also Thunderbike pipes fitted and air injection long gone.
In the end i will probably fit FCR's and a freak unless a new Thunderbird finds it way into my garage.
Incidentally I was not all that impressed with the TB's performance, suffers from all that performance robbing emission gear.Handles well though.

DIRK

750cc
tony you did a lot of work on the getto mod. must be an easier albeit more expensive way to do the same sort of job. good on ya