Hello pavement, how nice to meet you

Savantjk

Street Tracker
First time down today. Luckily, I am ok enough to type this.
I left the post office to get some prints done... Started down the road.. made it about 1/4 mile and saw a car stopped to turn left. I start to brake casually... my brakes didn't get the "casual" memo. The front brakes locked up... I lost traction and went down... had almost lost momentum when I reached the car just enough to scratch his bumper.... with my tank. I escaped with general road rash... nothing past the dermis.. and some stiff knees.

The Bonnie, however, was no so lucky.

The tank is the worst. It is completely dented in and leaking gasoline. My controls are rashed and the buttons are non-existent. My ace bars are angled down all the way now.. but survived virtually unscathed minus the end of one grip. My motor is clean, engine cases are clean.. pegs are even still intact. My new '68 single seat is still perfect! I was able to shift the bike into neutral so I assume the transmission is ok. The impact didn't seem hard enough to do anything but mess up some cosmetics.. but we'll see.

I didn't get any tickets.. it was clear from the way that my bike was down before I ever contacted the vehicle that something went wrong and it wasn't me being reckless.

I get the police report tomorrow.. then it is on to get a repair quote and to the insurance company. Hopefully I'll be able to have the shop quote full Triumph retail prices... which we all know are high! Then I'll have money for some fun bits after repairs... hell, maybe I'll even be able to afford that new tank I've been wanting.

Hope all is well with the rest of you guys!

innominate

Street Tracker
That sucks. Hopefully it all works out for ya. A triumph in Ruston. That's prob the only one? I grew up in west Monroe. The only time I've seen a triumph in them parts was when I was looking at mine.

Savantjk -- Hate to hear that. You're OK and that is the important thing.

I hope you find out what caused that and will share that with us -- that's the kind of thing that scares the hell out of me. How many miles do you have on the bike.

Has anyone else heard of brakes sticking on a Bonnie???

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
Ouch! Sounds ugly - glad to hear you are ok, though.
My Bonnie went down a month ago when a delivery driver reversed through it - luckily I wasn't on it at the time.I have since found out that some of these parts are surprisingly expensive!
Best of luck for a speedy repair job and it's then back on the road.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Glad you're OK, and it sounds as though it could have been alot worse. Here's to a speedy recovery (of you both).

Kappy

Two Stroke
feel sorry for you but it's good to hear that you are more or less alright, feel sad for the bike too but that'll be fixed in no time I guess.

Tough luck mate but glad you are OK. The Bonnie can be fixed and like you say, maybe even a chance for some more personalization. Did you check to see if there was diesel or something on the road?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Tough break. Sounds like your riding spirit wasn't affected, that's good. Haven't been down yet myself but doubt I'd be able to bounce back so quickly after a scare like that.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
That sucks. Hopefully it all works out for ya. A triumph in Ruston. That's prob the only one? I grew up in west Monroe. The only time I've seen a triumph in them parts was when I was looking at mine.

I haven't seen another...ever. I hadn't even seen one in person until I drove to Atlanta to get mine! The only other bike I know of in town that isn't a harley or japanese is one Ducati Monster. The cop asked what type of bike it was.. I said Triumph.. he asked who makes that? I said Triumph.. He had never heard of them.

Here's some pics of the main damage.

Before (well this is the most recent pic of the whole bike anyway)

29prurl.jpg

After.. didn't take pics of all the rash.. just the tank since it was the worse

29eswop.jpg

2a282w.jpg

Part of my road rash
fkzcck.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Savantjk -- Hate to hear that. You're OK and that is the important thing.

I hope you find out what caused that and will share that with us -- that's the kind of thing that scares the hell out of me. How many miles do you have on the bike.

Has anyone else heard of brakes sticking on a Bonnie???

I have about 11,500 mi on the clock... a little extra, but right around there.

It has been nasty weather here all week... the bike was under my carport, but I'm sure the Louisiana humidity still got to it. Today was the first non-rainy day.. although it was still overcast. I'm sure this contributed to it.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Not good but great you are ok mate, you can always fix the bonne but it is not always possible to fix yourself, best of luck for a speedy recovery!

Kind Regards Ben Dickens

T-boy

Rocker
"Ouch" for the Bonnie, but glad to hear you're okay. Could have been much worse all the way around! Both of you heal up quickly.

mark66

TT Racer
Sorry to hear about your meeting with the pavement. Good to hear your not to banged up although I'm sure that road rash hurts like hell.

KingBear

Hooligan
Damn! Not unlike my incident where a walk in the park goes bad. Wishing for a speedy recovery for both you and your ride.